Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #29
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Yes, yes I did.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
MattyDaddy

Drives: 2012 Red SS/RS
Just wanted to chime in here.. there is an exhaust by GHL that I think is the best looking and best quality exhaust. Unfortunately when I bought my cherry bomb catback for the V6 camaro I had, and ended up just using that one on the SS I got a couple months ago. I Do like the v8 extreme cherry bomb sound but the drone is pretty ridiculous and the AFM is super annoying! However, my next mod might be the JBA downpipes or the solo ones.. whichever will fit without mods.

also, here is a video of the GHL on a V8: http://youtu.be/lm_yRjhIVls
Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #31
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Yes, yes I did.
Congrats!

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #32
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stros View Post
Made my decision - just ordered the Solo Mach XL with J Pipes from Juiced Motorsports (thanks Jason @ Juiced for answering my numerous questions).

Getting it installed by the guys at Blu808 here in San Jose once it arrives. Hoping that the AFM doesn't bug me at all as I don't want to risk voiding that 7 year extended warranty I got a good deal on back when I got my SS in 2009 by tuning it:-)
Keep us updated on your Solo's.... I never noticed AFM stock, but Borla Touring made it terrible.... hand tuned it off after a few weeks.... my AFM was off 100% of the time when paddle shifting, no 5th to 6th trick. 5th to 6th works if you are cruising on the highway at a steady speed and AFM stays on and you get tired of the 4cyl sound... I think a lot depends on your driving environment. I drive mine to work on a flat road and a steady rate making all the lights for miles, I would use paddle shift even in 4th, 5th, and 6th low RPM's to keep AFM off sometimes. I also would road trip to Northern michigan regularly with the cruise set at 72-76 mph... paddleshift was a MUST on these trips, 4 cylinder drone would vibrate the interior of my car.

Good luck..... be nice to have another Solo member with AFM activated to get more input....
-JL Audio 500/1v2 Amp
-Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers, Livernois Dyno Tune
-Borla Mid Pipe
-Roto-Fab C.A.I. Custom Paint, Full CF Inlet.
-Roto-Fab Custom IBM, SIM Engine Covers, Fuse
Box Cover, Radiator Cover, CF Plenum Cover.
-Unique Auto Depot Complete Engine Billet
Aluminum Dress, Billet Trunk "SS" plaques.
-Emblempros Custom Stainless Underhood Bowtie
-Stock 333 rwhp, 380 rwhp now
Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #33
stros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had a GHL exhaust on my 98 Vette. Very nice quality - however it droned like crazy. Even though they claimed no drone as well. Their Camaro exhaust may be completely different in design of course - who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDaddy View Post
Just wanted to chime in here.. there is an exhaust by GHL that I think is the best looking and best quality exhaust. Unfortunately when I bought my cherry bomb catback for the V6 camaro I had, and ended up just using that one on the SS I got a couple months ago. I Do like the v8 extreme cherry bomb sound but the drone is pretty ridiculous and the AFM is super annoying! However, my next mod might be the JBA downpipes or the solo ones.. whichever will fit without mods.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #34
stros

Thanks for the well wishes. We shall see how it goes tomorrow! Will definitely keep that stock exhaust just in case I have any issues -as there's no way I want to risk losing my 7 year extended warranty by turning off the AFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchback700 View Post
Keep us updated on your Solo's.... I never noticed AFM stock, but Borla Touring made it terrible.... hand tuned it off after a few weeks.... my AFM was off 100% of the time when paddle shifting, no 5th to 6th trick. 5th to 6th works if you are cruising on the highway at a steady speed and AFM stays on and you get tired of the 4cyl sound... I think a lot depends on your driving environment. I drive mine to work on a flat road and a steady rate making all the lights for miles, I would use paddle shift even in 4th, 5th, and 6th low RPM's to keep AFM off sometimes. I also would road trip to Northern michigan regularly with the cruise set at 72-76 mph... paddleshift was a MUST on these trips, 4 cylinder drone would vibrate the interior of my car.

Good luck..... be nice to have another Solo member with AFM activated to get more input....
Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #35
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2012 VR 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyDaddy View Post

My Flowmaster Outlaws are extreme as well! Even with a resonated x pipe. Drone is bad on the M6 with these so watchout for the loud mufflers! J pipes being fabbed up today and put on.
Mods: Magnaflow 3" comp catback/Rotofab CAI/Apex Scoop/VMax T/B/ G.M. Blade Spoiler/SLP Splitter/ Forgestar cf10 wheels & Michelin Super Sport tires/JBA Shorty Headers,HiFlow cats & tune/ Pedders Supercar coilovers and Pedders 27mm/32mm sway bars /BMR cradle bushings, toe links and trailing arms/Stage 1 cam-445/430 RW HP/TQ
VR Baron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #36
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Thanks for the well wishes. We shall see how it goes tomorrow! Will definitely keep that stock exhaust just in case I have any issues -as there's no way I want to risk losing my 7 year extended warranty by turning off the AFM.
I bet you will be happy with the Solo J-Pipes. I put the Axle backs on my A6 SS several months age. I never could hear the AFM &/or drone when stock, and i still can't hear it now.
Remember these are a muffler delete system so they are loud, plus mine pop like crazy on start up... Just love them and I bet you will to.
Also, I kept my stock exhaust in case I ever want to go back to stock but I can't imagine ever wanting to... It's just a totally different animal now.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #37
stros

Ok, Blu808 did a great job completing the install for me. So far so good. Not noticing any drone, popping or odd AFM noises so far. Surprised actually how quiet it is for how little muffler it has (only in the x pipe section). It has to definitely save some weight.

Drove it home on the freeway and it sounded pretty much stock (or maybe even quieter actually). You can't see the J pipes at all from behind the car. Only if you get under the car. The idle to me is a little quieter than I was expecting. But it's a good low rumble...just not much louder than stock at idle. The exhaust tips protrude a bit - which I like. Overall I'm very happy with my decision given what my goals were.

Some really quick pics from my crappy phone:

Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #38
GOINGSOLO2

Drives: All Models
Thanks for the kind words regarding our kit. The sound will get even better and more refined as it breaks in over the first 500 miles. Let us know if you need anything Welcome to the SOLO family.
GOINGSOLO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #39
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Looks nice Glad to hear there are no weird sounds. One thing I didn't realize is that this system doesn't have mufflers? I think here in OH, it is illegal to have a car without a muffler.

So this is basically a catback system with straight pipes?

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #40
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
...it sounded pretty much stock (or maybe even quieter actually). ...But it's a good low rumble...just not much louder than stock at idle.
What about when you get on it? I know on the V6, the SOLO was definitely louder than stock at idle and significantly louder once I mashed the gas pedal.

I was hoping to gain some decent volume increase with the SOLO for my SS over what I currently get with my muffler delete on the stock exhaust...
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #41
stros

There's a muffler in the x pipe mid section. That's pretty much it. It's straight pipe from there on...you can kinda see that in my crappy pics

You would definitely think it'd be louder than it would be. The guys at Blu808 were surprised how quiet it is for how much straight pipe it is. I guess that one muffler in the mid section is a strong one.

I may be tone def - but I have zero clue when the AFM is kicking in. Given the crappy mileage my SS gets perhaps my AFM is just no longer working:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Looks nice Glad to hear there are no weird sounds. One thing I didn't realize is that this system doesn't have mufflers? I think here in OH, it is illegal to have a car without a muffler.

So this is basically a catback system with straight pipes?

Last edited by stros; 02-02-2012 at 08:08 PM.
stros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #42
stros

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
What about when you get on it? I know on the V6, the SOLO was definitely louder than stock at idle and significantly louder once I mashed the gas pedal.

I was hoping to gain some decent volume increase with the SOLO for my SS over what I currently get with my muffler delete on the stock exhaust...
It's definitely louder when you get on it. Much deeper & throatier on even minor acceleration too. Just good muscle car sound...not irritating at all when it gets loud either. I think it's perfect for my taste at least, and probably perfect for an AFM retaining SS.

I'm very happy with it. Going to tell Blu808 to go throw my stock exhaust into the dumpster:-) right now.