Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
New Camaro - Now need Detailing/cleaning suplies. HELP!

Got my new 2013 Camaro just over a week ago. Beautiful off of the lot. Shining and glistening sharp black in the sun.

I garage my car, but unfortunately I live in the Northwest. The positive is we don't get snow, the negative is we have a crap load of pollen and it rains.

Question is, if I am wanting to build an arsenal of cleaning supplies for my car, where do I start?

What are the "must-haves" in the tool kit if you will. Links would be handy, if not, I'm sure I can always find on Amazon.

I know black is super high maintenance, but nothing looks better IMO when it is clean and shining.
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Read:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275418
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
Probably the best overview you're going to get. I've learned a ton reading that thread along with threads by Junkman & the guys from Adams. I had a PC and a few supplies but figured out much of what I had learned in my 50 years was wrong. Now my 2 DD's and the Camaro are being treated correctly - and boy does it show!

In reality spent an extra $300 or so over the winter but it's been worth it.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Besides following the quoted thread (it's great) I'd suggest keeping a coat of sealant and a couple coats of wax on AT ALL TIMES.

I wish I had done this from day one. I just learned this "way of life" after 6 months with a black convertible.

It makes washing very easy. In the case of dust/pollen it also means you can use a blower to get rid of the stuff so you do not have to touch/wipe the paint.

"Minimize Touches" is the gospel I live by now.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
Probably the best overview you're going to get. I've learned a ton reading that thread along with threads by Junkman & the guys from Adams. I had a PC and a few supplies but figured out much of what I had learned in my 50 years was wrong. Now my 2 DD's and the Camaro are being treated correctly - and boy does it show!

In reality spent an extra $300 or so over the winter but it's been worth it.
I get it, but that list is overwhelming. What are the initial "must haves". I don't have $300 to spend on detailing stuff right now...
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Car shampoo, something to wash with (hint.... mitt), something to dry with (hint... waffle weave drying towel), and buckets. Those are the absolute essentials. You want to dress your tires, then you obviously need something to clean them with (hint... all purpose cleaner), and something to dress them with (hint... tire dressing). Oh and you're going to want to do windows too right? So what do you need? A window cleaner and a towel to do the cleaning with

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Car shampoo, something to wash with (hint.... mitt), something to dry with (hint... waffle weave drying towel), and buckets. Those are the absolute essentials. You want to dress your tires, then you obviously need something to clean them with (hint... all purpose cleaner), and something to dress them with (hint... tire dressing). Oh and you're going to want to do windows too right? So what do you need? A window cleaner and a towel to do the cleaning with
LOL. Thanks!

I've obviously washed cars before in the past, but wanted to make sure I get the "good stuff" if you will for this car. Wasn't trying to come across helpless...

Thanks for your help though
Old 04-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Besides following the quoted thread (it's great) I'd suggest keeping a coat of sealant and a couple coats of wax on AT ALL TIMES.

I wish I had done this from day one. I just learned this "way of life" after 6 months with a black convertible.

It makes washing very easy. In the case of dust/pollen it also means you can use a blower to get rid of the stuff so you do not have to touch/wipe the paint.

"Minimize Touches" is the gospel I live by now.
What sealant and wax is recommended? I am used to buying my stuff from Autozone or some auto parts store which I know is never the best, and sometimes borderline crap.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
This but in addition detail spray and either a wax or sealant are not optional. You also need microfiber buffing towels.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #11
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
My top must haves:

1) Quality wash supplies. Good wash pads, a quality pH neutral soap, grit guards, and high quality drying towels are key. Most swirl marks and damage are introduced in the wash process and its the one thing you'll do more frequently than anything else on your car so getting that dialed in early is key.

2) Wax or Sealant. Even an inexpensive wax will do as a temp fix until you get setup with higher quality sealant or wax for protection. Doesn't do much good to keep the car clean if its not protected by something.

3) Detail Spray/Waterless Wash. You need something for quick touchups for sure. You don't want to wash the car every single day to remove dust, smudges, etc. Pair with this some quality microfiber towels (and no, the bag of 100 towels for $18 at costco isn't quality microfiber)

4) Dressings. Nothing worse than a clean car with dry, crusty rubber and trim. A high quality water based dressing for your tires and trim. Of course you should have a cleaner to remove old dressings and mold release from the tires as well so you get the biggest benefit.

More than happy to get into specific product recommendations from our line if you like (link below), but wouldn't want the natives accusing me of recruiting for the "Adam's Army"

Adam's Premium Car Care - The GM Officially Licensed Car Care Products of Corvette & Camaro
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
What sealant and wax is recommended? I am used to buying my stuff from Autozone or some auto parts store which I know is never the best, and sometimes borderline crap.
go to a boat shop and get some collinite 845: good price, insanely long lasting, and reliable.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
My top must haves:

1) Quality wash supplies. Good wash pads, a quality pH neutral soap, grit guards, and high quality drying towels are key. Most swirl marks and damage are introduced in the wash process and its the one thing you'll do more frequently than anything else on your car so getting that dialed in early is key.

2) Wax or Sealant. Even an inexpensive wax will do as a temp fix until you get setup with higher quality sealant or wax for protection. Doesn't do much good to keep the car clean if its not protected by something.

3) Detail Spray/Waterless Wash. You need something for quick touchups for sure. You don't want to wash the car every single day to remove dust, smudges, etc. Pair with this some quality microfiber towels (and no, the bag of 100 towels for $18 at costco isn't quality microfiber)

4) Dressings. Nothing worse than a clean car with dry, crusty rubber and trim. A high quality water based dressing for your tires and trim. Of course you should have a cleaner to remove old dressings and mold release from the tires as well so you get the biggest benefit.

More than happy to get into specific product recommendations from our line if you like (link below), but wouldn't want the natives accusing me of recruiting for the "Adam's Army"

Adam's Premium Car Care - The GM Officially Licensed Car Care Products of Corvette & Camaro
Looks like the makings for a MUST HAVE KIT... you can send me the first one and I'll test it for y'all.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
I can discuss what I use if you want to PM me.

The thread referenced above lists the recommended products of a respected (at least by me) professional detailer. You really can't go wrong there.

Unfortunately if you want your Camaro to stay looking good, Autozone is probably only suited for buying wash buckets and lubricants. Don't get me wrong it is a fine store. It's just that your new ride deserves top tier stuff.