Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
dragon22

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
ThomaSS

Well, I've decided to start a build thread...as slow and painful as it might be.
Between the hours I work, cash flow and time...this could be a longer build than most.

In June of 2009, I bought a 2010 2LT/RS with GFX. Black on black. I ordered in CGM rally stripes and had them installed.

The next thing I did was I took it to Shadow Tint in Calgary and had Jonas 3M the complete hood, fenders and front fascia. It was well worth the $1600.00 to get this done. We took a trip to Yellowstone that year and a bird dive bombed the car. (It must have been on crack!) I've never seen a bird do that before. But the 3M saved the day! I strongly recommend it.

Next to be done was an axle back exhaust. I had Speedy muffler put on a couple of Magnaflows to "liven" it up a bit. It was just right. A very slight drone on the highway, but nothing that drove you crazy. That was about $700.00 and I had them put some oval tips on the exhaust and extend them even with the rear fascia. Anyone who the factory GFX knows that you are forever cleaning the chrome bezels of exhaust soot.

I also bought a set of 17" winter rims and tires for it as my Camaro(s) are my daily driver. Thank you to the Tire Rack for those. Awesome deal! That was $1600.00 shipped to my door...installed, balanced, TMPS installed, shipping, duty...you name it...it was all inclusive!

That was about all I did on the 2LT/RS

(Yep, the "Husky" guy is me. We don't use the "f" word)
Attached Images

dragon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
dragon22

On February 12, 2011 I traded my 2010 2LT/RS in on a 2010 2SS/RS that was on the lot, reduced to sell as the 2011's were in and apparently nobody wanted the 2010. For once, I was in the right place at the right time.

I brought it home that day, put it in my garage and went to work. (Not on the car, but my place of employment). Nice, hey? Buy a car and have to work?

Anyway, I came home that night, dropped my stuff in the house and went out to the new car and found the back window shattered!

Nobody knows why it happened and I never even thought to take pictures. What happened was I sat in the car, closed the door and heard a noise like ice falling on the car. It was shortly after that I noticed the rear window was shattered. We will probably never know why that happened.

The important thing is, Southgate was awesome with it. They flew a window in from Minnesota, repainted the back end of the car as the glass scratched it quite badly, and installed splash guards for free!

The night I picked it up, I had to get it like this...
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
dragon22

My Co-worker took the above photo. I think he fell in love with my Camaro that night. LOL

He was very meticulous in hooking it up to make sure nothing was ruined. It was about -29C that night. Bitterly bitter cold! There was no way I could have driven the car that night with the Pirelli hockey pucks on there. The summer performance tires were like bricks!

He dropped it off at the mouth of the alley for me and I managed to nurse it into the garage.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #4
dragon22

So far I have put a Cold Air Inductions CAI on this car. I have to say, it is everything I expected!

The install was easy, fitment is superb, great sound...and increase fuel mileage? Maybe...if I can keep my foot out of it!

It just sounds so awesome! And response is greatly enhanced. Funny how these engines perform when you allow them to breath a bit.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
dragon22

I have a couple of badges on my hood cowl...
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Did you notice a big difference with the CAI?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks good
Old 03-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
dragon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73camarolt View Post
Did you notice a big difference with the CAI?
The biggest difference was first in sound. It gave the factory exhaust a deeper note and of course you could really hear it under the hood when you get on it.

I think there is a difference in power. Not a lot...but a bit. Now if a person were to have the tune tweaked, I'm sure it would deliver more. I'm going to hold off on the tune for now though as I am eventually going to do headers, cats and exhaust.

I will say though, the quality is worth it!

And my wife is standing over my shoulder saying she could feel a difference in the power from the passenger seat. (I seriously think she feels it has more power because of the sound).
Old 03-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
dragon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
looks good
Thanks! You have some beautiful vehicles there too!

If it ever warms up, and dries up in Canada, I'm going to give her a good bath, polish, wax and take some proper pictures.

Also need it warmer so I can install these on each side.
Attached Images

Old 03-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
73camarolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon22 View Post
The biggest difference was first in sound. It gave the factory exhaust a deeper note and of course you could really hear it under the hood when you get on it.

I think there is a difference in power. Not a lot...but a bit. Now if a person were to have the tune tweaked, I'm sure it would deliver more. I'm going to hold off on the tune for now though as I am eventually going to do headers, cats and exhaust.

I will say though, the quality is worth it!

And my wife is standing over my shoulder saying she could feel a difference in the power from the passenger seat. (I seriously think she feels it has more power because of the sound).
I am planning on getting a Roto-fab towards the end of the month. Cant wait!!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
dragon22

They look great too! When I was a Davenport to buy my CAI, they gave me a tour of the shop and showed me the Camaro they have in there. They have a Roto-fab on it and I have to say...it looks excellent! I almost changed my mind. LOL
Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73camarolt View Post
I am planning on getting a Roto-fab towards the end of the month. Cant wait!!
I know where you can get a good deal on one... lol...

Dragon, Great start, and I like the sotry of the dive bombing bird...

I'll follow along as you go, i'm hoping my car is ready in two weeks when I get home...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
73camarolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

I'll follow along as you go, i'm hoping my car is ready in two weeks when I get home...
hmm i wonder where....
Old 03-20-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
dragon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

Thanks, and yes that stupid bird scared the living...well, you know...out of us!

You're going to have to be real patient with this build as it will be little by little, piece by piece. LOL

What is being done to your car?