Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Tribute

Drives: 2012 SLP ZL770 #17 (Hugger Orange)
FIA Racing Seat Shell Comfort

Anyone here running any type of FIA Racing Seat Shell (Recaro, Sparco, STATUS, etc)? I'm trying to find out how things are outside of the track as far as weekend drives, or longer drives. Since shells are not adjustable with the exception of a slider to move back and forth, how that goes with comfort for regular driving or longer drives?

I usually sit pretty upright when driving on or off track, and I'm trying to decide since I'm switching seats to go with the shell so I can have a 5 point harness and the FIA class seat. I'm thinking comfort shouldnt be that big of an issue, but those that have these share your thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Mike@HennesseyPerformance

Drives: 70 Camaro
Why do you need an FIA seat? Does your car have a cage? Are you doing wheel to wheel racing, if so what class?

Are you familiar with FIA Certification process and what's involved?
Mike@HennesseyPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
Tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@HennesseyPerformance View Post
Why do you need an FIA seat? Does your car have a cage? Are you doing wheel to wheel racing, if so what class?

Are you familiar with FIA Certification process and what's involved?
Hey Mike, I appreciate your post.

Technically it doesn't have to be FIA, I should have said shell seat, as those mostly have the sub hole for the 5 point harness. I am actually tring to avoid a cage and bars, with the exception of a harness bar. I do not hit the strip much, I mainly run circuit road courses. I have been running them in the stock seats and they are just not the right setup for that.

My first option was a race seat that reclines so that its more dual purpose and just use my 3 point stock belt. I've been reading 4 point harnesses are not a safe bet and that I should run a 5 point which limits my selection of seats to a shell.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #4
Mike@HennesseyPerformance

Drives: 70 Camaro
Do you have a backseat?

Do you want one for the passenger?

What size are you?

I'd encourage you to sit in as many seats as you can and go from there. Find one you personally like. Seats are like shoes, some people swear by one, some by another, and I wear Converse.
Mike@HennesseyPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Do you have a backseat?

What size are you?

I'd encourage you to sit in as many seats as you can and go from there. Find one you personally like. Seats are like shoes, some people swear by one, some by another, and I wear Converse.
This is spoken by someone that knows...

I bought two aftermarket seats with brackets, had them in the car for one weekend, and pulled them out after that and they are still sitting in the shop... Cheap if someone else wants them... and they are high end Corbeaus...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Tribute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
This is spoken by someone that knows...

I bought two aftermarket seats with brackets, had them in the car for one weekend, and pulled them out after that and they are still sitting in the shop... Cheap if someone else wants them... and they are high end Corbeaus...
Why did you decide against them? Which model Corbeaus and how are they wrapped (Leather, Cloth, Suede) and what color.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Tribute

Quote:
Do you have a backseat?

What size are you?

Yes I have a backseat. I'm 6'0 about 195lbs I teter between 34-36 waist. So I dont want a seat too wide, but also not too snug.

I'm going to a local dealer to try to test some out, get some seat time as I agree, these are like shoes.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeko View Post
Why did you decide against them? Which model Corbeaus and how are they wrapped (Leather, Cloth, Suede) and what color.

Thanks
I have the VX 2000 Corbeau in black leather...

With the bracket mounts, the seat sits almost flat and i had to literally hold my leg up when driving, and after about 10 minutes my leg would start cramping..

There was no support for my legs... These were seriously the most uncomfortable seats I have ever been in... I'm sure with good custom brackets and some time, they would very nice...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #9
Tribute

Quote:
I have the VX 2000 Corbeau in black leather...

With the bracket mounts, the seat sits almost flat and i had to literally hold my leg up when driving, and after about 10 minutes my leg would start cramping..

There was no support for my legs... These were seriously the most uncomfortable seats I have ever been in... I'm sure with good custom brackets and some time, they would very nice...
Ok yeah, that wouldn't be good. Thanks for sharing. How tall are you?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Ok yeah, that wouldn't be good. Thanks for sharing. How tall are you?
6'1"...

Old 02-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Tribute

I would assume the bracket fitment would be the same for their other seats. It does seem weird it would sit that low.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
I would assume the bracket fitment would be the same for their other seats. It does seem weird it would sit that low.
There appears to have been very little thought put into this fitment... The seat itself seems like it would be quite comfortable, but the mounting and bottom design flat suck... I would like to know if it's just a universal bracket, or if anyone ever actually installed them and tried sitting in them...

Old 02-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
Tribute

Quote:
There appears to have been very little thought put into this fitment... The seat itself seems like it would be quite comfortable, but the mounting and bottom design flat suck... I would like to know if it's just a universal bracket, or if anyone ever actually installed them and tried sitting in them...
How long ago did you get it, and if you don't mind me asking, who did you get it through? It does seem like you perhaps got a universal bracket from the vendor? From what I've been reading, Corbeau has a direct fitment bracket for the 5th gen camaro. I thought it was supposed to be a 1" drop.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #14
Tribute

Ok, I just looked on their site. They make NS brackets, the NS stands for No Slider, these mounts to the stock sliders. The universal brackets mount flat. You might just want to sell the universal and buy NS brackets? Then you can keep those nice seats? The NS also seems to make it easy to swap the stock seat and racing seat for track days.