Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
1LE Oil Separator install on a V6

Part Number 12653073

So many of you guys have seen SS owners installing the 1LE separators on their cars for the clean side but probably have never seen the GM 1LE separator on a V6. As to my knowledge I am the first to install one so I figured I would make a DIY for others that wish to do this. The main thing I ran into is that the Separator’s fittings are 3/8th of an inch while the LLT’s (not quite sure about the LFX) Clean side fittings (On the rear driver side valve cover and the other on the intake elbow) are ½ inch. Now for those curios on if this will work with the engine cover I will say it’s possible but it will be a very tight fit both on height and fitting in the cut-out on the engine cover.

Here are some pictures of the 1LE separator not installed on the car so you can get a general idea of what it looks like. You also can take it apart to clean the inside of it in the future if you wanted to.

Liked I mentioned above the main issue I ran into was that the Separator’s fittings were 3/8 while the LLT’s fittings were a 1/2 so I had to find something that would let me change hose sizes. I ran all over town trying to find a in-line 1/2-3/8 reducer so that I could connect to the Intake elbow on my CAI inc intake. After about 4 stores I finally found one at O'Reilly’s. They charged me 4 dollars for one adapter (Which is very high but I wasn’t going to complain because I knew I wasn’t going to find another in town). Here is a picture of the adapter I purchased:

The next thing I had to find was a plug to close off the fitting on the rear valve cover. To do this purchased a plug that would slip in and hold pretty tight on the existing half-inch hose that was on the stock clean air line. The rubber plug I bought was 9/16 X 3/8 X 1 and came in a two pack at Lowes. Here’s a picture of the Plug and of it in place on the existing half-inch line

Once I had that done I took the plastic hose that comes with the separator and cut it so that I could use the quick disconnect fitting. My reason behind this is so when it comes time to change the oil or if I need to remove the Separator it would be much simpler since I don’t have to pull off the hoses. Below is a picture of the quick disconnect fitting after cutting away all the plastic that was molded onto it from the line that is included.

Now that I had all the pieces I needed to make the line that would connect to the intake I assembled it and this was it came out to look like

You can see the reducer that was used to change to the 3/8 size here in this picture

Basically now that the line is assembled you simply just have to screw in the separator and slip on the line. I decided to not use the oil neck extender because it made it a little bit to tall. You could use it if you wanted to but it is a very tight fit when the hood closes. The top of the separator is basically hitting the insulation piece that is on the top of the hood.

Here are my installed and done pictures. Like I said previously You might be able to use an engine cover but it will be a very and I mean very tight fit and you must remove the rubber seal/spacer that is on the engine cover’s oil hole in order to screw in the separator. But if you have the LLT with the Black Ice or Mace spacers chances are this will not work with the cover.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask me either by PM or by just replying to the thread and I will try to answer them the best I can
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Thanks!

I just ordered for the LFX
Old 08-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Thanks!

I just ordered for the LFX
Where did you order from? I got mine from pace performance at the fest and they just shipped it to my house since they didn't have any there.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
intensifi

Maureen @ Rodgers Chevrolet.

In stock!

Discount plus free shipping!
Old 08-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Maureen @ Rodgers Chevrolet.

In stock!

Discount plus free shipping!
Yup Maureen in great and is normally my go to for any GM parts. In fact I just ordered some little things from her today.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
intensifi

Any changes you have noticed yet?

This is probably only applicable if you had a breather on before.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Any changes you have noticed yet?

This is probably only applicable if you had a breather on before.
I haven't noticed any changes but I didn't have the breather. But I don't really drive my Camaro much. I turned it on today to see how it reacted with the Separator and it all sounded good but I never drove it. I will be driving it in two weeks for a local group meet though so then I will be able to tell if there was a difference
Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Thanks Freddy! that's all I need!
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
Thanks Freddy! that's all I need!
No problem Monchy. Glad I could help out
Old 08-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #10
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT VR/RS CGM Rally's
great idea! might do this on mine
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
Isn't this going to suck all of the engine oil through the intake at WOT? I can understand about catching the crankcase oil fumes with a clean-side can, but this looks like a bad design.
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzark99 View Post
Isn't this going to suck all of the engine oil through the intake at WOT? I can understand about catching the crankcase oil fumes with a clean-side can, but this looks like a bad design.
I am almost positive that it won't suck up your oil at WOT. In fact when you open the separator there is only a small little opening for the oil that is captured to trickle back into the fill. You really well only see benefits from the separator at WOT since that's when your Vacuum on the PCV will go away and the Blow By will follow the Path of least resistance to your intake track. GM designed this piece for use on their cars so I'm pretty sure that GM would not create a horrible design and put it in the hands of several customers.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
CamaroLS

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Met. Camaro 1SS Vert
Thanks for the write up!!
CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
SuperSlick

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LS
What would plugging the other line that you are not using do? will the fumes escape through the separator now instead of the stock pvc line?
SuperSlick is offline   Reply With Quote