Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
Tritanium

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Chevy Please Help!!! Dealer Installed 3.91 Gears.

I think I need some help from a Chevy Member. I'm trying to get the GM 3.91 gears installed which are advertised on the chevy website. I've gone to four different dealerships(two of which are very highly rated dealers). All four of the dealers looked at me like I was asking them to turn my car into a actual transformer. They all said they didn't have any clue what I was talking about and that the part doesn't exist. Even more pathetic is that two of the dealerships didn't even seem to know that cars had gears at all.

Basically my question is can someone please point me to a dealer within 50 miles of Philadelphia that can install the gears that Chevy has advertised on their website.
Tritanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
give bennet chevrolet a call (Mays Landing NJ) or spencer chevrolet (springfield PA)
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Just wondering, what vehicle application are those gears currently sold in?
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Just wondering, what vehicle application are those gears currently sold in?
They come in the 1LE, but are matched with a different transmission that the standard SS with the 3:4 whatever gears.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Tritanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmick5jr View Post
give bennet chevrolet a call (Mays Landing NJ) or spencer chevrolet (springfield PA)
Thanks, do you happen to know if either of them have ever done the gear installs.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritanium View Post
I think I need some help from a Chevy Member. I'm trying to get the GM 3.91 gears installed which are advertised on the chevy website. I've gone to four different dealerships(two of which are very highly rated dealers). All four of the dealers looked at me like I was asking them to turn my car into a actual transformer. They all said they didn't have any clue what I was talking about and that the part doesn't exist. Even more pathetic is that two of the dealerships didn't even seem to know that cars had gears at all.

Basically my question is can someone please point me to a dealer within 50 miles of Philadelphia that can install the gears that Chevy has advertised on their website.
http://www.chevrolet.com/chevy-perfo...re.extapp.html

Distance 32.9 miles
NUCAR CHEVROLET
174 N DUPONT PKY
NEW CASTLE, DE 19720-3125
Sales Phone: (302) 328-7000
Service Phone: (302) 416-4727
Old 10-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
Quote:
Thanks, do you happen to know if either of them have ever done the gear installs.
im not sure but call give them a call
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:49 AM   #8
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
I'd probably take it to a driveline or reputable transmission shop. They'd probably know what was going on, and might be cheaper as well.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
Big A

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2010 Camaro SS, DD-Fusion
Spencer Chevrolet (springfield PA)
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
Tritanium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
I'd probably take it to a driveline or reputable transmission shop. They'd probably know what was going on, and might be cheaper as well.
As stated by another user above. I would need to get it done at a Chevy dealership to keep my warranty. My cars only 6 months old so I would really like to keep the warranty until I pay it off.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
As stated by another user above. I would need to get it done at a Chevy dealership to keep my warranty. My cars only 6 months old so I would really like to keep the warranty until I pay it off.
Definitely important to make sure the speedo is calibrated and any computers that depend on an accurate gear ratio (auto trans shifts, etc) are programmed to accept the new ratio.

In the Jeep world, this is way easier. A $100 handheld programmer does all the work in about 2 minutes. I wasn't aware that only a Chevy dealer could reprogram for a different gear ratio.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Definitely important to make sure the speedo is calibrated and any computers that depend on an accurate gear ratio (auto trans shifts, etc) are programmed to accept the new ratio.

In the Jeep world, this is way easier. A $100 handheld programmer does all the work in about 2 minutes. I wasn't aware that only a Chevy dealer could reprogram for a different gear ratio.
I assume others can, but only the dealer can do it and maintain the warranty.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #13
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I contacted 2 local dealers and one of them refused to do the work but the other dealer said they would do the work if I purchased the parts. They would not warranty the parts so they wouldn't supply them.

I had it done 2 years ago and trust me it is a mod that is worth it. My problem is the dealer said they could recalibrate my speedo after they did the gears but come to find out they couldn't do it. I had been driving for 2 years with a speedo that showed I was going about 10MPH faster than I actually was. I called at least 10 places and no one could do the work, I finally called the guy that did the tune for me and he said he could do it. This was Steve @ RDP Motorsports, great guy and he knows his stuff for sure. It took me 2 1/2 hours to get to his shop and 5 minutes to re-calibrate my speedo....then 2 1/2 hours back home but now it's done and I don't have to think about it any more. I wonder how many extra miles my odometer shows that I didn't actually drive?
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
vyfxbrunowfr

Drives: audi
They'd probably know what was going on, and might be cheaper as well.
vyfxbrunowfr is offline   Reply With Quote