Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Renegade
Banned

Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
E.A Sports Named The Worst Company In America Again

For the second year in a row, readers of the consumer-watchdog website The Consumerist have named Electronic Arts "the worst company in America," vilifying the video game publisher more than Bank of America, Comcast and Ticketmaster (which took second, third and fourth places, respectively).
The results of the poll are hardly surprising -- even EA predicted it would repeat the dubious honor -- but they were certainly conclusive.

EA faced stiff competition en route to the championship round, besting fellow disliked companies Anheuser-Busch, Facebook and AT&T before squaring off against Bank of America in the final round of voting. BofA proved no match, however, as EA captured a decisive 78% of vote to take home the not-so-coveted "Golden Poo" award. It’s the second straight "win" for EA and the second straight runner-up nod for Bank of America.

EA was cited for its love of microtransactions, the price of its games and its irritating DRM practices, among other issues. But the disastrous SimCity launch was a particular sore point.
"EA made a royal mess of the SimCity release by failing to foresee that the people who would buy the game -- and who would, per the game’s design, be required to connect to the EA servers -- might actually want to play at some point in the week after making their purchase," wrote the site. "But that’s just the latest in EA’s long history of annoying its customer base with bad support. Customers who paid full price for games, or who spent or saved huge piles of in-game cash in EA’s online products, would suddenly find a problem with their accounts, but attempts to rectify the problem -- or even get a response from EA -- would go unheeded."

EA chief operating officer Peter Moore, in an open letter to gamers last week, admitted the company could do better, but said the label of "worst company" was undeserved.
"Are we really the 'Worst Company in America?'" he asked. "I'll be the first to admit that we’ve made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn’t meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this. … But I am damn proud of this company, the people around the globe who work at EA, the games we create and the people that play them."

Editors at The Consumerist seemed to take umbrage at Moore's pre-emptive defense of the company, deconstructing it as they announced the final round. The Consumerist also shrugged off Moore's criticism of EA being compared to companies that have polluted the planet and evicted people from their homes.
"Make no mistake: Video games are big business," the site said. "A company like EA -- and Activision, Ubisoft, Nintendo, and Sony, etc. -- merits just as much scrutiny as any other business that plays a leading role in a multibillion-dollar industry. It’s only a fractured, antiquated public perception that video games are somehow frivolous holdovers from childhood that allows gamers to be abused and taken advantage of by the very people who supply them the games they play."

Though no company wants to win this kind of award, EA in particular doesn't need more bad news. EA is already dealing with a much more significant issue thanks to the resignation of CEO John Riccitiello last month, not to mention continued fallout from the SimCity debacle. However, investors were undeterred when the company won last year, as the stock price was unaffected, and it didn't hurt game sales demonstrably -- though apparently EA is doing a perfectly fine job hurting itself.

EA bought and ruined too many franchises.

Last edited by Renegade; 04-09-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Well, I'm glad I waited to buy SimCity now...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Renegade
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Well, I'm glad I waited to buy SimCity now...
I bet so did everyone else.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
trewyn15

Drives: 2004 Monte Carlo LS
They're turning into Apple, everything's about money.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
They're turning into Apple, everything's about money.
You bought any EA games lately man?
Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
SIM Curly

Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
EAs the one who started online passes (So dumb) and the only game I buy from them is battlefield because Dice is a great company!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I love me some madden
Old 04-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM Curly View Post
EAs the one who started online passes (So dumb) and the only game I buy from them is battlefield because Dice is a great company!
I can't lie man..i'm a Madden fan.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
SIM Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
I can't lie man..i'm a Madden fan.
But the online passes but apparently all the new consoles will require an always on connection to play games
Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
But the online passes but apparently all the new consoles will require an always on connection to play games
I heard about this. The new Xbox will be revealed Next month. Anyone excited? None of the new systems PS4 and Xbox 720 will play used games. And their pushing towards always being online for the future. And backing up your data online aswell. It's going to suck for people who doesn't have internet or has crappy connection.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
SIM Curly

Quote:
I heard about this. The new Xbox will be revealed Next month. Anyone excited? None of the new systems PS4 and Xbox 720 will play used games. And their pushing towards always being online for the future. And backing up your data online aswell. It's going to suck for people who doesn't have internet or has crappy connection.
And I can guarantee my connection at college will have its bad sides I hope its not true
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
Renegade
Banned

Quote:
And I can guarantee my connection at college will have its bad sides I hope its not true
I don't mean to rain down on your parade..but, it's true man. And that's going to be the "key factor" in make it or break it with the two systems that's coming out. People are paranoid about the gov..always keeping eyes on them and e.t.c. So their not too happy about purchasing a product that (Requires) always online connection.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #13
SIM Curly

Quote:
I don't mean to rain down on your parade..but, it's true man. And that's going to be the "key factor" in make it or break it with the two systems that's coming out. People are paranoid about the gov..always keeping eyes on them and e.t.c. So their not too happy about purchasing a product that (Requires) always online connection.
It's not that its just always on will be hectic on the server side of things. And when your Internets down and you cant play single player...
Old 04-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
It's not that its just always on will be hectic on the server side of things. And when your Internets down and you cant play single player...
then you pull out the 360 or ps3. lol