Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Worth the money?

Is upgrading my breaks to say the SS breaks worth the cash it would cost me? I researched the ZL1 break packages and it's about 5k for the fronts and about 7k for the rears according to the Chevrolet Performance parts list. That's a bit much for just breaks. I would trade my car in for an SS or ZL1 if i needed it that bad. I want a bit more beef on the breaks but more in the chicken price range

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I would say yes, the SS Brembos sound like a good upgrade for your situation. Slightly used sets are plentiful and fairly inexpensive in the classifieds section, and you might even be able to find someone willing to make some sort of swap deal with you for the rear brakes. Some guys want to install V6 brakes on the rear of their SS so they can install 16" wheels for drag racing. I can't believe the prices are that high on the ZL1 brakes, that's just stupid!!! You can buy "Racing Brake" rotors/calipers much cheaper than that!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
The SS Brembos should be fine, but if you rally want ZL1-CTS-V brakes they can be had for less than $2,000, see my signature below. ZL1 rotors and calipers are more expensive than the CTS-V but the only difference is the ZL1 has heavier two piece rotors and the CTS-V has lighter dual cast rotors. The calipers are the same except the color and logo. I can get you a complete front upgrade for $1,750 or less depending on what you want. The rears of the ZL1 and CTS-V are the same as the SS rears with the exception of the CTS-V rotor whice has a different offset.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
what are breaks?
Old 12-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
1995 post, I bet 1990 of them are him correcting people's spelling...DUH.
I'm with you NJBourne, $2000/ 4 car payments for front brakes wasn't in my wallet either. I'll tell you what I did, piece by piece, Hawk pads,first front , then rears. Stainless steel brake lines, Changed the brake fluid to dot4, then Decela-Rotors. About $700 and a very nice improvement. PS. you can do all of the work yourself. I'm sure there will be a few that say I'm wrong, but I'm just giving Chicken soup budget advice. Happy New Year!
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Depends on what you plan to do with your Camaro. If it is still going to be just for the street, save the money, maybe buy some nice rotors and pads for your current set-up.

If you plan to track your Camaro, for sure look to get the Brembo's from an SS, they can be found cheap. A set just sold for $750.

The V6 ones work just as good on the street as the Brembo's, however, once you take them both to the track, that is when the Brembo's shine as they will not fade anywhere near as fast as the V6 set-up.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
1995 post, I bet 1990 of them are him correcting people's spelling...DUH.
I'm with you NJBourne, $2000/ 4 car payments for front brakes wasn't in my wallet either. I'll tell you what I did, piece by piece, Hawk pads,first front , then rears. Stainless steel brake lines, Changed the brake fluid to dot4, then Decela-Rotors. About $700 and a very nice improvement. PS. you can do all of the work yourself. I'm sure there will be a few that say I'm wrong, but I'm just giving Chicken soup budget advice. Happy New Year!

no jack ass 1990 aren't correcting people's spelling and I wasn't correcting his, I was asking a question because my car doesn't have breaks.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
The SS Brembos are a great upgrade. I'd buy them from a seller on these forums instead of buying the GMPP kits though. Those kit prices are just crazy expensive.

I went with SS Brembos (powder coated my mike), Castrol DOT 4 fluid, Hawk HPS pads, Goodridge stainless lines and DBA rotors. I also installed the SS master cylinder and rear wheel dust shields.

On the street this setup stops much more smoothly and much more consistently the v6 setup. I haven't tracked them yet, so I don't have much to say about the fade resistance.