Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Horrible buzzing - loose baffle in exhaust?

So about a month ago, I developed a horrible, intermittent buzzing that is present at start-up and is more prevalant at certain RPMS (60 MPH in 60th, 35-40 in 5th). It literally sounds like when you hum and whistle at the same time, if that makes any sense.

It's kind of embarrassing going from driving 'Bumble Bee' to having a car that SOUNDS like a bumble bee

I'm certain it is not anything to do with suspension, wheels/tires etc as it also happens when stationary with the car on but not in motion. It happens in and out of gear (m6). When I go around the car, the noise is centralized to the rear driver's side exhaust. At first, I thought maybe it was an exhaust leak or loose bolts as I had previously installed headers... but no, cats and headers were a little loose, I tightened them down and the sound is just as loud as before.

The only thing I keep thinking is that it could be one of the baffles in the exhaust? Nothing else seems to make sense to me. I haven't hit anything, have no damage to the car, and have confirmed proper fitment. I'm also afraid that the dealer might not warantee it if it is the muffler due to the headers... but they are usually pretty cool, so I am keeping hopeful.

EDIT: Also checked that the mufflers are properly mounted and still sitting on the hangars.

Has anyone else encountered this, and/or have any other ideas what it might be?

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
FRSTR90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS, 1973 Corvette
I'm in the same boat.. I have the same exact problem. Took it to the dealer, but it was a waste of time as they claimed they couldn't hear any rattle or buzzing sounds.. I haven't really bothered to make a big deal about it as I am looking to change the exhaust.

I may just purchase a Borla S-type axle back and run that until my powertrain warranty runs out..
FRSTR90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Skidpuppy
ACE5

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
It's most likely the heat shield under the car. Mine didn't rattle until I installed my Flowmasters. Now it rattles. I read the cure might be stuffing header wrap between the heat shield and the body.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Right, thanks! Will check the heat shield tonight and see if that might be the culprit.

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
NFERNOSS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS
Changed out a bunch of exhausts on '10's with broken baffles in the mufflers. Have not seen the issue on '11-12's. All were V8 cars if memory serves right.
NFERNOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
mkschmidtjr
2K11 2SS w/RS Jewel Red

Drives: 2K11 2SS w/RS package Jewel Red
@FRSTR90,

Yep changed out my exhaust on 2011 SS to Borla Type-S love it. Now it has been 8 months and still love the sound. Something I have noticed is there is a little rattle underneath the cabin maybe something needs to be tighten down. The performance shop I took it too noted that Borlas seem to get "loose" over time.

If you want to hear what the sounds like Borla has videos and I did a before and after video, posted it on youtube:

Have fun.
mkschmidtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
After about 1K miles on my cam and headers I got a bad buzzing and rattle in the driver's side stock muffler. It was most noticeable with a slow take off in 1st gear as the rpms rose through 1500 - 2000 rpm. Switched them out with a set of ARH mufflers to match my ARH headers and HF cats. Problem solved. I was warned by forum member Rage that this could happen and he was spot on.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
first one

Drives: SSRS - black, GFX, SSX wheels
I've had to replace mine twice. Check out the TSB on post #15.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ust+rattle+TSB
Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
mavric01

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro RJT/BLK stripes
I had the same problem, and it was the heat shield above the muffler. I haven't heard it since I got that taken care of !!!

Mav )