Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
streetbeast

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS LS3
Leather conditioner ??

I am looking for a leather conditioner with no odor. My Camaro has about 1500 miles on it and I would like to condition the leather. Although I don't want to change the smell of the interior. The factory leather smell may be one of the best smells on the planet! Any recommendations? I also have concerns about the perforated leather, any application tips? Filling those little holes with conditioner doesn't seem attractive.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I know you want no odor, but Zaino Z-10 can not be beat on the real leather smell because it has real leather oil in it, not fake leather oil or fake smell.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
Haole
2017 SS

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
Your "new car" leather smell will eventually fade away. A few of Adams products I actually like are the leather cleaner and the conditioner. I have never had problems with it getting in the tiny holes and staying. No greasy feel left on the seats.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
cam fan

Drives: fast
I have only used Adam's conditioner and it does NOT smell like leather. It smells decent, like a hand lotion or such. Adam's conditioner though needs to be applied in tiny amounts so the other problem is that you don't know if you're even getting the stuff on there. If you put a tiny bit more it turns into ArmorAll and have shiny interior (not preferable)

Try the zaino and if there is any left shoot some this way
Old 04-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
spacecowby

Drives: 2010 black 2SS/RS
I use the Adams leather conditioner I and like the way it smells. Plus it makes the leather feel new.

Black cars are not hobbies, they are an obsession
spacecowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Zaino, some smell but like leather..will not greatly change the current smell.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Here is the thing..

Your leather on your Camaro really doesn't need to be conditioned, at least not in the marketing sense. This is because the leather in the Camaro is coated/pigmented leather with a spray vinyl dye. The actual surface you feel (and what provides your seats with the color) is actually a colored vinyl like material.

Proper leather care on new cars starts with keeping the leather absolutely clean. Vacuum it frequently to keep dust and dirt off of the surface. Dust and dirt will act like abrasives that will 'sand' the vinyl coating over time making it appear shiny, and evenutally sand through it so you can see the gray (natural) color of the hide underneath.

Clean the leather semi-frequently to remove harm impurities, namely body oils. Body oils can damage the coating on your leather over time and dry it out, which leads to premature creasing. Note some aging of the leather is unavoidable, particularly on the side bolsters, but much like skin, it can be reduced by maintence.

Lastly, use a high quality protectant that forums a layer of protection on the leather (similar to a wax for paint). This will reduce soiling and the effects from body oils, while reducing the chances of the leather getting stained from things like blue jean dye transfer.

The best leather care products I have tested and used are from Leather Masters. Leather Masters products are developed by the world-famous chemist Dr. Leo Tork and are manufactured in Italy. Leather Master private labels Ferrari's leather car products and makes a lot of products for the leather furniture market as well, working directly with leather manufacturers. Simply put, they are the best leather products I have ever used. They are also used by the top-end detailers around the country.

Over time the vinyl-like coating on your leather will become permeable and the leather underneath will become exposed. At this point you can use something like the Leatherique Treatment to deep condition the hide under the coating, but I wouldn't start with a regimen like this for at least 1 year.

Best of all, Leather Master's brand products (you want the Rapid Cleaner S and Leather Protection Cream) will not alter the smell or feel of your leather.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
cam fan

ADAM'S:
Had a little drizzle and after entering and exiting the car twice this happened:

Before I was just unimpressed, however I am NOT happy with this
Old 04-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam fan View Post
ADAM'S:
Had a little drizzle and after entering and exiting the car twice this happened:

Before I was just unimpressed, however I am NOT happy with this
Satin Prot.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
cam fan

What is satin prot?

I applied the conditioner to the black plastic
Old 04-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
CyberDan

Drives: 1SS Camaro
Adams products are sometimes inconsistent... I bought Adams svrt, 16oz.. The following week I bought a 36 ounce size. The 16 oz bottle was very watery compared to the thick svrt in the 36 oz bottle.. Not even close. The watery texture of the smaller bottle makes it tough to spread cause it just soaks into the tire applicator. What's the deal??
CAI Cold Air Intake, VMax CNC TB, Borla Sport Catback Exhaust, EE Oil Catch Can, Eibach Sway Bars and Drop Springs, AAC concept side markers, stealth signal bulbs, Heritage grille, Sparks Restorations front and rear modern SS emblems
CyberDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDan View Post
Adams products are sometimes inconsistent... I bought Adams svrt, 16oz.. The following week I bought a 36 ounce size. The 16 oz bottle was very watery compared to the thick svrt in the 36 oz bottle.. Not even close. The watery texture of the smaller bottle makes it tough to spread cause it just soaks into the tire applicator. What's the deal??
I just popped open a new bottle of SVRT I've had on the shelf for a while and it's quite watery too. Darker color too. I just assumed they changed the formula. Still worked fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam fan View Post
What is satin prot?

I applied the conditioner to the black plastic
It's the best interior conditioner I've ever used. Made by Werkstat. I always encourage people who are unhappy with what they're using to give it a try. Nobody has ever told me they were disappointed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
lanzajr26

Drives: 2012 SS Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
Your "new car" leather smell will eventually fade away. A few of Adams products I actually like are the leather cleaner and the conditioner. I have never had problems with it getting in the tiny holes and staying. No greasy feel left on the seats.
+1. I just did my seats yesterday, they feel and smell great today. No grease or residue, just nice shiny leather.
lanzajr26 is offline   Reply With Quote