Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-24-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
MarkusLee_CC

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
To Mod or Not to Mod That is the Question

Hey guys I have a 14 2SS L99 and basically I'm a lil hesitant to mod my car...

Here's what I want to do to my car

Hennessey cold Air intake+ Borla Long tube Headers w/ Borla ss exhaust+ a tune

And ima little nervous, the reason being is that modifications void warranty.

My hesitation behind this stems from an incident that occurred at the drag strip... I was dragging against my cousins WRX Sti, when all of a sudden mid race I see him slow down to the point were he was @ snail speed crossing the finish. Upon further inspection we detected a "knocking" sound coming from his engine. @ idle it continued to "knock" , so of course he took it to the dealership where they told him, the engine would have to be replaced and if they found any modifications he would have to pay 10g's for a rebuild....

So simply put, if I do decide to void warranty, what is the likely hood of my engine to "die"

What was your experience with your current modifications and am I just being to cautious with such few mods?

Thanks guys
MarkusLee_CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Basically if you play expect to pay. If you can't afford a new motor, trans or diff I wouldn't do anything.

If you have a good tuner you shouldn't have any problems but there are things out of everyone's controll like a failed oil pump, bad bearing, bad lifter or spring, etc.

Just my $.02
Old 08-24-2014, 01:24 AM   #3
TX/ZL1

Drives: '14 ZL1 RRM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Basically if you play expect to pay. If you can't afford a new motor, trans or diff I wouldn't do anything.

If you have a good tuner you shouldn't have any problems but there are things out of everyone's controll like a failed oil pump, bad bearing, bad lifter or spring, etc.

Just my $.02
Good advice.
I go back and forth myself....but I'm staying stock for now. Voiding the warranty on a brand new car scares the crap out of me.
TX/ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #4
MarkusLee_CC

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post

Just my $.02
Thanks bro, ya I'm definitely not in a position to buy a new engine but dam I have this bad urge to leave my friends 5.0 in the dust lol ughhh
MarkusLee_CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:17 AM   #5
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
You can do an intake. Headders you could probably get away with but with no tune so it's kinda a mute point.

Or you could always do a SC that comes with a power train warranty. Don't know how good the warranties are but it is an option for those that want more power but want a warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX/ZL1 View Post
Good advice.
I go back and forth myself....but I'm staying stock for now. Voiding the warranty on a brand new car scares the crap out of me.
I would do what I said above or nothing. Hence why I have just stuck with suspension, brakes and a few cosmetic mods for now.

Soon I will do LT's, cam and tune when I am prepared to roll the dice.

Keep in mind there are a lot of guys out there that have had no issues but there is always a chance. Not trying to scare you but that is the reality of the situation.

Last edited by CHMSC; 08-24-2014 at 08:33 AM.
CHMSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:50 AM   #6
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Start with the bolt ons and see how you like it. I don't think a tune is worth it without some major mods, i.e.; FI, cam, gears, etc.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
umiami2312

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE Blue Ray Metallic
Here's a good read for this:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267574
umiami2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
NinoSS

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM LS3
These LS engines have been around for a long time They are very strong and simple to tune. I would say with just external mods (bolt ons) and a tune you are safe. These cars are awesome with longtubes, intake and tune... Choose a reputable tuner and enjoy...

When you go FI or a cam, you really need to be prepared for the worst case...

This is just my opinion...
Old 08-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
As stated, the cold air intake is likely not an issue... but most other engine mods can void a warranty for sure. Part of the cost of your car is the warranty, when you buy new, so why not just leave it be (SS is pretty fast anyways - mine is and it's got more guts that I can use on a public road). In my situation, I have other cars (way out of warranty AND not affected by inspections/emissions) that I can heavy mod on. Your mod may have nothing to do with something on the engine failing, but the fact that you have it may be enough for them to refuse warranty service.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
That boxer North American 2.5 liter engine in the Impreza STI has well established issues with ringlands going bad, as soon as you do anything to that engine other than leaving it OEM. That is literally, the only engine out there that I would never mod for sake of warranty, only because....quite frankly, that North American 2.5 sucks period imho. The 2.0 in Japan on the other hand ROCKS.

Thankfully, our LS3/L99 engines are rock solid, personally I would not worry AT ALL with bolt ons. Build yourself a bolt-on car, you will be pleased.

As for warranty, quite simple, this is how I see it. If you want to play with the big boys, but worried about warranty, then buy a SC kit, from a SC manufacturer that offers optional(add additional cost) powertrain warranty, to compliment the factory one.

Pay to play indeed.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #11
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Go for Vmax TB and CAI.inc intake. You will like the gain and sound with no worries on your warranty.

I have L99 2014 as well and I tuned it with these mods. The tune voids the warranty but I dont care. I just love the way it drives.