Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Spare for my SS

I've never liked the idea of driving around with no spare, so I finally ordered the spare tire kit from the guy on EBay. I know several people from Camaro5 already have this kit, but I have not seen anyone post a review on it yet. I have to say that I am very pleased with the kit.

Here's the two packages I received yesterday, and their contents:

I was surprised at how big the 'compact' spare was, and worried that it would not fit in the trunk storage space. The diameter of the tire is 27" as compared to 28" for the Camaro's OEM tires.

To my amazement, it is a perfect fit in the trunk, and is certainly the largest tire that would fit.

Next, I test mounted it on the car. The scissors jack fits the jack points perfectly, and is pretty easy to operate. The provided lug wrench is good quality and fits the lug nuts and the smaller spacer nuts. The only problem will be bolting it onto one of the front hubs - its hard to tighten... I guess you really need someone to hold the brake when you tighten them down.

Here is a shot of the provided spacer, which appears to be a good quality piece and fits well.

The spare fits well and easily clears the front Brembo's. NOTE: I had the roller skate style brake pads, but had already replaced them with Hawk ceramics. I doubt that the spare would clear that type of weights.

There was plenty of space in the trunk below the spare, so I wrapped the jack in a towel and placed it to the rear of the battery. I wrapped the lug wrench in a smaller towel and placed it in front of the battery. The spare easily fit over these items. I'll have to drive it around and see if I have any rattles.

It didn't look like the spacer would fit, so I just put it in the trunk after I stowed away the spare. I also put the small inflator in there as well, just in case I ever need it. You know how your donut is always flat when you finally need it...

As requested, I test fit the spare on the rear, and it fits fine...

there is at least a half inch of clearance from the caliper

Last edited by clg_98ta; 09-21-2010 at 04:16 PM.
clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
superman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Nice. Who is the seller on ebay?

Your trunk looks mad ghetto, with that exposed wood and cardboard boxes.

Safety>>Style I guess..
superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Jeddler

Drives: 2010 Red 2SS RS A6
I would like to know this as well ^^^

2010 RED 2SS/RS A6: SOLD!!!:(
2011 WHITE Silverado crew cab Z71 LTZ, 6.2L: SOLD!!!
Jeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
does it fit over the rear brakes?
where did you order this?
thanks
joey
chopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
clg_98ta

I did not try it on the rear, but I assume it will fit since it fits over the larger front brakes. It started raining as I was test-fitting it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spare...Q5fAccessories

Old 09-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
chopss

please try the rear and post pics.
oh the rear brakes are LARGER than the front
Old 09-19-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopss View Post
please try the rear and post pics.
oh the rear brakes are LARGER than the front
No , the rear are smaller than the front ones !!
oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Folks......... I sure wish I'd have bought something like this long ago. I JUST got my car back after having to leave it in Louisiana for two weeks while I ordered a tire and waited till I could get it mounted balanced and get back to get my car.

356.00 for the tire, 20.00 mount and balance, 40.00 in gas.

Easily would have paid for it's self.

The e-bay seller has a group buy price. For 5 and 10.

35.00 off if 5 buy, and 50.00 off if 10 buy.

Something to think about.

I post this so maybe someone can save what I just went through.

I had to ride on my tire flat becasue I had no choice.

Here is some info in his listing. Thanks, clg_98ta, good post.

Quote:
Camaro SS and Camaros with over size brakes that don’t allow use of the stock spare.
Description:
This spare tire fits the Camaro cars that come with nospare tire. The stock spare tire from the dealer thatfits Camaro and RS will not fitthese cars. Also a solution for lager aftermarket brakes.
You cannot buy this kit at the dealer; itis developed especially for these cars and only available here. The bottle of goop and the pumpthat these cars come with is useless if you get alarge puncture or blow out. Not only that the car islow to the ground and likely will get major damagefrom dragging it up onto a flat bed. Forget a wreckerhook up.
This kitfits the spare tire well in the trunk and it is completewith everything you will need. The option of run-flattires costs big bucks and they are heavy and performpoorly. This is the only real solution that lets youuse your choice of tires next time you change them!
This will save you a grand next time you change tires over run flats. This kit will save you big bucks first time you use it!
The 18 inch spare is an 80series to compensate for rolling diameter and is narrow to fit in the spare tire well. This set up was developed and tested on the actual listed cars for fit so you can buy with confidence.
Please check my feedback to see how happy people are with the quality of this kit, it’s 100%!
If you are part of a club and interested in a group buy. I will take $35 off of the buy it now price per kit if you buy 5 kits and I will take $50 off of the buy it now price per kit if you buy 10 kits. This is a great deal if you are part of a club or group.
If you agree to mention this kit on the enthusiast web sites I will also workout a deduction.

Common Questions and Answers:

1. Can I buy individuals parts of the kit from you?
No. we buy the components of the kit in bulk so we can offer them at alower cost and the components are made to work together and quitepossibly might not fit or be dangerous if mixed and matched. Weguarantee the fit and quality of the kit!

2. Will this kit clear my brakes?
Yes this clears the larger brakes found on the SS they are largerthanthe brakes on the other models and that is why the factory offers nopare.

3. Why can't I just go out and buy the parts myself?
You can, but the cost will be significantly higher than we sell the kitor (about $600) and this assumes your time is worth nothing. Beside researching andbuying the parts, the selection and fit is critical and we don't useChinese wheel adapters ours are US made with the highest quality materials and DOT approved studs. We use a new Goodyear tire and valvestems and the spare is even balanced.

4. Will the diameter match my tire and what effect will it have?
The diameter is as large as will fit in the spare tire well in your trunk and will clear all fenders, brakes and well wells. The diameter is slightly smaller but will not lower the car significantly or affect the drive train. When installed in the rear we recommend turning off the traction control if you get a warning.

5. Will the kit fit in my trunk?
Yes and unlike an un-secured full size spare that can fly forward andkill you in an accident and takes up most of you trunk, this fits the factory well and comes complete with the hold down kit and clears thespare tire floor cover for no bump.

6. Why can't I get a spare from the junk yard or the dealer?
The dealer parts are expensive and won't work with the SS because thelarge brakes require more clearance, Ditto with Junk yard rims and tires. Regular Camaros have smaller brakes and their spare will not work. This kit uses a larger offset with special adapter to solve the issues. It also comes with a lug wrench to fit the adapter lug nuts which can not be the standard size due to the clearance of the wheel face. The hold down kit is different also There are other differences as well.

We researched and designed the kit to work perfectly.

Kit Contains:

1.5 Ton Scissor Jack with Handle

18 inch OEM Quality Spare Tire (Balanced)

Wheel Adapter, High quality CNC

Lug Wrench with thin wall dual socket

Complete Instructions

Special Notes and safety warnings:

Camaro SS or with oversize or after market brakes:

Make sure to check that you are using a reinforced approved jack point on the car. Check with your dealer if you are unsure where these points are. Failure to use the correct jack point could cause the car to fall and possibly damage the car or injure or kill you! Follow all the safety instructions and jacking instructions in the Chevy manual, if you don’t have one please obtain one from your dealer! If you do not know what you are doing, get training. Safety is Critical.

Always check your application and spin the wheel after install and check brake clearance. There should be a minimum of ―” clearance to any brake or suspension part.

Check fender clearance!! This kit has been tested on all models but lowered cars may have issues. Always drive slowly and carefully when turning or going up curbs, drives, bumps etc. Follow specifications for speed on the tire!

Always be sure to correctly install and check all lug nuts. The extra lug nuts are provided because the stock ones are to long and the spare will damage the decorative cap if you use them to install the adapter!

We cannot be sure of the fit with all after market brakes so please check the fit on these cars before putting the tire away in the trunk!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
chopss

I believe the rear are larger. Can you post pic. Of spare on rearthx
Old 09-20-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
clg_98ta

The rears have smaller diameter rotors and the calipers appear to be about the same size.

But, since the calipers are positioned closer to the wheel center (due to the smaller rotors), I will test fit the rear when I get a chance this week just to make sure they fit.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
chopss

I thought the front rotors are 14in and rear 14.3in
Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
chopss

Can the front rims fit on the Rears?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
clg_98ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopss View Post
I thought the front rotors are 14in and rear 14.3in
Don't know... I just assumed that the fronts would be larger, but maybe you're right. I'll test fit the spare on the rear tonight.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
A snippet from one of my archived articles:

"The SS front brake package includes Brembo 355 mm x 32 mm vented rotors with four-piston aluminum calipers. Semi-metallic brake linings are used at all four corners on FE3 models for superior fade resistance and pedal feel. The rear brakes are vented Brembos measuring 365 mm x 28 mm, with aluminum four-piston calipers."