Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #29
Smoke 'em
There's always a faster 1

Drives: (-,-)
Have you considered a Suzuki GSXR 1000 or are you dead set on Honda? The reason I am asking is because I believe it started in the 2007 model but it came with a 3 step switch, like a, b, and c. However it was setup, 1 setting was supposed to allow you to only achieve the power of a 600, the next was supposed to be comparable to a 750, and then the 3rd one was supposed to allow the full power of the bike. I had been riding for over 15yrs before my accident in June of 2013 and I have ridden many different bikes from dirt bikes, to cruisers, and crotch rockets, as they are so lovingly called sometimes. The bike I had my accident on was a Kawasaki ZX6R. I had it for about 4 yrs. I got a really good deal on it after the bike I had before was stollen. I was actually thinking about getting a 2008 GSXR 1000 that I had come across right before I had my accident. Just be smart, safe, and wear the right gear. Even then, sometimes things happen that you are unable to control. As in my case, I have no clue what went wrong because I don't remember anything about it. All I know is what the guy that hit me told the cops. I always wore a helmet, padded leather jacket, gloves, and boots. I believe that helmet made the difference between between how I would have been living my life afterwards or if I would have even been living. The short list, I had an open fracture to my left femur for which I now have a rod and pins from my hip to my knee, I fractured my pelvis and elbow, cracked my shin halfway down, and broke one of the 8 little bones in my hand. 2 other things to remember, 1) always wear gear that fits properly, and 2) a tank top, shorts, and sandles are not the proper riding gear. I don't care who that statement pisses off because though people may say " I have never had any problems and I have been riding for however long" as true as it may be, there is always that one time, and I guarantee they will be wishing they were wearing more. If they even have that opportunity afterwards. Sorry for the long post. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I just want you to be aware. Even after my accident I would still get back on a bike but my wife asked me not to and I can understand why, so out of respect for her and my kids I chose not to.
Smoke 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #30
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Do yourself a favor and take a rider safety course, get a good helmet and good riding gear, and wear it no matter how hot it is. When I was young I had. Ninja 600R and it was plent y fast, did some stupid stuff on that bike that I would never think of doing again. Been looking to get a Ducati Monster lately
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #31
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I speak from experience, this is between 8 and 9 at Willow. Im at 130 MPH in this pic, this is where i had my last get off, and yeah at 130 MPH. Wear leathers, boots, and gloves every time you ride your bike. I was knocked out from the crash, and broke my collar bone in 2 places, but when i could get up i walked away. This wouldn't of been the case if i were at say 80 MPH on the streets, the safety equipment saves your ASS!!
Ouch! Are you still riding today? I hope they gave you some decent drugs to dull the pain.

This is what I have for gear.

This leather with shoulder, arm, and back armor.

Oakley Assault Boots. I get them for cheap because I'm military.

These are G3 combat pants with knee pads on the outside. I figure if I my knee touches the ground they'll give me some protection. Unless you guys have a different recommendation for me.

Finally Oakley Factory Gloves, carbon fiber in the knuckles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
A 600cc is plenty fast, quick.... whatever you want, it would be plenty.
I'm going back and forth with which bike to choose. Knowing me my mind will be made up the instant I walk in to the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar10 View Post
I wear full leathers pretty much whenever I ride unless I'm doing some sort of cruise like a charity event. Then it is a leather jacket helmet gloves and riding boots, my minimum. Busas aren't all they are cracked up to be, most stock or bolt on 1000 bikes can run as fast or faster than a busa at the same mod level in a straight line. In the curves the bus gets a little bulkyand slows down. But the busas are easier to go beyond bolt-ons and make fast. Man are they comfortable though. Try to find a track day that has coaches in your area and go do that. You'll learn a lot.
Stefano Bimbo who owns Nickey Super Cars is a former pro racer. He can fill me in on some techniques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke 'em View Post
Have you considered a Suzuki GSXR 1000 or are you dead set on Honda? The reason I am asking is because I believe it started in the 2007 model but it came with a 3 step switch, like a, b, and c. However it was setup, 1 setting was supposed to allow you to only achieve the power of a 600, the next was supposed to be comparable to a 750, and then the 3rd one was supposed to allow the full power of the bike. I had been riding for over 15yrs before my accident in June of 2013 and I have ridden many different bikes from dirt bikes, to cruisers, and crotch rockets, as they are so lovingly called sometimes. The bike I had my accident on was a Kawasaki ZX6R. I had it for about 4 yrs. I got a really good deal on it after the bike I had before was stollen. I was actually thinking about getting a 2008 GSXR 1000 that I had come across right before I had my accident. Just be smart, safe, and wear the right gear. Even then, sometimes things happen that you are unable to control. As in my case, I have no clue what went wrong because I don't remember anything about it. All I know is what the guy that hit me told the cops. I always wore a helmet, padded leather jacket, gloves, and boots. I believe that helmet made the difference between between how I would have been living my life afterwards or if I would have even been living. The short list, I had an open fracture to my left femur for which I now have a rod and pins from my hip to my knee, I fractured my pelvis and elbow, cracked my shin halfway down, and broke one of the 8 little bones in my hand. 2 other things to remember, 1) always wear gear that fits properly, and 2) a tank top, shorts, and sandles are not the proper riding gear. I don't care who that statement pisses off because though people may say " I have never had any problems and I have been riding for however long" as true as it may be, there is always that one time, and I guarantee they will be wishing they were wearing more. If they even have that opportunity afterwards. Sorry for the long post. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, I just want you to be aware. Even after my accident I would still get back on a bike but my wife asked me not to and I can understand why, so out of respect for her and my kids I chose not to.
I had a drunk run me over on Labor Day for no reason. Knocked me down and I slide a long way about 40mph. People target bikers. Never caught his plate but the insurance paid me in full.

I'll have a look at those Suzuki's though.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #32
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsafe17 View Post
The 600 has plenty of power to kill you. Get the 1000.. look at how many V6 guys later loose money to up grade to the V8 they always regret not getting the V8 as they drive the V6 and begin to hate it just because it's not the big dog. Get the 1000.
This mentality can get you killed real quick on a 1k . Granted it could kill ya just as fast on the 600 . Usually this comment comes from someone that has never ridden a Motorcycle or at least a sportbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Racer View Post
You are a bad influence my friend.
Truth
1Coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #33
The Black Knight
2013 Black LFX

Drives: '13 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsafe17 View Post
The 600 has plenty of power to kill you. Get the 1000.. look at how many V6 guys later loose money to up grade to the V8 they always regret not getting the V8 as they drive the V6 and begin to hate it just because it's not the big dog. Get the 1000.
This has got to be some of the worst advice I've ever seen someone give another person regarding motorcycles.

Look, I hate to burst your bubble but the differences between a V6 and V8 are negligible when compared to motorcycles, especially 600cc to 1000cc. For one, the acceleration similarities end at about 60mph. Most 600's will equal a 1000 from 0-60(which is normally 2.8 seconds). However, it's the 0-100 and 0-150mph where you'll see the chasm in sheer horsepower performance. Most 600's still manage to get to 100mph in around 7 to 8 seconds. My 03 GSX-R1000 hits 100mph in 5.4 seconds. Eats the 1/4 in 9.8-10.2@ 145-148mph. Most 1000's will achieve their "Speed Limited" top speed of 186mph in less than 30 seconds. These are bone stock 1000's. Not modded bikes, just stock. Most 600's run the 1/4 mile in around 11+ seconds @around 120mph(still nothing to sneeze at). 600's will hit their "gear limited" top speeds of around 157-160mph.

Then there's horsepower and torque. Most stock 600's net around 100hp to wheel and about 40-42lb ft of torque. 1000's anywhere from 150hp(my bike) to 175-180hp(S1000RR, ZX10R, new R1M) and about 75-80lb ft. Double the torque and not quite double the horsepower.

Then there's gearing. Most 1000's will shatter every Speed Limit the USA has(75mph is the highest here in Colorado) in 1st gear. I should know, I've personally gotten mine to do 87mph in first gear. The 2004 Kawsaki ZX10R had a ridiculously tall 1st gear when they came out. Most magazines were hitting 104mph in first gear. Most 600's will do around 60-65mph(my old 2000 ZX6R I had, would do around 60mph in 1st).

OP(Mutant Racer),

My advice man, is get a 600cc. You've got experience with bikes but not bikes of this caliber. Yeah I get it, I hear a lot of people say, "well I've ridden dirt, or I've ridden cruisers for years." That ain't the same thing as buying a race pedigree Sport Bike. These bikes are designed by the manufactures to be bought on the showroom and should the owner be so inclined, be able to take them to a track day(or with a few minimal mods go actual competitive racing).

Also the differences between 600's and 1000's are, 600 = Supersport, 1000 = Superbike. There's a reason 600's aren't in the "Superbike" category. Years ago, the AMA(American Motorcycle Association) used to categorize the bikes in four main categories(Supersport = stock to light mod 600, Superstock = stock to light mod 1000s, Formula Xtreme = highly mod 600's and Superbike = the top of the line parts and mods on 1000's). To this day, World Superbike(WSBK), British Superbike(BSB) and Australian Superbike(ASBK) still use those categories. Unfortunately our lackluster country can't seem to support Road Racing, so the AMA has been in serious decline for several years now. Apparently, if it's not straight line racing or dirt racing it's not 'Murica!

Then there's the top echelon called MotoGP. Prototype bikes that produce 260hp and weight in at 350lbs wet!! These are bikes us mere mortals can never ride.

Look into a 600cc man. I normally would recommend a smaller CC bike, but given you've got experience with motorcycles, you're not completely a green horn. A 600, will give you plenty of speed to get your blood flowing.

Also take it to the track man if you get the chance. It's the one place where you can tap into the potential of these bikes and not get into trouble. A road course is a nice safe and controlled environment. You can ride at your own pace and slowly work your way to faster laps.

Me personally, I've taken my bike off public roads and have now made it strictly for track days. I may not ride as much, but doing one or two track days a month during the riding season is plenty for me. Oh yeah, I've been riding for many years(since 2003 on sportbikes) and I still learn something new each time. I also know how to start slow and work my way up in the lap times. It's all about the ride and having fun. I started on a 600 and worked my way up through an R1, 02 GSX-R1000 and currently a 03 GSX-R1000.

here's me
https://youtu.be/bioRb20-o6k?t=7m12s

Mods: Flowmaster Series 10's axle back, Black ZL1 20X9 wheels(from Factory Reproductions), K&N Typhoon cold air intake, 20% window tint(all sides & back), gun metal hash marks, black outs for Camaro and Chevy badges, Vitesse Throttle Controller

The Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #34
Mutant Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
This mentality can get you killed real quick on a 1k . Granted it could kill ya just as fast on the 600 . Usually this comment comes from someone that has never ridden a Motorcycle or at least a sportbike.
They way I look at it is I won't hide behind my front door because the world is dangerous outside. You can get killed walking your dog if you're not careful.

If I wanted safe I would never have modded my Z to 731hp, or joined the military, or played hockey all my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
This has got to be some of the worst advice I've ever seen someone give another person regarding motorcycles.

Look, I hate to burst your bubble but the differences between a V6 and V8 are negligible when compared to motorcycles, especially 600cc to 1000cc. For one, the acceleration similarities end at about 60mph. Most 600's will equal a 1000 from 0-60(which is normally 2.8 seconds). However, it's the 0-100 and 0-150mph where you'll see the chasm in sheer horsepower performance. Most 600's still manage to get to 100mph in around 7 to 8 seconds. My 03 GSX-R1000 hits 100mph in 5.4 seconds. Eats the 1/4 in 9.8-10.2@ 145-148mph. Most 1000's will achieve their "Speed Limited" top speed of 186mph in less than 30 seconds. These are bone stock 1000's. Not modded bikes, just stock. Most 600's run the 1/4 mile in around 11+ seconds @around 120mph(still nothing to sneeze at). 600's will hit their "gear limited" top speeds of around 157-160mph.

Then there's horsepower and torque. Most stock 600's net around 100hp to wheel and about 40-42lb ft of torque. 1000's anywhere from 150hp(my bike) to 175-180hp(S1000RR, ZX10R, new R1M) and about 75-80lb ft. Double the torque and not quite double the horsepower.

Then there's gearing. Most 1000's will shatter every Speed Limit the USA has(75mph is the highest here in Colorado) in 1st gear. I should know, I've personally gotten mine to do 87mph in first gear. The 2004 Kawsaki ZX10R had a ridiculously tall 1st gear when they came out. Most magazines were hitting 104mph in first gear. Most 600's will do around 60-65mph(my old 2000 ZX6R I had, would do around 60mph in 1st).

OP(Mutant Racer),

My advice man, is get a 600cc. You've got experience with bikes but not bikes of this caliber. Yeah I get it, I hear a lot of people say, "well I've ridden dirt, or I've ridden cruisers for years." That ain't the same thing as buying a race pedigree Sport Bike. These bikes are designed by the manufactures to be bought on the showroom and should the owner be so inclined, be able to take them to a track day(or with a few minimal mods go actual competitive racing).

Also the differences between 600's and 1000's are, 600 = Supersport, 1000 = Superbike. There's a reason 600's aren't in the "Superbike" category. Years ago, the AMA(American Motorcycle Association) used to categorize the bikes in four main categories(Supersport = stock to light mod 600, Superstock = stock to light mod 1000s, Formula Xtreme = highly mod 600's and Superbike = the top of the line parts and mods on 1000's). To this day, World Superbike(WSBK), British Superbike(BSB) and Australian Superbike(ASBK) still use those categories. Unfortunately our lackluster country can't seem to support Road Racing, so the AMA has been in serious decline for several years now. Apparently, if it's not straight line racing or dirt racing it's not 'Murica!

Then there's the top echelon called MotoGP. Prototype bikes that produce 260hp and weight in at 350lbs wet!! These are bikes us mere mortals can never ride.

Look into a 600cc man. I normally would recommend a smaller CC bike, but given you've got experience with motorcycles, you're not completely a green horn. A 600, will give you plenty of speed to get your blood flowing.

Also take it to the track man if you get the chance. It's the one place where you can tap into the potential of these bikes and not get into trouble. A road course is a nice safe and controlled environment. You can ride at your own pace and slowly work your way to faster laps.

Me personally, I've taken my bike off public roads and have now made it strictly for track days. I may not ride as much, but doing one or two track days a month during the riding season is plenty for me. Oh yeah, I've been riding for many years(since 2003 on sportbikes) and I still learn something new each time. I also know how to start slow and work my way up in the lap times. It's all about the ride and having fun. I started on a 600 and worked my way up through an R1, 02 GSX-R1000 and currently a 03 GSX-R1000.

here's me
https://youtu.be/bioRb20-o6k?t=7m12s
I hear ya bro, we'll see how t works out. Love the video!
Old 03-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #35
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Ouch! Are you still riding today? I hope they gave you some decent drugs to dull the pain.

These are G3 combat pants with knee pads on the outside. I figure if I my knee touches the ground they'll give me some protection. Unless you guys have a different recommendation for me.

I'm going back and forth with which bike to choose. Knowing me my mind will be made up the instant I walk in to the showroom.

Stefano Bimbo who owns Nickey Super Cars is a former pro racer. He can fill me in on some techniques.

I had a drunk run me over on Labor Day for no reason. Knocked me down and I slide a long way about 40mph. People target bikers. Never caught his plate but the insurance paid me in full.

You should pick up a Motorcycle helmet instead of the car racing helmet . Much better for ventilation . That helmet looks like it's got to be hot as hell in the middle of summer . I wear a Bell Star and even that gets hot with all the air it flows .

And in all honesty any sport bike is really to much for the street . It's like owning a Lambo or a Ferarri for the street . A sportbike will out accelerate almost anything on the street . And until you've used the brakes on the front of a sport bike you haven't seen anything compared to your cruiser . There isn't a car out there that can stand it's self on it nose with the front brakes . On my 750 I can stand the bike on its front tire with just 2 fingers. The rear brake on a sport bike is used for slow speed maneuvering and adjusting your line in turns sometimes otherwise its useless.
1Coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #36
The Black Knight
2013 Black LFX

Quote:
They way I look at it is I won't hide behind my front door because the world is dangerous outside. You can get killed walking your dog if you're not careful.

If I wanted safe I would never have modded my Z to 731hp, or joined the military, or played hockey all my life.

I hear ya bro, we'll see how t works out. Love the video!
I hear you man, but these 1000's are a whole new level of fast. They get you there in a big hurry.

Mods: Flowmaster Series 10's axle back, Black ZL1 20X9 wheels(from Factory Reproductions), K&N Typhoon cold air intake, 20% window tint(all sides & back), gun metal hash marks, black outs for Camaro and Chevy badges, Vitesse Throttle Controller

Old 03-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #37
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:

I would get gear designed for riding sportbikes. Those boots are not up to par and you should try to avoid laces. A looped lace can easily get hung up on a foot peg/rearset shifter or brake lever. That makes it hard to keep the bike upright at a stop and can make for a pretty embarrassing tip over. Those pants don't look like they will give much abrasion protection. Also regular one pads are a bad idea. They will tear up your bike. If you go down they might not slide correctly and tear up your knee and cause you to roll instead of sliding. You'll want a jacket made for sportbikes leather is best. That Simpson helmet looks like it restricts your field of vision. I've never seen anybody ride with one.

As far as learning from tips from a friend. It's easy for them to forget basic things that they do automatically. There is nothing wrong with going to a riding course I highly encourage you to. It's taught in a way that covers everything properly. Without the courses you can develop bad habits that are hard to break. It's best to learn there instead of trial and error. There isn't very much room for error on a bike.
Stainless Power Longtube headers, off road mids, stock H pipe, flowmaster mufflers, Vararam tune model intake, NightFury cam, and 91 octane email tune from Dynosteve @ rdpmotorsport.com. 473 rwhp and 430 ft. Lbs. @3,235 ft elevation.
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #38
mar10

Drives: 2010 SS RS
After seeing your posts I highly recommend you get a 600. No offense but some people can start out on a 1000 with no issues but it takes the right attitude. You don't have the right attitude. You starting on a 1000 doesn't just put you at risk it puts others on the road at risk also.
Stainless Power Longtube headers, off road mids, stock H pipe, flowmaster mufflers, Vararam tune model intake, NightFury cam, and 91 octane email tune from Dynosteve @ rdpmotorsport.com. 473 rwhp and 430 ft. Lbs. @3,235 ft elevation.
mar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #39
Mutant Racer

Quote:
I would get gear designed for riding sportbikes. Those boots are not up to par and you should try to avoid laces. A looped lace can easily get hung up on a foot peg/rearset shifter or brake lever. That makes it hard to keep the bike upright at a stop and can make for a pretty embarrassing tip over. Those pants don't look like they will give much abrasion protection. Also regular one pads are a bad idea. They will tear up your bike. If you go down they might not slide correctly and tear up your knee and cause you to roll instead of sliding. You'll want a jacket made for sportbikes leather is best. That Simpson helmet looks like it restricts your field of vision. I've never seen anybody ride with one.

As far as learning from tips from a friend. It's easy for them to forget basic things that they do automatically. There is nothing wrong with going to a riding course I highly encourage you to. It's taught in a way that covers everything properly. Without the courses you can develop bad habits that are hard to break. It's best to learn there instead of trial and error. There isn't very much room for error on a bike.
That Simpson is a motorcycle helmet, I have Bell helmets though if it doesn't work out.

Quote:
After seeing your posts I highly recommend you get a 600. No offense but some people can start out on a 1000 with no issues but it takes the right attitude. You don't have the right attitude. You starting on a 1000 doesn't just put you at risk it puts others on the road at risk also.
I respect what you guys are saying. Can you link me to some gear, just a few recommendations. It would be a big help.

The 600 isn't out of the question so who knows where I'll land.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #40
The Black Knight
2013 Black LFX

Check out revzilla.com and search: Alpinstars, Dainese, Joe Rocket, Spidi, AGV, Arai, Shoei, Sidi.

Any one of those brands will bring up suits, boots, gloves and helmets. Along with other accessories

Old 03-23-2015, 11:02 PM   #41
Mutant Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
Check out revzilla.com and search: Alpinstars, Dainese, Joe Rocket, Spidi, AGV, Arai, Shoei, Sidi.

Any one of those brands will bring up suits, boots, gloves and helmets. Along with other accessories
Cool thanks bro!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:18 PM   #42
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
If your concerned about the 600 being slow or low powered, don't be. It's crazy quick. So much so that it takes a lot of control to ride safe. I've been riding a 600rr since '05 and it's MUCH faster and quicker than the SS. I'm 6'0" and 195 and I still have sufficient power to take a passenger out on occasions.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote