Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-22-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Tribute

Drives: 2012 SLP ZL770 #17 (Hugger Orange)
My 2SS off to SLP

Good afternoon All -

I wanted to post up a thread regarding my car and my process through it getting revamped up to a ZL600 through SLP. I had some tidbits about this on another thread of mine, but I thought its own thread would be more appropriate.

So I purchased my IOM 2SS/RS several months back in November. I have been very happy with it, it's a great car. The dealership that I purchased it from (Sterling Chevrolet) in Sterling VA was very easy to work with and luckily for me they are very performance oriented. In fact, that dealership installs and promotes aftermarket products and will work with you on most warranty issues. So far my experience with them has been great. The GM is a huge car buff as well which doesn't hurt.

This dealership is also a huge pusher for SLP cars. In fact they've sold a handful of SLP camaros to surrounding Northern Virginians. Some of which I hope to meet in the spring at the Cars & Coffee here in NOVA.

So I was approached by the SLP rep for this region and he went over the various options and add ons. At first I was just looking into doing a stage 1 or stage 2 supercharger package. Then after weighing out some options and the rep and dealer GM willing to give me good prices (since I got the car there) I opted for the ZL600 package. It took a bit for me to decide, you live once right!?

It's been a tough ride trying to figure out just exactly what to have put together in this package. I've gone back and forth on so many items. Needless to say, I've been causing a lot of invoice rewrites because I couldn't make up my mind. One week I wanted one thing, and opted out of another, then the next week I felt well, If I'm going to do it, I should go all the way.

This order is a little bit different or unique I should say, cosmetically as it will not look like most SLP Camaros. I'm opting out of the painted stripes since I have the OEM TF3 stripes installed on the car. A few items will be painted on, but I'm going Matte black versus gloss to match with the stripes. My car, although not Rally Yellow, has become it's own TF3 special edition car. I have most of the OEM TF3 special edition parts. What can I say, I'm an old school fan of Transformers and dig the autobot stuff. It makes for something fun and unique. Also, I mean no disrespect to those that have the actual Tf3 special edition cars. I just wanted it in IOM. This has drawn me to using the nickname ZLBOT for the car as well as how I'll probably plate the car.

So after a lot of back and forth and me finally making my mind up, the car is due to get picked up from SLP and shipped up to NJ to begin the rebuild next week. I'm not sure exactly which day yet, but I think towards the end of the week. I'm excited and look forward to the finished product. It's going to be a long month.

I'm interested on how it's going to look once done as well. I will of course post pictures once it returns. I will also keep the thread going with updates on the process and will answer any questions any of you might have regarding SLP and my experience. If there are any details you'd like me to discuss please ask. I've seen some threads touch slightly on the SLP cars and how fun they are, but not so much the process and exchange for SLP. So if SLP takes good care of me (so far so good), then this will be great press for them. I don't think there will be any issues. They are a great team of folks. In fact if all works out well I plan to show the car and represent for SLP and my local dealer.

If you look at my garage, I have an album with a few current pictures inside if interested.

Thanks for getting through the post...

Luke
Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
I have nothing but good things to say about my SLP SS....I think I'm the only one in Cali....you won't be disappointed

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I have been salivating over these SLP ZL Camaros! I have a lot of questions regarding what it would take to turn my SS into one of these very special editions! I wonder if they have financing options for non-lottery winners like me.
Brutal SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Tribute

Kronix- do you have an SLP ZL or did you do upgrades through their staged packages? Thanks for the input by the way. It's good to hear others are happy about going through SLP.

Brutal SS - how many miles are on your SS? They do allow already purchased SS's to get sent to their shop for a ZL package. Their is a mileage cutoff for certain packages to become a special edition with a numbered badge. Depending on newness to their can be financing options, most of that depends on the dealer you work with.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
What performance mods exactly are you getting?

Heard good things about SLP except the price tags!
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Tribute

I'll do up a full list tomorrow of what is being done.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Tribute

What is getting done at SLP

-ZL600 core package (minus painted stripes since I'm keeping the OEM TF3 stripes.)
-ZL600 Power PAC (1:85 aluminum rocker arms, high lift spring & titanium retainer.
-20x9 20x10 Gunmetal Redline Wheels with Micheline PS2s
-SLP rtm heat extractor hood w/ OEM TF3 stripes (new set installed)
-SLP rear diffuser (finding out if they can have the exhaust bezel painted black)
-Full coil over package
-adjustable sway bars
-brembo sport disc package with GT front brakes.-dyno Tune
-boost gauge
-rear blackout painted matte black to match color schema
-skip shift eliminator

Might have the seats redone, trying to figure that out.

-Luke

Last edited by Tribute; 01-25-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #8
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Brutal SS - how many miles are on your SS? They do allow already purchased SS's to get sent to their shop for a ZL package. Their is a mileage cutoff for certain packages to become a special edition with a numbered badge. Depending on newness to their can be financing options, most of that depends on the dealer you work with.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure I'm over the limit. My 2011 has almost 17,000.
Brutal SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 AM   #9
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal SS View Post
Brutal SS - how many miles are on your SS? They do allow already purchased SS's to get sent to their shop for a ZL package. Their is a mileage cutoff for certain packages to become a special edition with a numbered badge. Depending on newness to their can be financing options, most of that depends on the dealer you work with.
I'm sure I'm over the limit. My 2011 has almost 17,000.[/QUOTE]

Yup, they'll only warranty under 10k

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:40 AM   #10
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
2 points.
1) I recently tuned a SLP package, and your going to love it. Its smooth through the RPM range and keeps pulling.

2) When I lived in NOVA, we had our Corvette club at Sterling Chevrolet. Your right about the GM. Super guy. I even bought my wife's uplander from them, and he showed me all the dealer discount we normally dont see, and applied them to my purchase.

If you have a Camaro club, have them sponsor it. They would give us parts and labor at a very nice discount rate.
www.TampaTuning.com
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
Tribute

Thanks for the posts all.

Brutal - too bad you're over the mileage. However, the folks at sterling will still hook you up with the staged packages. Shoot me a PM if you want me to try to see what kinda of deals could be had. They are great there and kind of owe me. ;-)

Tampa - thanks for the heads up on SLP. I'm excited. Car gets picked up tomorrow morning. Also, glad u had the same experience at Sterling. I'm trying to build up the relationship so that I can have a local Chevy dealer for the mid-Atlantic folks to go through. As you know they really work with you there. I'm going to talk the the GM about sponsorship for a local chapter or something. Would be fun.

The car is going up. Last minute change to the build list are the GT brembo upgrade for the 6 piston front.

It's going to be a long month.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #12
Tribute

The car got picked up this morning. Wanted to put up some pics....

Gonna be a long wait.

-Luke
Old 01-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
ZL600 FK

Drives: 2012 SLP ZL600 #15 (IOM) Convert
Welcome to the SLP family - my ZL600 should arrive next week. Can not wait. Do you have to do a break-in period or can you just have fun right off. Since my car is new - I am going to follow the 1500 mile break-in schedule which will be hard!!!
ZL600 FK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
That plastic burning smell? Oh that is just your AMEX...no worries. It's not the car.

Congratulations..sounds like it will be a great car!