Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Question Insurance Companies that Cover Mods (or not)

Do any of you have experience with insurance companies covering your mods?

I'm sure there are companies that specialize in this.

Has anyone added mod coverage to their existing policy? A friend of mine just got told no by his insurance and now he's concerned they may not renew it.

In my searches I found USAA covers up to 5k in mods w/ no receipts needed and no extra premium cost. I will confirm this later as I use them.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
wocampb

Drives: '14 2SS/RS 1LE BRM, '12 Cruze LT 6M
Geico covers my mods, I put it at $10k just so I wouldn't have to call them again until I did over that amount in mods. They had no problem adding it and they even asked me if I had mods to the car that I wanted covered under insurance.
wocampb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocampb View Post
Geico covers my mods, I put it at $10k just so I wouldn't have to call them again until I did over that amount in mods. They had no problem adding it and they even asked me if I had mods to the car that I wanted covered under insurance.
Very nice... Thanks...

Any others??
Old 10-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
AztecCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk SS Auto Vert
I work for geico in our San Diego office as a claims liability representative. Our California policy states that it will cover up to $1000 in modification/customization. Anything over that must be declared. I suggest that if you have more than a $1000 in mods, let your insurance company know otherwise you may lose it in the event of a theft. Please read your policy to see what it says! Its amazing how many people don't know what their policy actually says. I cannot give you advice on what is the appropriate amount of coverage to carry because I am not a licensed associate.
AztecCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Very good info. Guess I'll have to ask my buddy what company he is with because they certainly don't want to cover him.

He's putting a Magnuson supercharger on his SS convertible.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Aqua_Blue_SS

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
I called GEICO and they wouldn't cover my camaros at all because they were modded to add HP. Im not sure if they would for just cosmetics. I just talked to them about a month ago. If I did have their insurance and was in an accident, they made it sound as if they found out it was modded they wouldn't cover any of the accident.
They did have great rates for the Daily drivers though.

I have farmers and they'll cover with receipts.
Aqua_Blue_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I've been thinking about this recently. I'm about to install a heritage grill, and I'm thinking god forbid I'm in an accident , what happens when the adjuster comes out and looks at the car and it has some aftermarket stuff done to it. Will they replace my heritage grille, or give me a "quality replacement part" of the stock one? If I get rear ended, will the cover the oracle LED reverse lights? Or just out in regular bulbs?
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:59 PM   #8
AztecCamaro

If your not at fault and filing through the other persons insurance, replacing your custom stuff should not cause a problem as long as you haven't reached their policy limits. In California, the state only mandates a minimum on $5000 in property damage. That means damage to another persons property that they are liable for. If that person hits multiple people in one accident, that $5000 can be used up very quickly. But as I was saying before, you shouldn't have any problem recovering for aftermarket mods from an adverse carrier as long as you can provide proof of ownership. normally that means, " hey this part right here, your insured broke it and you need to pay for it."
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
I've been thinking about this recently. I'm about to install a heritage grill, and I'm thinking god forbid I'm in an accident , what happens when the adjuster comes out and looks at the car and it has some aftermarket stuff done to it. Will they replace my heritage grille, or give me a "quality replacement part" of the stock one? If I get rear ended, will the cover the oracle LED reverse lights? Or just out in regular bulbs?
I know of one recently that just got plasma bulbs and such replaced after an accident no questions asked, but that's why I started the thread. I don't think this is the case with all companies.

As was previously said you would need to read closely or call and ask.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
baby02
EYE CANDY

Drives: 1SS RS ABM
Be careful about insuring with Gecio, they will drop you in a heart beat, and their customer service sucks. Just a word to the wise.
[SIGPIC]BMR springs/sways,CAI,SCT,Razzi, silver stripes, painted calipers, upgraded audio, Katzskin interior upgrades, 22" Lexani, SSW Headers and cats, MBRP 3" catback, gauges, CF wrapped lip spoiler and rear trunk insert, custom rotor and upgraded brake pads, side markers
baby02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #11
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I have USAA and they have pics of all my mods and would be covered if anything ever happens.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie7 View Post
I have USAA and they have pics of all my mods and would be covered if anything ever happens.
Did they ask for pics? Do you pay extra or is there a limit?
Old 10-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
I have carried State Farm for over 25 years, and 8 modded cars and never had an issue.

take a picture of the mod, copy the receipt, give it to your Agent.. Keep copy for yourself as backup.

They have replaced aftermarket wheels, repaired custom paint, replaced stolen sound systems, and when my 1978 Trans Am got totaled by a DUI it had a highly modded motor, and they paid me the cost of the motor minus mileage, they used some formula to determine the motors value from install to XX miles on it at time of accident, motor had run me about $10K back in 1989 including labor and I got $7K over the fair market of the vehicle in 1992 when it was totaled, so I was ok with their calculations.

My agent as always told me as long as I let him know what I've done, and have pictures and receipts I will be covered..
Old 10-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #14
AztecCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby02 View Post
Be careful about insuring with Gecio, they will drop you in a heart beat, and their customer service sucks. Just a word to the wise.
Insurance regulations are set by the state and they regulate how insurance companies can conduct business. So what may have gotten you dropped may not apply to people in other states.

Just a thought, it's hard to make people happy when you have to tell them their claim is disclaimed or denied. Even more so when you tell them their policy is being canceled. One experience does not define a company.

And baby02, if you did receive poor customer service from one of our associates, please let me apologize on their behalf. We pride ourselves on customer service and strive to delight every customer even when we don't have the best of news.