Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-26-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
Diesel Tactical

Drives: 2017 1SS M6 NPP
Less than 900 miles charging system issues (conclusion)

I have a 2015 1SS less than 900 miles and Thursday night the battery light came on and a warning appeared on the info center. (see pic)

Took to dealer today, long story short I'm driving a Malibu right now

Dealer states the ECM is not recognizing the Alternator and thinks it's not charging. Alt failed test, then passed test. Gauge on info center says 13.6V.

Dealer has to call tech support on Monday to help figure this out. I need to read my lemon law paperwork I got when I bought the car. They seem thoroughly stumped.

10/3/15 UPDATE:

So they kept the car for a week. Tech support said to replace ECM, that did not fix it. They replaced the ALT., now light and warning is off, but gauge says only charging at 12.7V which to me is low. Old one was 13.6V.

I also asked them to fill tires, getting warnings on my phone app, they did not do that. Also now with new ECM oil life is 100%, so I said you need to replace the oil to make that correct, that did not happen either. I'm not happy with this whole deal.

Last edited by Diesel Tactical; 10-03-2015 at 10:19 AM. Reason: updated
Diesel Tactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:51 AM   #2
JMT

Drives: 2013 1LT
I had same issue and went right to dealer. They kept it and when I showed up they produce a technical bull item that stated the conditions that it should charge more, all the way to 14.3 v with no problems. No problems experiences but. It was concerning until I verified it was by design. You will however burn out LEDs prematurely if you are running them as they are very sensitive to higher voltage. I went through a few!
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Diesel Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I had same issue and went right to dealer. They kept it and when I showed up they produce a technical bull item that stated the conditions that it should charge more, all the way to 14.3 v with no problems. No problems experiences but. It was concerning until I verified it was by design. You will however burn out LEDs prematurely if you are running them as they are very sensitive to higher voltage. I went through a few!

So did light and warning go off? What did they do to fix it? I will not accept that to remain on, I don't care if they produce a bulletin.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
JMT

Drives: 2013 1LT
I was very skeptical myself as it kept charging at 14.1 and until it went above 14.3 they couldn't do anything. That was 2 years ago and no problems, however I didn't get a service light. If they still refuse you can take your issue to GM rather quickly and get quick results. I had to do this for another issue.
Since you have a light on make them stay on it!
Best of luck
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:43 AM   #5
Diesel Tactical

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I was very skeptical myself as it kept charging at 14.1 and until it went above 14.3 they couldn't do anything. That was 2 years ago and no problems, however I didn't get a service light. If they still refuse you can take your issue to GM rather quickly and get quick results. I had to do this for another issue.
Since you have a light on make them stay on it!
Best of luck

Cool man, will do, thanks