Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Tkc23

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM
A very strange prediciment...

So a few months ago during spring break my dad and i decided to just to go down and look at corvettes at our local chevy dealer and all we really went down there to go look at was a ZR1 but Then when we finished looking at the ZR1 he said "Michael go order your camaro and be sure to get the SS!" Now im 16 but ive been absolutely in love with the camaro ever since the concept came out in 2005... so i ordered my prefect camaro 2SS/RS IOM exterior and int with CGM stripes. So we order the car and im not able to sleep for the next few days. My dad goes back to LA where he lives and were both ecstatic about the car.

So the car gets built and comes in on July 1st. Now my dad is running around on business busy closing up a deal and cant get in until the 18th (This saturday) and the dealer was gracious enough to not sell it to anyone else, were both super excited. but theres one problem my dads business partner was supposed to get him the money that we needed to buy the car but his business partner basically does everything at the last possible second, and my theory is because he used to coach at CU on the football team and is not used to really planning games ahead just for the next one.

Now this is eating my dad up inside he is extremely stressed out and sounds that hes about to go crazy when i talk to him on the phone. He also seems depressed that he let me down, which im NOT at all i know that very few 16 year olds are getting this experience to begin with. And personally since hes told me this its also been eating away at me and im not as excited for the car as i should be, but im still in love with the camaro and everything GM. So heres where i need your guys advice on, do i just tell my dealer to go ahead and sell the car and tell my dad that I let the car go because id rather not have him stressed out to the point of craziness plus i wouldnt really know how to say to my dad that i let the car be sold because i cant stand to see you like this and i know this car means alot to my dad because hes just as big of a camaro fan as i am and hes pretty much told me "ill do just about anything to get you into this car". OR do i just let my dad worry about it take the car and be happy which i know my excitement level will just go through the roof when we go in on saturday.

please guys this is a very tough decision that ive been thinking about for days and ive lost a lot of sleep over it but cant decide the right thing to do.

thanks guys any and all help is appreciated
3000 (accepted to production): 4/30/09
3300 (scheduled for prod): i dunno
3400 (broadcast): 6/10/09
3800 (produced): 6/15/09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped): expected delivery 6/29! (according to dealer)
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):
5000 (at dealer):7/1/09
6000 (delivered)7/25/09!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
Ya whatever!!!!

1. if your 16 years old you do not deserve a 2010 ss camaro.
2. if this story is true your father is a complete moron for letting you get a 2010 ss camaro.
3.what dealer on earth would let a 16 year old order anything other than some floor mats in the parts dept?

just my thoughts
Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
TKC23, I still dont get why your dads business partner is giving the money for the car. Is he gonna run the car purchase through the business?

Second, I DO NOT in ANY way want to come over rude or condescending BUT I think this is a blessing in disguise. I dont know your driving experience, I am sure that you could handle 426 horses and the limelight that goes with this car. But 99.9999% cannot and especially at 16!!

Yesterday I came out of a restuarant and everyone was egging me on to leave rubber on the ground. Its my car, its my rubber that I pay for, so I WONT wreck my car to get cheers from people that I dont know or care about.

Also the speed factor. Dude this car is a killer fast. I cant even fathom why your father would want you behind the wheel of this car at your age! My son is desperate for this car too. He is 14 and I had to explain it to him that cars like this cost a lot, they can also cost you your life. I promised him I would buy him a beater to learn and then gain experience on. When he is old enough to afford a 2ss/RS will I allow him behind one.

I Love my kid, and I am sure your dad loves you too, but allowing you this car is just asking for a bed in ICU. Purely cos of your age and experience. I know when I was 16 I thought I knew EVERYTHING. No one could tell me better.

I good few years later, I still have so much to learn.

Sell the car on. Your time will come and it WILL be the right time for YOU!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarofan69 View Post
Ya whatever!!!!

2. if this story is true your father is a complete moron for letting you get a 2010 ss camaro.
3.what dealer on earth would let a 16 year old order anything other than some floor mats in the parts dept?

just my thoughts
With respect ... how about some positive feedback. The guy is already hurting he aint getting his car. He's 16 for goodness sake!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
Camarofan69
The Autoglass Guy

Drives: 1969 SS 396, 1969 SS , 2010 RS
i dont buy the story
Old 07-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
Damn, life is rough huh?
Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Quote:
i dont buy the story
I buy it...separated parents will usually spend more money on their kids.

I don't think a 16-year old should be driving a SS. However, if I was 16 and was getting this car I would be estatic.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
binlow84

Drives: '10 Camaro, IBM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Ya whatever!!!!

just my thoughts
Wow, someone forget to take their pills this morning....?
1. Just because you didn't have this chance at his age doesn't mean no one deserves it. The fact that the kid is more bothered by the fact it's killing his dad than the fact that he's not getting the car tells me he probably deserves one more than you.
2. Some parents actually like to do things for their kids, and if it's within their means (and it seems like it appeared to be at the time) more power to them, as long as it doesn't spoil the kid. Again, judging from the post that doesn't seem to be the case.
3. Last I checked 16 is still the legal driving age. If a parent is present why wouldn't a dealer accept the order? Worst comes to worst the dealer has a car they can sell at a markup when it comes in.

Of course, just my thoughts.

As to the OP:
Seriously, if it bothers you that much the admirable thing to do would be to let it go for now. However, if you're worried about your dad thinking he's letting you down I can imagine he would feel even more so if you let it go without telling him. My advice: talk to him about it. Make the decision together. It's his money and obviously it's important for him to do this for you.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
That is simple, tell your dad not to worry, if it works out then great. If not, no big deal you will get one once you or he gets the money.....

As for not having a SS at 16.... I had just as nice cars at 16 and even though i did mature over time there are some mature 16 year olds.

I still see older people 40-50-60s that drive WAY to fast on the public street.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
You should learn to drive first before getting into such a car. Wait until you're 21 and have an idea what you plan on doing with your life...
Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #11
KJS

Drives: '10 RJT,'95&'14 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
With respect ... how about some positive feedback. The guy is already hurting he aint getting his car. He's 16 for goodness sake!
+1

Son, tell your Dad the truth. You'll feel better and he'll respect you for being up front with him.

I've learned that things happen for a reason, maybe this just isn't your time.

(AND Camarofan - what's he got to gain by making this up?????)

I'm learning a whole lot about human nature on this forum. Man, I have never heard as many absolutely negative people who refuse to believe anything anyone says as I've heard here. From people being questioned about the legitimacy of their one day old totaled Camaro's, to a person asking for advice. Geeze........)

Mine at sunset
Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #12
JewelZ
Just Lovin' My Camaro!

Drives: CGM 2LT/RS/AUTO
Quote:
i dont buy the story

Sorry to hear that you don't buy this poor kids story. Let me tell you I was 15 and just had got a brand new Mustang 2002 the day after I got my learners. If his dad cares for his son and feels his son is old enough and mature enough to handle such power than he deserves the SS 100%.

As for my advice to you bro you don't tell the dealer anything until you actually get the 'go' or 'no go' from your dad or his partner. You can get the car as long as you feel you are mature and will treat it seriously, not like a toy. BTW, sorry for calling you 'kid', you are a young adult just like myself eventhough I got almost 7 years on you. Just chill out it's only a car not the whole world revolves around it. Your dad loves you very much, I'm glad to see that there are still relationships out there like your's with your father. Me and my dad share a similar bond. Tell your dad that he hasn't let you down at all, because even considering to buy something like that is a long shot for many people in this recession and most parents don't even bother with buying their kids cars at all. I hope and pray that you will get your car in the best situation possible and your dad won't have to bend over backwards to get it and his idiot for a partner will come through flawlessly. Just breath and sit back.

NJHKKM $29,965.00 1EH37 1100 03/28/2009 AFF, B34, DCP, FE9, GBV, LLT, MX0, SGC, UQA, WRS, 2LT

50 YEARS FROM NOW, DON'T YOU WANNA BE ABLE TO LOOK BACK AND SAY YOU HAD THE GUTS TO GET INTO THE CAR!?!?

ORDER STATUS : 6000 as of 08.18.2009. VIN# 33,985!!! His name is 'GOLIATH'!!!

GOT MY CAR!!!! AND I LOVE IT!!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
ss1129
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2010 2ss
Quote:
Ya whatever!!!!

just my thoughts
^ What this guy said. The average 16 year old kid driving a camaro will make mature owners look like douche bags. Not saying all, just the average. I should know. I remember taking my dads vette and 69 malibu out at 16-17.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
Camaro5dude
2LT Black / Black

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Black/Black
Too young for an SS!!
Let him know first! But I'd let it go.

P.S. I'd take a few bucks and get a new keyboard with a shift key and an apostrophe that works.

Closed Thread