Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #85
AACstyle

Drives: www.CamaroLighting.com
Here are a couple more close-up shots before we load up the Camaro for C5F3!

AACstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #86
ONEHEAVYCHEVY

Drives: EARLY PRODUCTION 10 2SS/RS
i find it odd that when i called them about this, they have no price on them but if you put a hundred dollar deposit down, u can get on the list. and that determines the total price. so in reality, they can cost 100 bucks or 1000 bucks, right? and also another concern was that GM rumored, they didn't make the concept mirrors for fear the DOT not passing specs. Now, aac is making them and is there proof that they are legal on a newer car in all 50 states.?
o by the way someone has already made them, and i know this for fact, since i already have there second series on my car.!
ONEHEAVYCHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #87
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONEHEAVYCHEVY View Post
i find it odd that when i called them about this, they have no price on them but if you put a hundred dollar deposit down, u can get on the list. and that determines the total price. so in reality, they can cost 100 bucks or 1000 bucks, right?
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
The cost of the mirrors is $489 - $100 deposit= $389 balance + Paint is $79 to $99
Quote:
and also another concern was that GM rumored, they didn't make the concept mirrors for fear the DOT not passing specs. Now, aac is making them and is there proof that they are legal on a newer car in all 50 states.?
o by the way someone has already made them, and i know this for fact, since i already have there second series on my car.!
So can we assume you're not on the pre-order list?
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #88
AACstyle

Quote:
i find it odd that when i called them about this, they have no price on them but if you put a hundred dollar deposit down, u can get on the list. and that determines the total price. so in reality, they can cost 100 bucks or 1000 bucks, right? and also another concern was that GM rumored, they didn't make the concept mirrors for fear the DOT not passing specs. Now, aac is making them and is there proof that they are legal on a newer car in all 50 states.?
All you need to know is in post #1 on the thread right here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213671

These are NOT the original GM mirrors, this is our own design "inspired" by the concept mirrors.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #89
AACstyle

Synergy Green set heading to C5F3!

Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #90
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
Quote:
Hopefully there's an engineer around to translate this, ... the key seems to be "The mirror shall provide the driver a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon from a line, perpendicular to a longitudinal plane tangent to the driver's side of the vehicle at the widest point, extending 2.4 m out from the tangent plane 10.7 m behind the driver's eyes" Seems to me (a dummy at math) that it's the width of the field of view, not the height.

Next is to see if an aftermarket item has to be approved by the D.O.T...

Subpart B - Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards

§571.111 Standard No. 111; Rearview mirrors.

S1. Scope. This standard specifies requirements for the performance and location of rearview mirrors. S2. Purpose. The purpose of this standard is to reduce the number of deaths and injuries that occur when the driver of a motor vehicle does not have a clear and reasonably unobstructed view to the rear.

S3. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, schoolbuses and motorcycles.

S4. Definitions. Convex mirror means a mirror having a curved reflective surface whose shape is the same as that of the exterior surface of a section of a sphere. Effective mirror surface means the portions of a mirror that reflect images, excluding the mirror rim or mounting brackets. Unit magnification mirror means a plane or flat mirror with a reflective surface through which the angular height and width of the image of an object is equal to the angular height and width of the object when viewed directly at the same distance except for flaws that do not exceed normal manufacturing tolerances. For the purposes of this regulation a prismatic day-night adjustment rearview mirror one of whose positions provides unit magnification is considered a unit magnification mirror. S5. Requirements for passenger cars.

S5.2 Outside rearview mirror—driver's side.

S5.2.1 Field of view. Each passenger car shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification. The mirror shall provide the driver a view of a level road surface extending to the horizon from a line, perpendicular to a longitudinal plane tangent to the driver's side of the vehicle at the widest point, extending 2.4 m out from the tangent plane 10.7 m behind the driver's eyes, with the seat in the rearmost position. The line of sight may be partially obscured by rear body or fender contours. The location of the driver's eye reference points shall be those established in Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104 (§571.104) or a nominal location appropriate for any 95th percentile male driver.

S5.2.2 Mounting. The mirror mounting shall provide a stable support for the mirror, and neither the mirror nor the mounting shall protrude farther than the widest part of the vehicle body except to the extent necessary to produce a field of view meeting or exceeding the requirements of S5.2.1. The mirror shall not be obscured by the unwiped portion of the windshield, and shall be adjustable by tilting in both horizontal and vertical directions from the driver's seated position. The mirror and mounting shall be free of sharp points or edges that could contribute to pedestrian injury.

S5.3 Outside rearview mirror passenger's side. Each passenger car whose inside rearview mirror does not meet the field of view requirements of S5.1.1 shall have an outside mirror of unit magnification or a convex mirror installed on the passenger's side. The mirror mounting shall provide a stable support and be free of sharp points or edges that could contribute to pedestrian injury. The mirror need not be adjustable from the driver's seat but shall be capable of adjustment by tilting in both horizontal and vertical directions.
ZombieEatsYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #91
ZombieEatsYou

§ 393.80Rear-vision mirrors.
(a) Every bus, truck, and truck tractor shall be equipped with two rear-vision mirrors, one at each side, firmly attached to the outside of the motor vehicle, and so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway to the rear, along both sides of the vehicle. All such regulated rear-vision mirrors and their replacements shall meet, as a minimum, the requirements of FMVSS No. 111 (49 CFR 571.111) in force at the time the vehicle was manufactured.

(b) Exceptions.

(1) Mirrors installed on a vehicle manufactured prior to January 1, 1981, may be continued in service, provided that if the mirrors are replaced they shall be replaced with mirrors meeting, as a minimum, the requirements of FMVSS No. 111 (49 CFR 571.111) in force at the time the vehicle was manufactured.

571.111 is what I posted above.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #92
AACstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
Next is to see if an aftermarket item has to be approved by the D.O.T...
The DOT does not have a department that "approves" anything. FMVSS sets fourth standards that motor vehicles must adhere to. The testing is done by 3rd parties when it can not be determined if an item meets standards.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM   #93
ZombieEatsYou

Quote:
The DOT does not have a department that "approves" anything. FMVSS sets fourth standards that motor vehicles must adhere to. The testing is done by 3rd parties when it can not be determined if an item meets standards.
That's pretty much what I've found so far. DOT doesn't "approve" things, it's up to the manufacturer to acknowledge that their equipment meets the standard with those stamps everyone keeps asking about.

In anycase, here's Maryland's law about mirrors - seems to be in English.

"TITLE 22. VEHICLE LAWS -- EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
SUBTITLE 4. OTHER EQUIPMENT

Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 22-403 (2012)
§ 22-403. Mirrors

(a) Motor vehicles -- In general. -- Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least one mirror located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(b) Motor vehicles -- Registered in this State. -- Every motor vehicle registered in this State shall be equipped with an outside mirror on the driver's side located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle and along the driver's side of the vehicle. This subsection does not apply to motorcycles, which are governed by subsection (c) of this section."
Old 07-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #94
AACstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieEatsYou View Post
That's pretty much what I've found so far. DOT doesn't "approve" things, it's up to the manufacturer to acknowledge that their equipment meets the standard with those stamps everyone keeps asking about.

In anycase, here's Maryland's law about mirrors - seems to be in English.

"TITLE 22. VEHICLE LAWS -- EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
SUBTITLE 4. OTHER EQUIPMENT

Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 22-403 (2012)
§ 22-403. Mirrors

(a) Motor vehicles -- In general. -- Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least one mirror located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(b) Motor vehicles -- Registered in this State. -- Every motor vehicle registered in this State shall be equipped with an outside mirror on the driver's side located to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle and along the driver's side of the vehicle. This subsection does not apply to motorcycles, which are governed by subsection (c) of this section."
Correct and you would be in compliance because you can clearly see beyond 200 ft behind you
Old 07-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #95
ZombieEatsYou

On to another important question--- What color should I get? I have painted gloss hood stripes and carbon fiber T3 ports. Should I get mirrors gloss black to match the stripes or CF to match the ports (and the TF 3 version of 'Bee)? Opinions welcome!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #96
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Synergy Green set heading to C5F3!

I'm just surprised more people haven't per-ordered this MUST have mod

I'm sure once people see them in person this week; orders will sky rocket
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #97
AACstyle

We posted the checkout link on the sale thread here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213671
Old 08-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #98
AACstyle

These mirrors received a TON of attention at C5F3! Lots of good feedback from customers that were seeing these for the first time in person