Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #1
Mrpilotman321

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue 2SS
Angry Problems with my 2017 2SS

Hey guys! It's awesome to be apart of this community. I'm not sure if it's been posted before on other threads (forgive me if it has been posted I'm new here) but I've been having some ANNOYING issues with my car. It's at 5390 miles btw!

The first problem is a squeaking noise when the windows are rolled all the way down from 40-60 mph. It drives me crazy. I made sure to eliminate as many variables as I can and conducted multiple tests to find the issue and eliminate it. What I found was -- when I firmly pressed up against the headliner between my seat and the front passenger seat, the noise would go away.

The other issue, funny enough, maybe related to the last. Just realized it when I was typing away... I was getting my car hand washed today when I noticed that my headliner was sagging in the rear. I could see the layers of the headliner hanging down through the car's rear window. As I inspected the car, I noticed that the car's paint had been smudged behind the shark fin antenna. Specifically, the area between the end of the roof panel and the beginning of the car's rear window. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The roof of the car had been scraping against the rear window! WTH! Maybe that's where the weird noises came from.

Final thought and my conclusion to problems as of now: The windows rolled down create an area of high pressure in the cabin which naturally tries to equalize with an area of low pressure. This creates aerodynamic vorticies within the cabin that cause the flimsy roof to vibrate up and down. The roof being displaced by the vibrations scrub against the rear window and high speeds.
Attached Images

Mrpilotman321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Is the headliner what I’m seeing in the pic sagging in the window? This could cause the noises your hearing. I’ve read about the headliner not being cut right, but it unacceptable to see it sagging in the rear window. Not what I’d expect from a $40k+ car.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
ride98red

Drives: 2017 Summit White Chevy Camaro 2SS
you have a camera with a suction cup? I'd stick it on the back window, aimed at the rub spot, and take her down the road. I can't believe that is happening. wow.

you have a sunroof? other owners on here have had their headliner fixed under warranty.
ride98red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #4
midlifecrisis2

Drives: 1lt v6
I had the similar issue with headliner noise windows down at speeds as low as 52 mph ..........Lifelong GM guy but I traded the car sad to say but engineering is subpar on 6th gen.......... 5th gen engineering and Canadian manufacturing far superior in my opinion
midlifecrisis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
There's no way the roof would be flimsy enough to rub against the rear glass like that. The rear glass is bonded to a structural opening in the body back there.

I think what you are seeing is either left over wax or buffing compound or residual glue from the white vinyl paper they use to protect the paint when they ship the cars.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
Stories like this are quite depressing. There is more and more evidence that GM has dropped the ball on quality control.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
yea the headliner failure seems to be a common one. Dealer should fix it no questions asked. As for the smudges, you have a logical explanation, but I dont think the rear glass could make contact with that part of the roof without breaking the seal. Must be some sort of wax/residue. See if it comes up with a claybar.

I suppose its also possible that the paint could be damaged in that region if the glass was ever replaced, or when it was initially installed. Maybe you just havent noticed it until now.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
The smudge marks wouldn't have happened when the rear glass was initially installed. Robots install the glass at the factory.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 10:21 PM   #9
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
The smudge marks wouldn't have happened when the rear glass was initially installed. Robots install the glass at the factory.
In that case, the glass could have been damaged and replaced before initial sale. My money is still on residue, hit it with a claybar OP.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:58 PM   #10
jaysonstuart

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Yeah that looks like wax or some sort of compound on the back seam. Get a microfiber towel and see if it rubs off.
jaysonstuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:09 AM   #11
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
It appears to me that in their quest to lighten the sixth gen camaro there is too much flimsiness...I am keeping my rock solid 5th gen ZL1....
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
There's no way the roof would be flimsy enough to rub against the rear glass like that. The rear glass is bonded to a structural opening in the body back there.

I think what you are seeing is either left over wax or buffing compound or residual glue from the white vinyl paper they use to protect the paint when they ship the cars.
+1, do not think that is from rubbing either
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
midlifecrisis2

Drives: 1lt v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedX2 View Post
It appears to me that in their quest to lighten the sixth gen camaro there is too much flimsiness...I am keeping my rock solid 5th gen ZL1....
Yup exactly I owned a 2014 and 2017 ...You can tell the car is lighter and faster but that weight savings and speed came at the price of strength and quality..........just a wee bit more time should have been spent research and development before trying to out do the mustang
midlifecrisis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:00 PM   #14
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis2 View Post
Yup exactly I owned a 2014 and 2017 ...You can tell the car is lighter and faster but that weight savings and speed came at the price of strength and quality..........just a wee bit more time should have been spent research and development before trying to out do the mustang
I thought all the torsional and bending stiffness #s were up significantly on the 6th gen (compared to 5th).

With that said, when you close the trunk (ie. when there's an abrupt change in cabin pressure), watch the center section of the roof sheet metal and you can see it move a little.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headliner, issues, noise, roof, vibrations