Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

Old 05-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #7253
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Just wondering if it's as hard to get to the oil pressure sensor on these cars as it is the Vette. Does the intake plenum need to come off on the Camaro to get to it?
No it sits on the top of the motor behind the intake! Thank goodness! There was no way I would be taking all that off!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #7254
csjcsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolik10 View Post
Scott if you need dealer parts I've got a good friend who works for a dealer and can order whatever part you need.
Diane has met him..
D, see if he can get one and the price! The oil pressure sensor that is!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #7255
Brolik10
BLOWN!!!

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
D, see if he can get one and the price! The oil pressure sensor that is!!!
Done! ill text you the info when he gets back to me.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 PM   #7256
DarkFox1

Drives: 2012 2SS A6
was gonna put that money in savings toward mods, but thinking about picking up a truck that needs some engine work..

fix it up, wax it, flip it for a profit.

I've done it before.

never tore down a pre Lsx motor tho myself, could be a learning experience. It has a "knock" the owner says.
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #7257
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFox1 View Post
was gonna put that money in savings toward mods, but thinking about picking up a truck that needs some engine work..

fix it up, wax it, flip it for a profit.

I've done it before.

never tore down a pre Lsx motor tho myself, could be a learning experience. It has a "knock" the owner says.
Seems dangerous and risky.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #7258
DarkFox1

It is.

you don't always make a profit, sometimes you break even, sometimes you lose.

What you gain each time though is knowledge.

I had a 98 v6 camaro with a 5 speed, knockin the motor.. picked it up from a dude on the south side for $550.

Kept it for about 3 months, didn't really do much, took some screws off it for my Z, was gonna part it out..

decided not to, then tried my hand at learning to primer on one of the fenders.

Decided that was a lot of work. So I put it up on CL.

sold for $700.

I had a truck years ago.. a 72 C10 SWB sport side, I6, 3 speed.. picked it up for $450 not running.

Got it running for about $50.

sold it for $1050 a month later.

it happens.. but not always. The important thing is knowing your market, and how to fix the problem.

Also, not being afraid of being stuck with a car.

if I don't get that.. I may talk to TSP about their head/cam combo.

so that'd give me a DOD delete, TSP 409 LTs, TSP HF cats, TSP ported heads, and a VVT-2 cam.

should give this pig/slug some grunt I hope.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #7259
DarkFox1

So.. if I do a cam I have to do a stall.. any of yall done that?

I don't want to feel like i'm driving through sand.. or start getting 14mpg. (I already feel like I'm driving through sand.. but I don't want to rev it to 2800 rpm just to start rolling.. that's absurd.)

never driven a stalled car before unfortunately. Videos of it on youtube look... painful.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #7260
csjcsj

Quote:

I don't want to feel like i'm driving through sand.. or start getting 14mpg. (I already feel like I'm driving through sand.. but I don't want to rev it to 2800 rpm just to start rolling.. that's absurd.)

never driven a stalled car before unfortunately. Videos of it on youtube look... painful.
I sure it would be best! Also do a oil pump upgrade! Don't be like me! Lol!!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #7261
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
No it sits on the top of the motor behind the intake! Thank goodness! There was no way I would be taking all that off!
Same on the Vette. I know on the Vette though it's a matter of working space. It's a b!tch to do!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #7262
Padre
Only drives on Sundays

Drives: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC NGray
Quote:

Nothing to be afraid of, but it does come with some of the above. Without planning a good overall package, you will be reviving to 3000 off the line and getting 14 mpg. When you've got a loud exhaust and a big cam (like a TSP), it'll be less enjoyable.

If drag racing is your thing, then that's the trade-off.

However, you can choose a different cam that won't require a stall. The Lingenfelter GT-11 comes go mind. Great power and even better driveability without the big cam annoyances.

Also, if your goal is simply getting such a heavy slug off the line, then the best answer is simply gears. 3.70's are probably your best bet.

I went with a 3200 stall and experienced all of the above (hatedd reviving at lights and drop in MPG), but my 3.45 gears made it a joy to drive again.

Padre

OLD HOTNESS: The "Heretic": '11 2SS/RS L99 A6 Black/Inferno. Build Journal, Videos
D1SC GT9 JBA-LT = 720/680 | 10.330 @ 133.61, 1.546 sixty... Camaro King at ECS V, Darlington.
NEW HOTNESS: '16 2SS A8 NPP MRC. Bone Stock, 1/8th: 8.051 @ 89.44, 1.919
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #7263
DarkFox1

I talked to chris this afternoon, he recommended their "stage 3" cam (dunno specs, shoulda asked.. derp..) and a ~2200-2400 stall, sounds low enough it should be fine.

He also said ditch VVT, I'm not sold on that yet, any opinions?

Spoke with Jon while I was there. I've met him before, but not since joining here I don't think.

I don't want my mpg to go DOWN. It's already 17 city.. I need it to go UP if anything. 18..19..

We didn't talk gears, I don't know that I want to dive into it that deep yet.

This is a street/daily driver car. It probably won't ever be anything but.

oh, on a side note.. yall ever had people putting stuff in your mailbox? I found a plastic grocery bag in my mailbox. Last time it was a mcdonalds bag full of ketchup.. the time before another plastic grocery bag.

I called the marshalls office, but no one could help me.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #7264
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:

oh, on a side note.. yall ever had people putting stuff in your mailbox? I found a plastic grocery bag in my mailbox. Last time it was a mcdonalds bag full of ketchup.. the time before another plastic grocery bag.

Maybe next time it'll be a bag full of mcdonalds honey mustard.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #7265
DarkFox1

its technically a felony to open someone else's mailbox.

it's a dick move to put trash in it.

ya know I never do anything to the people that live around me. I stay quiet, I keep to myself, I don't have a bunch of loud cars like they all do.. and all they do is give me grief.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #7266
Southern Comfort
No Tags/Habitual Violator

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS & z71
Quote:
I talked to chris this afternoon, he recommended their "stage 3" cam (dunno specs, shoulda asked.. derp..) and a ~2200-2400 stall, sounds low enough it should be fine.

He also said ditch VVT, I'm not sold on that yet, any opinions?

Spoke with Jon while I was there. I've met him before, but not since joining here I don't think.

I don't want my mpg to go DOWN. It's already 17 city.. I need it to go UP if anything. 18..19..

We didn't talk gears, I don't know that I want to dive into it that deep yet.

This is a street/daily driver car. It probably won't ever be anything but.

Hey DarkFox1,

I would be shocked if "any" worthy performance cam swap maintains or increases mpg. Maybe if you radically changed your driving style you could improve mileage over today's cam. Think about what performance cam does. It opens bigger, longer or both. Result is more air into the cylinder and more air requires more gasoline. There goes your mpg.

Loosen up the converter and less mpg follows.

There a couple of different ways to get into the 12s. Improve drive train/traction or build more power. Otherwise a lot of weight has to go.
Padre suggested a couple of things that dont require heavy engine mods, CAI, gear, tires.
I know they are not as sexy as a thumping cam or FI, but they will get the job done and without killing mpg.
Southern Comfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlanta, club, diane is great., free josh, j.t. is awesome, mti locks not rocks your car, mti rocks, mti rocks your mom's house, yep yep