Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
SS Joey

Drives: 12' Black Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Train Horn??

Has anyone installed a train horn on their camaro v8? I have seem other posts about it but not sue if it will fit in the v8. Any videos would be great too...thanks
2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible * Forgiato Wheels 24" front 26" rear * Catback Magnaflow Exhaust with 5" chrome tips * Blacked out emblems * AAC Aqua interior and footwell lights * VIS Terminator Carbon Fiber Hood * Pioneer Double Din/Carbon Fiber Scosche Kit * Oracle Red LED bowtie *
SS Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Sir Nuke installed one in his Camaro.

Why does it matter if it's a V6 or V8?
Old 02-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
SS Joey

with the engine being bigger i heard the horns may not fit...not sure if thats true or not.
2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible * Forgiato Wheels 24" front 26" rear * Catback Magnaflow Exhaust with 5" chrome tips * Blacked out emblems * AAC Aqua interior and footwell lights * VIS Terminator Carbon Fiber Hood * Pioneer Double Din/Carbon Fiber Scosche Kit * Oracle Red LED bowtie *
Old 02-19-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
>> http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157184
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Joey View Post
with the engine being bigger i heard the horns may not fit...not sure if thats true or not.
Joey........it won't make any difference. At least not with my set up. the only difference in the front facia's shape is the bottom half....and you would actually have more room, but the trumpets are on the top half.

The link Jim posted above is my install DIY. there is a video how they sound..... and just below it is a complete downloadable set of detailed instructions.

on but just one more thing.....these are not true TRAIN HORNS.....in reality they are Semi (Tractor Trailer) Horns.....same tome, same DB rating....so YES, if it makes a difference to you or not, they are legal in all 50 states as your primary horn.....if you so desire to hook them up like that. In my set up you have the option to run them full time, or you can use the stickers, as they are retained.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
SS Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Joey........it won't make any difference. At least not with my set up. the only difference in the front facia's shape is the bottom half....and you would actually have more room, but the trumpets are on the top half.

The link Jim posted above is my install DIY. there is a video how they sound..... and just below it is a complete downloadable set of detailed instructions.

on but just one more thing.....these are not true TRAIN HORNS.....in reality they are Semi (Tractor Trailer) Horns.....same tome, same DB rating....so YES, if it makes a difference to you or not, they are legal in all 50 states as your primary horn.....if you so desire to hook them up like that. In my set up you have the option to run them full time, or you can use the stickers, as they are retained.
Thanks Sir Nuke...much appreciated. Im looking forward to this mod!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
This is my next mod.
I used to have one in my truck, I loved it, especially when a cluster of hucks would slowly jaywalk in front of me in DC. Loved to watch them jump and poop their pants.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
SS Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post

Are you able to put a bigger horn system in there or the one you linked the biggest one that fits?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Joey View Post
Are you able to put a bigger horn system in there or the one you linked the biggest one that fits?
If you looked at the instructions at the bottom.....the system I have has a 1-1/2 gallon tank and compressor, its mounted in the trunk. And has a dual set of trumpets.....

Name:  comp and tank.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  33.6 KB

There is another kit that they sell, and the actual install would be the exact same, other than mounting the trumpets themselves, that the only difference in the two kits is the trumpets, this one has 3. The tone is a little different, but has the same 140 DB rating. and sounds more like a train.....and will or should I say it SHOULD fit. HOWEVER, you may have to take off the front fascia to install the trumpets themselves, and that was something I didn't want to have to do. the trumpets total length are shorter, but the height is a bit taller, since they are not straight in a row. here is a link directly to that kit.

http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts...VIAIR20003.htm
Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Instead of going through all that, just buy one of these self contained units, made for bikes they're nice and compact and they are loud (139db). Typical train horns are anywhere from 130db to 150db.

http://www.aerostich.com/ear-cannon-air-horn.html
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Instead of going through all that, just buy one of these self contained units, made for bikes they're nice and compact and they are loud (139db). Typical train horns are anywhere from 130db to 150db.

http://www.aerostich.com/ear-cannon-air-horn.html
well for starters......the tone of those horns are like high pitched European and Japanese horns.....NOT the deep tones that are accomplished with actual air horns..

oh and btw.....do your homework.....The maximum volume for a train horn has been established at 110 decibels per Code of Federal Regulations Part 229.129 Sub part C.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx....30.48&idno=49

Tags
train horn