Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
Ok, so my gut was right...

My brakes don't squeak so brake clean/lube can happen when I get around to painting them.

Regarding the differential: can I get recommendations for what to use please. Also, is a flush necessary or just change it out?

Fuel system seems just fine. I have a catch can installed and so far the dealer has made no comment... seems to me the bottle of cleaner or octane boost I put in there every so often should be good enough?

I plan on cleaning the air filter soon, 50k seems a bit high for me.

Thanks guys for your help!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
partymn

Drives: 2014 1ss 1LE
I made the mistake of takeing my car to the dealership for rust eating through the front crash bar that I noticed during my turbo install. Well they had no problem ordering the new crash bar but I spent 2 hours talking to every technician that wanted to ask questions about the turbo kit. The techs are mostly just car guys like we are.

The dealerships make a good deal of money from service and warrenty work and they dont make the rules for service intervals, GM does. If the dealership realy wanted to be a douche they could void your warrenty if you dont get your service done by a certified mechanic and you have an issue. I wouldnt know this stuff but I had to convince myself to go ahead and void my warrenty with the turbo.

Go ahead and clean your filter as often as you want, the cleaning kit contains enough stuff to do it like 4 times. Whats the chances of you keeping track of the cleaning kit while you rack up 50,000 miles.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post

Regarding the differential: can I get recommendations for what to use please. Also, is a flush necessary or just change it out?
You'll get different opinions but Royal Purple is of course good, amsoil etc.
You can't flush a rear diff, it is drain and replace. I will be doing mine soon - with royal purple. I don't believe you need a friction modifier either (you will with GM brand) - but others will chime in on that.
I change my own oil - use Amsoil, and have just had the transmission flushed.
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Dealerships make a ton of money doing unneeded periodic maintenance. I wouldn't have anything done that's not called out in your owners manual. Read it... Live it...

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealership, maintenance, mileage, service