Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-14-2010, 02:05 AM   #1
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Drives: C5 Vert->CGM SS RS M6->SRT8 Magnum
P13W HID bulbs for RS DRL's available from anyone yet?

I know there was someone a little while back promising that the P13W's were coming out, but I haven't seen much since (not that I've kept an incredibly watchful eye out), and didn't find much searching.

Did I miss something, or is a P13W HID bulb still just wishful thinking?
Matt'sSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Jeremeymt

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels 2LT
I think aac has them in LED for $99.95 a pair.
Jeremeymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Be warned. AAC has them but they have been very unreliable and they are now stating it is the cars' fault due to PWM when in auto mode for the lights. You will have to buy additional hardware and/or splice/cut your wiring to have them last!

If I weren't into them for a 100 bucks already, I would be looking elsewhere. You will need to stay away from LED's in general from what I am being told as they can't handle this PWM setup without the additional hardware or different power source.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Jeremeymt

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels 2LT
Oh yes I think I did hear about that. There is a member on here that sells those harnesses that allow you to control the fog lights all the time and allows for led lights to work. I see aac put these lights on sale now for 69.95 a pair.
Jeremeymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremeymt View Post
I think aac has them in LED for $99.95 a pair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Be warned. AAC has them but they have been very unreliable and they are now stating it is the cars' fault due to PWM when in auto mode for the lights. You will have to buy additional hardware and/or splice/cut your wiring to have them last!

If I weren't into them for a 100 bucks already, I would be looking elsewhere. You will need to stay away from LED's in general from what I am being told as they can't handle this PWM setup without the additional hardware or different power source.
Not looking for LED, asking about HID, thank you!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
Until AAC comes up with a solution for the P13W LED DRL lamps, skip them. I am into them for almost a hundred too and they do not work as advertised. And blaming GM is just plain stupid in my opinion.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
As much as I don't like AAC, and that's quite a bit, I have to say mine still work and I was one of the first to get them. I do agree blaming GM is a pretty crappy excuse. You'd think they would've seen this issue coming if they really are the lighting experts they claim to be. Maybe they did.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
LosXC451

Drives: 2010 SS SIM w/ RS
http://www.bfxenon.com/Camaro_RS_Fog...-camarorsf.htm
BFXenon is a sponsor here try looking for them and send them a PM
LosXC451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

H.I.D.

But it sounds like a no I guess. Oh well, the search continues.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosXC451 View Post
http://www.bfxenon.com/Camaro_RS_Fog...-camarorsf.htm
BFXenon is a sponsor here try looking for them and send them a PM
Last I had read their RS solution was to silicone in a non P13W bulb into the factory housing, which I wont go for, I'll replace the housing before I do that.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt'sSS View Post

H.I.D.

But it sounds like a no I guess. Oh well, the search continues.
Sorry about that! I didn't see that part. Didn't think there were HID's available in that format (P13W) and that you would have to change out the entire assemby to go that route.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
Matt'sSS
From 2 door to 5 door

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Sorry about that! I didn't see that part. Didn't think there were HID's available in that format (P13W) and that you would have to change out the entire assemby to go that route.
Quote:
I know there was someone a little while back promising that the P13W's were coming out...
It's not just you lol, I put HID in the title & body and got a bunch of replies on LED's

There had not been, but some vendor was making promises months ago, I just never saw anything happen with it & thought I'd check.

Oh well, there's more than one way to get rid of obnoxious yellow hued DRL's! Just not any that are particularly reliable, easy, cost effective, and perform as I would want them to it seems
Old 09-15-2010, 04:23 AM   #13
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Even if someone made an HID p13w, it would need to be a low wattage and glare to oncoming vehicles would be an issue. The fog light housings are adjustable, so I'm hoping I can aim them low enough and a 25 watt hid bulb won't be as bright. If I could find a 15-25 watt 5202 5k halogen, I think that would work well. Only 5202 halogens I could find are 35 watt or greater.

If all else fails, I'll use the brightest led 5202 available and hopefully, excessive heat doesn't reduce the life of the bulbs. Can't be worse than pwm...
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #14
Snake Slayer

Drives: Awaiting 2014 C7
Quote:
It's not just you lol, I put HID in the title & body and got a bunch of replies on LED's

There had not been, but some vendor was making promises months ago, I just never saw anything happen with it & thought I'd check.

Oh well, there's more than one way to get rid of obnoxious yellow hued DRL's! Just not any that are particularly reliable, easy, cost effective, and perform as I would want them to it seems
The LED's are a waste of time and money I am so sick and tired of them going out every 60 days. I know spencershids.com was working on a 25 watt kit for the RS cars. You might want to look them up. Also I love AAC products but this BS about PWM is I am thinking of doing the brainhart mod and cutting off the harness and using a socket that allows 921 bulbs.
Snake Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote