Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
wax vs polish

so i've been watching a lot of the adams video's by junkman...great job by the way. very informative and the products do what they say. my only question is how do you decide between using a wax (adams) or a polish like liquid glass?

i've used both and paint always seemed to fade faster with wax and polish also lasted longer by 2-3mo's minimum. not saying my technique in applying either product was correct, after having watched the videos i definitely consider myself schooled and very humbled.

what are your thoughts and opinions...open to suggestions.

thanks
Old 04-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
You apply polish to correct the imperfections in your paint, wax is to protect your paint.

So you wash, use polish, apply wax on top of polish.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Ive always applied Wax over my Polish.

Also Ive been using Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish for two years now and while Im in love with the product Im not convinced its actual polish. I dont think it works as well as a real polish. It gives me the look I want though, the bottle lasts me at least a year, and it goes on and off easy.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Its common to misunderstand the terminology as there are companies out there that incorrectly label their products as one when they're the other or miss the mark entirely.

A polish CORRECTS the finish a wax PROTECTS the finish.

The other thing to understand is you don't "put down a coat of polish" a polish is a product used to essentially remove a microscopic amount of surface material, round off the edges of scratches, and is then removed. When you POLISH there is nothing left behind. There are products out there (Zaino, Turtle Wax, Liquid Glass, Nu Finish, etc) that incorrectly label their products as "POLISH" unless it contains some type of paint correcting abrasive or cleanser it IS NOT a polish.

So in proper detailing you're not choosing between polish OR wax... both serve a purpose in a proper multi step process. You use varying levels of aggressive polishes to correct the finish and bring out the shine. Waxes, glazes, and sealants are then used to protect and enhance that surface.

Steer clear of any product that talks about a "polish" as protecting your finish... that simply misuse of terminology speaks to an overall lack of understanding of what products are used for and I certainly wouldn't trust them on my finish.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #5
gogadgetarms2
-Casey

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Black on Black
Dylan, what about the sealants? I watched your videos and saw your machine super wax is a sealant. Can this be used along with waxes? Specifically, could I use the MSW every six months or so and then keep up the finish by applying wax over the top more often? Or is it an "either or" situation?
gogadgetarms2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
A sealant can be used in place of a wax or in conjunction with wax. No right or wrong... just a matter of preference.

Lets clarify some of the definitions:

Polishes/Compounds - Contain abrasives and/or paint cleansers. Depending on their level of 'cut' or aggressiveness they're used to fix imperfections, restore gloss, or shine things up.

Glazes - Don't offer much, if any protection. In most cases purely a 'beauty' product used to enhance the finish. Also commonly have fillers that will help hide or reduce imperfections by masking them.

Waxes - Naturally occurring ingredients (carnuba) that are either blended with oils and other types of waxes or reinforced with synthetic polymers. Typically you'll see more of the 'deep wet' look from a wax. Protection and durability can vary but even the least protective waxes will give you a solid month of protection. Main drawback is their overall lower melting/evaporation point, but obviously the trade off is an amazing look on the paint.

Sealants - Synthetic chemicals designed to 'bond' with the paint and provide the best protection (on average) dollar for dollar. Sealants typically have a very bright, reflective, glassy look to them. The drawback is they lack that depth and wetness you see from natural waxes.

As far as order of application, you don't have to use all of them, but you can. Of course this is all after polishing. In our line (and most lines for that matter) the order of use is as follows:

(After Polishing/Paint Correction)

1) Sealants
2) Glazes
3) Waxes

Theres a host of issues to explain WHY thats the application order, but I won't get into that. Keep in mind you can use any combination of the products, but they should always maintain that application hierarchy in order to make the most out of each.

So if you weren't going to use a glaze you'd simply go Sealant followed by Wax.

If you weren't going to use a Sealant, then you'd go Glaze followed by Wax.

If you weren't using a wax you'd go Sealant followed by Glaze.

Make sense??
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
sweet, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #8
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Yea what Dylan said..
Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #9
gogadgetarms2
-Casey

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Black on Black
Thanks Dylan! I need the crayon drawing sometimes!
gogadgetarms2 is offline   Reply With Quote