Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
Warranty question for CAI

I had a guy that worked at a chevy dealership tell me yesterday that if I have my dealership install the CAI I ordered that it would not void my warranty, since the dealer installed the modification.

True or false?

A yes or no will work for this. I have seen people getting wound up about warranty stuff. I have also seen plenty of posts with the magnuson moss act. I also don't need to hear that if you don't want your warranty voided don't change stuff. I bought the CAI for after the warranty initially, but if the dealer can put it on without voiding then I will do it asap.

To me I don't think that it is true. I just want to know before I go and ask my dealer and they say yes then go ahead and void my warranty anyway.
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
Technically true. But also, if you install it, or anybody else, it will not void your warranty either. Same thing with an exhaust system, or shorty headers.
A CAI won't cause any problems to void your warranty in any way, unless it is installed incorrectly, which is hard to mess up.

If they give you grief about it, find a new dealer.
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Madness11
086YN

Drives: Black 2SS/RS Demon of Madness
Thank you
Madness11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
This depends on the dealer. Some will not work on vehicles that are modified and some will install the parts for you. Overall GM's stance on any additions to the vehicle after it has been produced is able to void some part or portion of a warranty on the vehicle. I would suggest speaking with your dealer to make sure they are modification friendly and see if they'd willing to cover the vehicle with the modifications you are looking to put on the vehicle to make sure that you'll be covered. I hope that helps to answer your question Madness. If you've got any other questions let me know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
2quick

Drives: none
this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
This depends on the dealer. Some will not work on vehicles that are modified and some will install the parts for you. Overall GM's stance on any additions to the vehicle after it has been produced is able to void some part or portion of a warranty on the vehicle. I would suggest speaking with your dealer to make sure they are modification friendly and see if they'd willing to cover the vehicle with the modifications you are looking to put on the vehicle to make sure that you'll be covered. I hope that helps to answer your question Madness. If you've got any other questions let me know.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

This is exactly what i was going to say.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
From what I understand, if you have a CAI with a wet filter and you clean and re-oil, and over oil, you can kill your MAF sensor. In this case you would be on the hook for a new one. This is likely the only issue that a CAI could cause.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
From what I understand, if you have a CAI with a wet filter and you clean and re-oil, and over oil, you can kill your MAF sensor. In this case you would be on the hook for a new one. This is likely the only issue that a CAI could cause.
True. But to be more general: if the after market part is the origin of the problem, then it is NOT covered under warranty.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
TooManySS's

Drives: Jedi Mind Trick
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
True. But to be more general: if the after market part is the origin of the problem, then it is NOT covered under warranty.

YUP, GM has a bulletin out on this one.
And it doesn't have to be a cleaned one re-oiled to too much oil.
Dew, damp morning the condensation with the air box etc goes across the oiled filter and removes some fine particles of oil and deposits them on the MAF wires. This captures dirt and can cause P0300 misfire codes.

Actually I prefer not to use these CAI's.
The factory air boxes has silencers etc that just need to be removed then if you think a aftermarket filter really can flow enough more air than a stock one, add a AFE dry flow. They flow the same numbers as do oiled ones and really its a miniscule number.

They look pretty at best!!
TooManySS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
Ratt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2ss
Donuts, if you’re worried about the warranty bring in fresh donuts every time you get the oil changed. There is only one segment of the population that loves donuts more than cops and that’s mechanics.

The service manager started out as a mechanic and moved up. You can weld a windmill to the engine and as long as you feed him it will be overlooked.

Remember to always have the dealership change the oil, transmission fluid or any other low cost maintenance. If he isn’t making a little money on you why would he go out of his way to help you if he doesn’t have to? Oil and donuts, the way to a service manager’s heart.
Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
TooManySS's

Drives: Jedi Mind Trick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
Donuts, if you’re worried about the warranty bring in fresh donuts every time you get the oil changed. There is only one segment of the population that loves donuts more than cops and that’s mechanics.

The service manager started out as a mechanic and moved up. You can weld a windmill to the engine and as long as you feed him it will be overlooked.

Remember to always have the dealership change the oil, transmission fluid or any other low cost maintenance. If he isn’t making a little money on you why would he go out of his way to help you if he doesn’t have to? Oil and donuts, the way to a service manager’s heart.
There is alot of truth to this statement.
Its all about the money.
If you just buy a car there and only return just for warranty work which they really don't make a buck because more often than not what GM gives them is not enough to cover the time it really took to clear it up.
Schedules are fuller than if you came in regularly and the mechanics are told straight out, look for ways to make a buck.
Old sediment of one hand washes the other!
TooManySS's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #11
Ratt
Account Suspended

One last thing, always fill out the survey GM sends you after getting any type of service. Make sure to give them all top marks and they will remember you. GM must come down on a dealership hard if they get a bad survey because when I had to have the A/C belt replaced the manager asked me if I was satisfied and to please fill out the survey.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #12
air1kdf

Drives: his 45th SS everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
One last thing, always fill out the survey GM sends you after getting any type of service. Make sure to give them all top marks and they will remember you. GM must come down on a dealership hard if they get a bad survey because when I had to have the A/C belt replaced the manager asked me if I was satisfied and to please fill out the survey.
This is so true, and means more than donuts.
air1kdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #13
Ratt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by air1kdf View Post
This is so true, and means more than donuts.

You didn't see the size of this guy, the donuts helped.