Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
1hotchevy
Scottish Knight

Drives: RS/2SS 6 speed manual
Moving to South Carolina

Hello all! its been awhile since i have ben on here but i been pretty busy inspecting airplanes! Im going to be moving my family to south carolina as im looking to be promoted to manager! there are many many good things about SC and one of the best is...the weather! looking at weather patterns since they have been keeping records is...summers are nice and hot...like 90's and the winters dont get much colder then 40! which is not only great for driving my car but my Harley as well! they dont have a helmet law or a Front License plate law either...woohooo!!, so many roads to drive and so many thigns to see...where im going the beach is nearly 6 miles long and its white sandy beach with much much warmer water...plus they use NO sand or GRAVEL on their roads...less chance for those rock dings! I was born here and love it here...but it cost wayyyy to much to live here...the cost of living down there is about half what it is here...so ill be able to put ALOT more money into my car now...always a good thing . By the way TIM congrats on the MAG i know the feeling...nice to be recognized loved it when my car was in 5.0 liter mag back in 1996 its awesome feeling! everyone here has been great and the few runs i got to go on this year were alot of fun! But work and family take much of my time. Ill keep in touch and of course read this blog but ya might want to look in at SC's as well ive been told by friends that live there that there are ALOT of camaro's there...and there is no club near by...so im going to start one...already been talking to a few folks there and hope to have a formal club by next summer!, anyway...congrats again tim!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Jayhawk500

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Good Luck! Have a Safe Trip and keep in touch!

2010 2SS/RS, Six speed, Rally Yellow w/ Black Painted Stripes, Boston Acoustic Stereo, Polished 20" wheels, Solo Mach X Catback Exhaust, Solo HF Cats, Halltech CAI, Full Dash & Door ABL, ABL Lit Homelink Buttons, HUD Installed, Ride Tunes, Full Electric Passenger Seat, Fbodfather signed, VIN # 4492, PAID OFF!!!
2010 Yellow 2SS/RS with black painted Stripes...$37,000.00; Ride Tones sound system and remote...$ 40.00; Seeing the kids faces (Young and Old) light up and almost wet their pants....Priceless!!!
Jayhawk500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Dragonlady
Lovin' it!

Drives: 2010 Synergy or a '83 Z-28.
Keep me posted on how it goes in SC. I could be looking into a transfer myself since the boy graduates this year....Hubby really enjoyed touring around the beaches a couple years ago. These old bones could use some heat!
Good luck!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
good luck in sc it really is nice down there my family owns a summer house rite in surfside beach
upgrades kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ deleted cats, corsa exhaust, hurst short throw shifter stage 3 comp cam, 3.91 gears ecs kit blower, meth injection, upgraded axles, drive shaft, McLeod rxt clutch, fully forged 416ci stroker all installed and dyno tuned by slowhawk performance in bridgewater ma.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Welcome to SC!! Much cheaper taxes overall comparitively to Washington. But Charleston area is a bit higher cost of living than the rest of the state for the most part. I assume you're coming to the airplane factory.

I highly advise you read this from the DMV and get familiar with what you have to do to register your car here. They can be some real A-holes sometimes about people "overextending" their out of state plates when they move into the state.

http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/default.aspx

Cool thing is you can open up some of the registration forms (Form 400 I think) fill them in and print them out so you can get everything ready to go when the time comes. You'll need proof of paying at least $300 in sales taxes on your car, proof of insurance, and the old registration and title or information on lienholder if you have one.

One good thing about living in SC, when you buy a ZL1 or SS or any Camaro, the most in sales tax you ever pay is 5% up to a max of $300. The problem comes with personal property taxes. That's how they get you back. I think I paid around $400 property taxes the first year with the 2010. But it goes down over time until it's like around $27 for an old car.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Oh, and about winters. Don't let them fool you. Charleston DOES have rougher winters sometimes. Rarely snows, but there is freezing rain every now and again. If it snows, you're fugged, because SC doesn't maintain a fleet of snow removal equipment. But they will close schools at the drop of a snowflake it seems. A week or three of temps dipping into the 20s in Jan/Feb is very possible, although not that often. Summers can be very hot and very humid and seems to start in March and last through October/November. (It's 74 degrees here outside right now, maybe a tad warmer in Charleston.)

The seemingly 4-foot mosquitos come out in the summer. Be prepared to "donate" a few gallons of blood over the summer depending where you live. And keep your eyes peeled for the occasional alligator if you do any creek fishing.

And for goodness sakes, as tempting as beachfront property may be, remember you're going to be in the target zone for HURRICANES. We went through Hugo back in 1989 when I lived in Summerville, which is about 20 miles north of Charleston. Not fun at all.

If you like cruise-ins, they have them almost year-round. So that's a good thing as well.

Here's a pic of Folly Beach after Hugo, to give you an idea these aren't simple rainstorms.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774

Last edited by el ess A; 10-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Folly Beach looked okay when I was there last year. They did a good job of cleaning it up from Hugo (And that whole Civil War thing too!). I want to go back so bad. I was there on business. I went to Vegas on business too- and I'll take SC any day!

Name:  Folly Beach 01.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  Folly Beach 02.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  Folly Beach 03.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  Folly Beach 04.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  56.1 KB

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
marine_142
Mark

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
was stationed in SC for a few years. have fun with the bugs, huge amount of pollen, and hurricanes.
marine_142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Tayap79

Drives: 2013 Victorty Red Camaro 2SS
What part of SC?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
marine_142
Mark

Drives: 2011 IOM SS/RS
MCAS Beaufort.
oh and btw..
South Carolina has a Vehicle property tax..
http://www.scdmvonline.com/dmvnew/de...?n=titleandreg

Vehicle Property Taxes
Personal property tax is collected annually on cars, trucks, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, boats and airplanes, based on their fair market value. If you own a $10,000 car, based on the average millage rate, your personal property tax would be $268.
For information about personal property tax on motor vehicles, call the auditor's office in the county where you plan to live.
marine_142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Congratulations on the promotion and the move and i know you will love it a lot, keep us all up to date on here about what's going on!
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
1hotchevy
Scottish Knight

Drives: RS/2SS 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayap79 View Post
What part of SC?
thanks guys and gals! ill be moving to summerville, i have a friend that lives close to there and he is loving it!ill put up with the bugs if i can have alot more sun! alot more bike rides there too...not so many in the rain like we do here...we dress for the worst! ill be keeping in touch here and hope to join up with some gen 5 folks there my understanding is that there are alot of camaro's there...thats awesome!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
Sleez

Drives: 2010, 2LT, RS, 6M, ABM (#1893) SOLD
was also stationed at MCAS Beaufort, from 90 to 92, really liked it there.

close to Charleston and Savannah, love them boiled peanuts!!!

i still keep in contact with some friends there.

have thought of moving back there, but need a job first!!!
2010 2LT/RS; 6M, ABM, Torq Thrust M w/custom center caps, Solo MachX-LLT, Blue Anodized Pedals, Barton Shifter w/UMI blue anodized pistol grip, Ported IM from Mace, 25mm isolator/spacer from Mace, Vararam CAI, Euro Rear Fascia, RX Breather Cap. SOLD 4/23/13.

Now have a 1965 Chevelle 4 dr wagon!!
Sleez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
Wow! Congrats on the promotion and good luck with the move and transition. I know for me at least it would be kind of hard to leave home (Puget Sound Area), but at the same time kind of cool and exciting to relocate to a totally new area.

Again, good luck and pop in and say hi from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote