Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #29
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
The reason they don't recommend it anymore is what Dawn can do to dry out trim and other plastic.

A few ounces of APC will do the job, but Dawn removes wax like nothing else. (Original blue Dawn, not the foo foo stuff with moisturizers, etc.)
respectfully disagree....you use it ONCE..not all the time ,and no product out there "drys out trim and other plastic" in one application. UV takes more out per day that what dawn can do. Zaino still recommends Dawn . I doubt anybody that sells an APC will recommend something that you can get at any store vs selling you a $15 bottle of their APC - which can be had by the gallon at any Lowes...

seriously, I know you guys love Adams stuff but come up for air every now and then and visit a few detailing sites to see what else is going on out there...
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #30
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
respectfully disagree....you use it ONCE..not all the time ,and no product out there "drys out trim and other plastic" in one application. UV takes more out per day that what dawn can do. Zaino still recommends Dawn . I doubt anybody that sells an APC will recommend something that you can get at any store vs selling you a $15 bottle of their APC - which can be had by the gallon at any Lowes...

seriously, I know you guys love Adams stuff but come up for air every now and then and visit a few detailing sites to see what else is going on out there...
I'm just going to leave this comment here......

Generally you should avoid the use of household cleaning products for automotive detailing as they are formulated for an entirely different type of cleaning (unless you couldn't care any less about the car and want to save a buck).... Your cars surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. Plus all the added emollients & moisturizers that are added into Dawn.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #31
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: SGM
Or you can use chemical guys citrus wash and gloss shampoo. Stuff strips wax like a boss haha.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #32
Ject
aka Patrick

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS '04 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to Ject
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Or you can use chemical guys citrus wash and gloss shampoo. Stuff strips wax like a boss haha.
Never used it before but if this was facebook I'd like this comment lol
Old 06-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #33
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 221SS1LE
I use a flame-thrower,no reallyAll joking aside I just got some Dodo juice total wipeout,and I have the CG citrus wash,but out of curiosity when you clay and then polish have you not removed any prior applications of said products
LikaRokBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #34
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaRokBowTie View Post
I use a flame-thrower,no reallyAll joking aside I just got some Dodo juice total wipeout,and I have the CG citrus wash,but out of curiosity when you clay and then polish have you not removed any prior applications of said products
in theory, yes you have....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #35
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

What is there to disagree with? Their stance is "can dry out" - not "will dry out" trim. Speaking of coming up for air - you anti-Adam's guys should. I specifically said that a few ounces of APC will do the trick, but heaped praises on Dawn for how it removes wax.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #36
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Holy shit I just wanted this to be a place where I can share my thoughts on Adam's stuff...
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #37
trm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Holy shit I just wanted this to be a place where I can share my thoughts on Adam's stuff...
You may want to sign up at Adamsforums.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #38
trm2

Actually here is a post from Autogeek. They don't like dishwashing soap either,

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1584051799-post4.html
Old 06-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #39
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Jesus people. Its not that serious. You CAN use Dawn with absolutely no ill effects for a periodic strip wash. Or you CAN use a dedicated strip wash that will do the same thing and come in a shiny bottle.

Generally the only people I see saying Dawn is bad are those with an alternative product to sell. Such as Adam's with APC. And even those guys always say Dawn is perfectly fine to use once in a while.

I really don't care what any of you use. It's your money and your car. These shit fits are becoming way too commonplace on here lately. Its only paint people.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #40
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
You may want to sign up at Adamsforums.
I might just do that. I'm not becoming an Adam's snob, I've just heard great things about their products and decided to try their stuff out. Hence this thread.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #41
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #42
trm2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
I might just do that. I'm not becoming an Adam's snob, I've just heard great things about their products and decided to try their stuff out. Hence this thread.
Adam's does indeed make some excellent products, but there are other companies as well.

It seems on this forum there are three groups of people, those that love Adam's and profess their love for them all the time, those that hate Adam's (whether they have used the products or not) and will jab at any Adam's anytime they can, and third, normal people .

You did order some great products, don't feel bad about that. (but do yourself a favor and order some Chemical Guys V7 - it rocks.)