Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #29
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
ZOMG, those big brushes just cleaned some Ford F150 that was off roading for the weekend.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:33 AM   #30
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
I wish I could wash mine by hand every week, but that isn't possible since I live at an apartment. The two solutions are touchless carwashes and the coin-operated do it yourself jobs. Only problem with the second option is they have that big coarse brush so I'd have to bring my own cloths. I think I'll end up doing that so I can then apply my own wax/polish after washing.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:08 AM   #31
Outrun

Drives: ...
That was painful to watch. :(
Outrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #32
Bleueyes3334
BLEUZ10

Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT SR BK Lthr
Send a message via AIM to Bleueyes3334
I'll be calling the Mobile Car Wash Dude to do my car while I am at work!
Bleueyes3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #33
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I wish I could wash mine by hand every week, but that isn't possible since I live at an apartment. The two solutions are touchless carwashes and the coin-operated do it yourself jobs. Only problem with the second option is they have that big coarse brush so I'd have to bring my own cloths. I think I'll end up doing that so I can then apply my own wax/polish after washing.
Thats where I go, Because my HOA doesn't allow me to wash my car in the drive way. It's a pain in the ass, I bring 2 buckets 3 sets of 2 towels each.. one for upper dry, one set for windows, one for wheels.. then I bring 2 mits.. one for wheels one for body. BUT the end result is a clean car with minimum to no swirls.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #34
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
The paint is not as bad as scraping the rims on that guard rail..
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #35
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav1 View Post
Thats where I go, Because my HOA doesn't allow me to wash my car in the drive way. It's a pain in the ass, I bring 2 buckets 3 sets of 2 towels each.. one for upper dry, one set for windows, one for wheels.. then I bring 2 mits.. one for wheels one for body. BUT the end result is a clean car with minimum to no swirls.
Trooper!! I may try that approach...so you pretty much just get water from them and use the space??
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #36
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
At least the guy is out driving his Camaro and not spending countless hours hand washing it in his driveway.

For a lot of us, this goes against what we'd do for our own cars but think about these things...

1. Maybe he lives in an apartment and doesn't have a place to wash his car.
2. He just spent $5 and 2 minutes to wash his car. How much does it cost you and how long does it take for your car?
3. Maybe it's "just a car" for him. He may move on to something else when the newness wears off on the Camaro.
4. Maybe he's headed to pick up his girlfriend for a date and didn't have time to hand wash it.

Just some thoughts...
Yeah,....in other words = LAZY!!!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #37
UncleBenny

Drives: 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
At least the guy is out driving his Camaro and not spending countless hours hand washing it in his driveway.

For a lot of us, this goes against what we'd do for our own cars but think about these things...

2. He just spent $5 and 2 minutes to wash his car. How much does it cost you and how long does it take for your car?
3. Maybe it's "just a car" for him. He may move on to something else when the newness wears off on the Camaro.
4. Maybe he's headed to pick up his girlfriend for a date and didn't have time to hand wash it.

Just some thoughts...
Hit the nail on the head with some of those points. I'd love to be able to hand wash my car but I live in an apartment. I have no where to wash my car unless I take it to someone else's house, which is a pain and I don't want to bother people. Its relatively inexpensive for a touchless car wash, and much faster that way. When I have a house and a driveway I'll definitely hand wash when I can, but a touchless car wash isn't out of the question. After I take it somewhere to get washed I bring it right home and wax it when I have time, that is something I will never let someone else do.
UncleBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #38
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
They should have used a brillo pad to clean it

SS, A8, Procharger, M&T's and stuff...
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #39
SSRider

Drives: Black 2SS RS M6
Quote:

Just some thoughts...

Let me add to the list

5. Maybe he lives in the desert (like me) and it is so hot in the summer that the water from the hose dries out before it hits the car.

6. Maybe he lives in the desert where they have water retrictions for the residential communities

I think we would all agree that hand washing is best if you know what you are doing. Someone can do just as much damage to their own car by washing it themselves. After almost five years in the detailing and tunnel wash business I have seen it. If you must use a car wash just check out out the tunnel and ask questions about their process to provide a safe and thorough wash. I have two nearby wasshes that are excellant. I have walked their tunnels. I think car washes get a bad rap from days gone by. When I was a teen in the 70's and worked at my first carwash job I saw some crazy stuff. Wrap around brushes grabbing antenna's and side mirrors beating the heck out of the sides of cars. Mishaps are unusual nowadays.

There is a detailing forum on this site. The person offering advice seems knowledgeable and up to date. You may consider asking him how to spot a great car wash.
SSRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #40
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
I've got no problem with drive through car washes. I know some really nice state of the art car washes that are very good and not ashamed to say mine will probably be seing them often. sooooo........Yeah! lol

Also, a few of the examples above really hit why I can't wash mine by hand that frequently.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #41
chevyss
SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM w/blk stripes A6
I'm lucky to have a very special car wash. I live in a mobile home park and they frown on washing cars here. I've found a hand wash near the house and they do a great job. They also do a quick wax for little of nothing. They even washed it the night I received it for free.
chevyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 PM   #42
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRider View Post

Let me add to the list

5. Maybe he lives in the desert (like me) and it is so hot in the summer that the water from the hose dries out before it hits the car.

6. Maybe he lives in the desert where they have water retrictions for the residential communities

I think we would all agree that hand washing is best if you know what you are doing. Someone can do just as much damage to their own car by washing it themselves. After almost five years in the detailing and tunnel wash business I have seen it. If you must use a car wash just check out out the tunnel and ask questions about their process to provide a safe and thorough wash. I have two nearby wasshes that are excellant. I have walked their tunnels. I think car washes get a bad rap from days gone by. When I was a teen in the 70's and worked at my first carwash job I saw some crazy stuff. Wrap around brushes grabbing antenna's and side mirrors beating the heck out of the sides of cars. Mishaps are unusual nowadays.

There is a detailing forum on this site. The person offering advice seems knowledgeable and up to date. You may consider asking him how to spot a great car wash.
My main concern is the final rinse, just make sure the rinse is filter through a water softener so you don't get those water spots burned into your clear.
"A water softener works by replacing the calcium and magnesium ions with sodium ions. Sodium ions are “soft”. They don’t produce scale and they don’t stain. They change the actual texture of the water, making it feel “slippery”. This causes water to sheet off the vehicle more effectively". Water that remains on the vehicle will not leave spots. I normally play it safe and dry it in the shade if posible or fast.
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote