Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
mra282

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Amp kills car! help!

Hello everyone,

I hooked up 2 amps in my Camaro this past weekend and it worked fine for a few days but today when I got off from work I went to start my car and as soon as I turned the key boom dead. I got out and went to go ask our security guard for a jump and when I walked out side with him It was working again. After I drove 45 min home as soon as I opened the door everything went out again.
I then opened the door again to pop the hood and as soon as I closed the door a second time everything came back on. I messed around a few more times and each time the second time I close the door everything comes back. I disconnected my sub amp and all the problems go away. Can any of you guys help me? Both amps connect to the battery for power and I used the fark kit for remote turn on for both amps.

Has anyone else experienced this?

BTW I have a 2010 1LT with the BA system. Amp is the only mod so far.
mra282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
If your able to get power to return after it has disappeared without letting the alternator charge up the battery it sounds like a bad/loose ground not a battery drain. I'm not an expert but if power is going on and off defintely seems like a grounding issue. Get a volt meter and see if you have power to your battery when everything else shuts off would be step one.
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200593 View Post
If your able to get power to return after it has disappeared without letting the alternator charge up the battery it sounds like a bad/loose ground not a battery drain. I'm not an expert but if power is going on and off defintely seems like a grounding issue. Get a volt meter and see if you have power to your battery when everything else shuts off would be step one.
This, I had a similar issue when I installed my BA replacement amp..except my whole car was dead and it wouldn't start at all (nothing was getting power; radio, gauges, etc).. turned out it was a bad ground was tripping the "circuit breaker" type of wiring we have in our vehicles.. Check all your ground connections.

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #4
mra282

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Thanks for the input. Everything seems to work now that I removed the second amp. I'm wondering if maybe the amp is bad and shorting out the car. I was using a temporary amp and sub until I decide to order the dual sub box from ********. Next time I have time off I'm going to try and hook up the sub again with another amp that I know works.
mra282 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, amp, battery, dead, sound