Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
what is magnetic ride

what's this magnetic drive that the new ZL has? never heard of it
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #2
mpate16

Drives: 2012 Camaro LSX 2LT RS
Some type of magnetic fluid stiffens up the suspension on demand.... So it has touring for daily driving and stiffer suspension for track/racing.

The corvette has it
mpate16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Magnetic Ride is a system where there are what are essentially metal particles suspended in the shock fluid. An electrical charge, controlled probably by the body control module, changes the effective viscocity and thickness of the fluid in order to control the piston better. You can have a more supple, street-friendly ride, or an aggressive, performance ride.

That's a real quick rundown.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetorheological_damper

"A magnetorheological damper or magnetorheological shock absorber is a damper filled with magnetorheological fluid, which is controlled by a magnetic field, usually using an electromagnet.[1][2][3] This allows the damping characteristics of the shock absorber to be continuously controlled by varying the power of the electromagnet. This type of shock absorber has several applications, most notably in semi-active vehicle suspensions which may adapt to road conditions, as they are monitored through sensors in the vehicle, and in prosthetic limbs...

These types of systems are available from OEMs for several vehicles, including the Acura MDX, Audi TT and R8, Buick Lucerne, Cadillac CTS-V, DTS, XLR, SRX, STS, Chevrolet Corvette, Ferrari 599GTB, 458 Italia and Holden HSV Commodore.[2] These systems were produced by the Delphi Corporation and now by BWI Group under the proprietary name MagneRide.[5]

MillenWorks has also included them in several military vehicles including the MillenWorks Light Utility Vehicle, and in retrofits to the US Army Stryker and HMMWV for testing by TARDEC..."

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Delphi invented it a few years ago. The fluid has iron/magnetic particles that align differently as current is applied. The shocks can instantly change from very soft to firm in micro seconds, as commanded by the computer reacting to road conditions and which position the driver has selected - touring or sport. Awesome suspension, only downside is you don't want to see one leak after your warranty expires.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
DLB

Drives: 74 Camaro Type LT with a BB454
Its Simply Awesome! Go test drive a car with it! It will put a big smile on your face
DLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Delphi invented it a few years ago. The fluid has iron/magnetic particles that align differently as current is applied. The shocks can instantly change from very soft to firm in micro seconds, as commanded by the computer reacting to road conditions and which position the driver has selected - touring or sport. Awesome suspension, only downside is you don't want to see one leak after your warranty expires.
I've read these aren't too terribly priced to replace. That's relative, though...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
oh, that's a neat option. thanks for enlightening me. i actually had a 08 corvette for 3 days last year and i don't remember really playing with the suspension setting on it.

wish i would have known this then, would have payed more attention to it.

thanks again.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain View Post
oh, that's a neat option. thanks for enlightening me. i actually had a 08 corvette for 3 days last year and i don't remember really playing with the suspension setting on it.

wish i would have known this then, would have payed more attention to it.

thanks again.
It should really be an improvement on the chassis and make it quite a good driving car.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #10
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
and its magnetic ride, not drive (changed thread title, for future searches)
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
miSSouri_5

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS RS
Magnetic Ride Tech

I just watched an episode of Nova 'Making Stuff Smarter', this technology was explained and demonstrated on a military Humvee. Very slick and amazing to be offered on new camaro.

Mods so Far: - Tinted windows - Molded Quarter Flares - cgm vinyl bow-ties - weathertech dig-fit floor liners
COMING SOON: Catback Exhaust - Painted Stripes (gloss black) - tinted brake lights/side markers
miSSouri_5 is offline   Reply With Quote