Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #29
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
You guys are crazy. Your car quickly adjusts back to its original settings.

If you want your car to run faster, get some mods and get it tuned by a professional. That will give you real peformance gains that are permanent.
The original settings were BEFORE the low octane fuel slowed them down.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #30
Gen5SSRS

Drives: Black 2010 1SS RS,
I believe the computer could have compensated over time and some hard running, however this reset the parameters so the relearn was instant.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #31
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:

If you want your car to run faster, get some mods and get it tuned by a professional. That will give you real peformance gains that are permanent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5SSRS View Post
I believe the computer could have compensated over time and some hard running, however this reset the parameters so the relearn was instant.
GM has stated that the car will not relearn for higher octane fuel after low octane fuel has been put in the car...

So no, it won't get better and it won't go back as long as you keep high octane fuel in it.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #32
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
GM has stated that the car will not relearn for higher octane fuel after low octane fuel has been put in the car...

So no, it won't get better and it won't go back as long as you keep high octane fuel in it.
That is WEAK. Probably the quickest way to give Camaros a bad name, especially since it's so common for dealers to put low octane fuel in for PDI. The vast majority of camaro owners don't know about this, and will probably continue to tell their friends "it's not all it's cracked up to be". GM should to take action to notify current owners and rectify this problem if they truly want to "reinvent".

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #33
camarossrs2150

Drives: abm2ssrs
all i know is my car relearned how to beat a 645 bmw conv after pulling fuses .that works for me .
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #34
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh0rsep0wer View Post
That is WEAK. Probably the quickest way to give Camaros a bad name, especially since it's so common for dealers to put low octane fuel in for PDI. The vast majority of camaro owners don't know about this, and will probably continue to tell their friends "it's not all it's cracked up to be". GM should to take action to notify current owners and rectify this problem if they truly want to "reinvent".
GM is taking action... This stuff doesn't happen over night. As of now GM has only had 3 TAC cases on this issue.

Part of the blame for ignorace of this problem falls on us for not followng the directions Scott gave us to open TAC cases....

The good news is thanks to the members here GM is now fully aware of the problem and working to get it right...
Old 08-26-2009, 09:48 AM   #35
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Quote:
GM is taking action... This stuff doesn't happen over night. As of now GM has only had 3 TAC cases on this issue.

Part of the blame for ignorace of this problem falls on us for not followng the directions Scott gave us to open TAC cases....

The good news is thanks to the members here GM is now fully aware of the problem and working to get it right...
Ahh...well then I retract my previous statement...I thought they were just going to let it go - I must have read your post wrong. Thanks for clearing this up.

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #36
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh0rsep0wer View Post
Ahh...well then I retract my previous statement...I thought they were just going to let it go - I must have read your post wrong. Thanks for clearing this up.

and I didn't state in my previous post that GM was working it... I was just trying to explain how it works right now. Which is of course wrong. It should be relearning the octane levels.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #37
Gen5SSRS

Drives: Black 2010 1SS RS,
GTAHVIT

and I didn't state in my previous post that GM was working it... I was just trying to explain how it works right now. Which is of course wrong. It should be relearning the octane levels.

My 4th Gen SS was designed to reset the octane check feature when the gas cap was removed(refueling), presumably from tank pressure. Does the 2010 use the same sensor setup? Do you know if the portion of the ECM that senses the octane rating is tied into the "driver learn" portion?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #38
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen5SSRS View Post
GTAHVIT

My 4th Gen SS was designed to reset the octane check feature when the gas cap was removed(refueling), presumably from tank pressure. Does the 2010 use the same sensor setup? Do you know if the portion of the ECM that senses the octane rating is tied into the "driver learn" portion?
That's beyond my knowledge of the system.. I have no idea what triggers the ECM to advance or retard the timing. I always assumed it was the knock sensors that told the ECM to correct for different octane levels....

But I'm not completely sure.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #39
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
I think it would be a mixture of the knock sensor and the fuel level sensor.

Thats what would reset it on 4th gens.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #40
GMRULZ

Drives: 2010 SS & 2008 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr View Post
yes, but why did you pick up 8rwhp? Was it because of colder intake temps, cooler engine, more spark advance from high octane table etc... There could be a million reasons for the increase in power, but if you log the run you will know exactly what is happening with the engine and why you made more power.

Also i could be the variance in the dyno. heck from airing up tires and positioning tires differently on the drum I have seen an 8 hp increase on the dyno.
Well if you actually read the referenced link about my time on the dyno you might not be asking these questions. So I`ll make it real simple.

1.Put Car on Dyno after 1 hour cooldown, first pull 319rwhp....
2. No changes 2 minutes after first pull 2nd pull 319rwhp.....
3. pull fuses, left out around 5 minutes w/ car still on dyno, put back in, 3rd pull 327rwhp....

Now by the third pull it was hotter than the first 2 pulls which both showed the EXACT same number....It never came off the dyno from 1rst to 3rd pull and about 10-15 minutes elapsed from first pull to last...So you tell me what other variables are there other than the fuses were pulled? Hmmm... Maybe worse IAT readings on the final pull might be the only diff. Higher IAT`s normally aren`t good for hp...What does pulling the fuses do? 2 things, resets the LTFT`s and forces the computer to try the high octane table first.

Now in saying that, I beleive that it is very possible the computer will relearn its conservative ways, hopefully not, but it is very possible. In which case a dashawk to reset the LTFT`s at the push of a button would be nice. Or a GM recalibration would be even better. Doesn`t really matter to me since I didn`t have a slow one and I`m getting custom tuned anyways.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
GMRULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #41
GMRULZ

Quote:
That's beyond my knowledge of the system.. I have no idea what triggers the ECM to advance or retard the timing. I always assumed it was the knock sensors that told the ECM to correct for different octane levels....

But I'm not completely sure.
Knock sensors do for sure, if it senses knock it will pull timing and is supposed to slowly add it back in. Also the IAT tells the computer to retard or advance timing depending on the weather conditions to my limited understanding.
2010 SS L99, 536rwhp 10.843@126.72. Whipple Supercharger stock pulley, ARH 1 7/8 longtubes w/ catted xpipe, magnaflow 3" mufflers, ADM Race CAI, 3:70 gears, lightweight wheels and nitto drag radials. Stock internal L99, stock converter.

Bolt on best before blower 12.22@113.29 w/ nothing but ARH headers, catted x-pipe, ADM CAI and a tune on stock Pzero`s!

Other car 2008 C6 Ls3, z51, A6, Npp Exhaust, best bonestock pass 11.80@118.82, Number 2 on the Corvette Forums Bonestock fastest list..
Old 08-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #42
GMRULZ

Quote:

Very possible, I`ve mentioned that it may very likely adjust and be back where it was before the fuse pull a few times. I also agree getting a professional tune should fix the problem for good.