Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKnight1SS View Post
I have to say I disagree with this. You can build a better SS non-1LE for less than $3500, not to mention some brands of aftermarket are even better than what comes on the Camaro from the factory. Upgrade the full suspension along with better gearing and you'll be better up to par if not better performing than stock 1LE. That goes without saying that your SS will always be an SS and never labeled a 1LE though
The list of upgrades for 3500 on a 1le is not possible to upgrade a SS anywhere close. Like mentioned just the wheels and tires put you over or close ratio trans pick one...

Here is the full list your 3500 buys you:
  • close ratio manual transmission that has higher final drive (3.91 vs. 3.45)
  • air-to-liquid cooling system lifted from the ZL1 (trans and oil coolers)
  • 20-inch wheels covered in Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires, 285 on all 4 corners
  • Improved wheel bearings (zl1)
  • Improved toe links
  • upgraded sub-frame bushes
  • Better rear shock mounts
  • rear monotube shocks
  • thicker antiroll bars(27mm front, 28mm rear)
  • strut-tower bar
  • beefed up the rear-axle half-shafts
  • ZL1's high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups were also added to prevent fuel starvation in hard-cornering situations.
  • matte-black hood
  • functional front splitter
  • rear spoiler
  • Oil catch can
  • red Brembo brake calipers
  • ZL1's flat-bottom, microfiber-covered steering wheel
  • short shifter topped with a microfiber shift knob.

And Don't forget electric power steering in 2013 models. And NPP is a nice option for a turnkey car.

Good luck getting all that for under 3500 even if the parts were free you would spend a significant amount of that 3500 paying to have the parts installed (unless you did all the work yourself).

Sure you can upgrade an ss to exceed a factory 1le but you are paying north of 10k to do so.

Last edited by BigBlock69RS; 05-26-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Missed an item
BigBlock69RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
^^^^What him said^^^^
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
JimAlan

Drives: Black 2SS RS 1LE
Granted I am a Newb! BUT...If you don't own a 1LE and/or have not driven over a test drive then you should not respond. I test drove both and as my DD, the 1LE is a great deal more fun on the road. It will cost less to buy a spare set of wheels and tires for the winter. I do like to jack rabbit from time to time, the Good year F1s barely break, then grab, and I shoot down the road. I will never take this car on a licensed strip or on a road course. To respond to your OP...the 1LE suspension is awesome, steering is very tight, and I get complimented on the wheels all the time. If you are not into curvy roads and only looks then buy a SS and upgrade. I agree on the NAV, its nice but seldom used. The lower gauges look nice but I never look at them when driving. That being sad, ONLY you can decide what is important to your driving experience. Side note...I don't get the garage queens, as they are built to drive. I guess if I had more money than sense I could own a show car IDK?
JimAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
^^^Did he just say more money than sense?? Oh boy!

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I would get a 1SS everytime. IMO the 2SS offers nothing performance related over the 1SS. Maybe even hinderence because of the leather seats.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
43k is exactly how much a 2SS/RS 1LE will run you. Maybe 1k or so less.

Thats just how much the car costs. The ZL1 is a great deal, but do you have financing or the cash to cover 12k more? Plus tax.

Just quickly building a ZL1, it would already be up to 60k for me to have the trans, color, and rims I want.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
I would get a 1SS everytime. IMO the 2SS offers nothing performance related over the 1SS. Maybe even hinderence because of the leather seats.
It just comes down to what you want.
I love the 2SS for the great heated leather seats, tech, gauges, etc. I can't wait to turn on the heated seats everytime I jump in the car. Man it feels good on your lower back.

But if I was just looking to build a race car, I'd get a budget 1SS and mod the crap out of it.

What I find interesting is some guys that have purchased 1LEs are swapping out the factory suspension for aftermarket. Now that I find interesting. You buy a 1LE (for the extras) and then you just remove the parts with aftermarket (Pedders, etc).
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I plan on doing a couple of bushing upgrades as recommended by Pete. Then I will add some drop springs to tighten up the wheel gap after that the suspension is plenty good for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Old 05-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
JambaJuiced

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE AGM
Get what makes you happy...opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one...

You will be the one driving it and making the pmts...the whole making a better SS for 3500 is complete bs as what was already pointed out...I am truly amazed by what we get for a mere 3500 more...
JambaJuiced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #24
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
So I drove a 1SS 1LE (no other options) last week. Awesome drive, and at $36.2k (price the dealer was offering up front), very affordable. The problem with it (for me) is that it doesn't have any features that are currently on my 2LT.

Ideally for me, I would want 2SS 1LE with NPP. The only ones I have found within a reasonable distance are $43k+ MSRP because they have the RS package, extra cost paint, NAV as well.

Looking at cars that are just a few grand more (both new and slightly used), I am just having a hard time justifying that price for a non-ZL1 Camaro.
I paid 36 and change for my 2SS 1LE, Got 3k off the Msrp and another 2K in rebates... No RS package (total waste on this car), I just added the GM halo's for a lot less money then the RS package.(pic below)...Not to mention the non RS package comes with Black trim and fin on the roof of the car versus painted and in my opinion this looks way better cause it matches the theme of the car better
I also do not have the Npp exhaust cause I wanted a better sounding custom exhaust (not that the npp sounds bad, just prefer my set up)..I will be doing the quad tips soon though.
43 + K is pretty standard on a FULLY loaded 2SS 1LE though, it comes down to what options you need or want or possibly what you can add later to cut cost now..
So basically there are deals out there you just have to do a lot of searching and Work these sales people/managers over, The right dealerships want to sell the car trust me, especially with the new 14's coming out. Also you really need to try and take advantage of some rebates!
One thing is for sure though is the 1LE is TOTALLY WORTH IT, whether it be for the track or a DD!!!
Attached Images

CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #25
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
I paid 36 and change for my 2SS 1LE, Got 3k off the Msrp and another 2K in rebates... No RS package (total waste on this car), I just added the GM halo's for a lot less money then the RS package.(pic below)...Not to mention the non RS package comes with Black trim and fin on the roof of the car versus painted and in my opinion this looks way better cause it matches the theme of the car better
I also do not have the Npp exhaust cause I wanted a better sounding custom exhaust (not that the npp sounds bad, just prefer my set up)..I will be doing the quad tips soon though.
43 + K is pretty standard on a FULLY loaded 2SS 1LE though, it comes down to what options you need or want or possibly what you can add later to cut cost now..
So basically there are deals out there you just have to do a lot of searching and Work these sales people/managers over, The right dealerships want to sell the car trust me, especially with the new 14's coming out. Also you really need to try and take advantage of some rebates!
One thing is for sure though is the 1LE is TOTALLY WORTH IT, whether it be for the track or a DD!!!

Howd you add the halos?
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #26
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
Howd you add the halos?
There is a forum member here who sells them.
Camaro2LT...his name is Richie, he is a great guy and has excellent service and a very reasonable price on them. They are actual GM ones too...
Just PM him....
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #27
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
It just comes down to what you want.
I love the 2SS for the great heated leather seats, tech, gauges, etc. I can't wait to turn on the heated seats everytime I jump in the car. Man it feels good on your lower back.

But if I was just looking to build a race car, I'd get a budget 1SS and mod the crap out of it.

What I find interesting is some guys that have purchased 1LEs are swapping out the factory suspension for aftermarket. Now that I find interesting. You buy a 1LE (for the extras) and then you just remove the parts with aftermarket (Pedders, etc).

But it goes beyond that. You get a better final drive and transmission.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
If I was looking to upgrade from a stockish SS or buying a new SS, it would definately be a 13' 1LE. They are an awesome platform to start with...