Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
The term is "Ultra-Grin".....

Spent a good portion of the day yesterday at the Milford Proving Ground with a couple of our ZL1 Engineers.........

........and I'm just stunned at the capability of this, our newest Camaro.

Suffice it to say that a lot of people may be eating their words when this car hits the streets......

.....and now that we've made the announcement about the Automatic Transmission -I can safely say this: Many people who were considering the Manual Transmission may want to rethink their decision. I'm a 6-speed manual kinda guy - and I've changed my thinking when it comes to the ZL1...

Quick amusing story -

.......the chassis development team were at "a track" - sharing it with "another car" -- at the end of the day, members of the team from "The other car" asked our engineers when the truck would be there to pick up the ZL1s........

.........our engineers simply removed the racing seats from the Zs -- put 'em in a suburban - and put the stock seats back in the Zs -- and off they drove into the sunset - after a full-day of development work.....

"The other car team" was stunned...........

Old 06-18-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
its a syn
B.O.D. 02/16/10

Drives: 2010 SGM Sp. Edition 2017 RS Conver
gonna need buckets,lots of buckets!!
Old 06-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Damn Fbodfather you're not making this wait any easier by telling us how much more freaking awesome this car is going to be. At least you are giving us information though and for that I thank you!
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Vic'sCamaro

Drives: Viper GTS, 680hp, Mustang GT
Great testimony to the heartiness of the ZL1!

I'm looking forward to the performance #'s, 0-60, 1/4 miles, skidpad, Nurburgring? Hope they are forthcoming soon.
Vic'sCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:37 AM   #5
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

.....and now that we've made the announcement about the Automatic Transmission -I can safely say this: Many people who were considering the Manual Transmission may want to rethink their decision. I'm a 6-speed manual kinda guy - and I've changed my thinking when it comes to the ZL1..:
Scott, can you please elaborate as to why YOU would choose the automatic over the manual. I am still leaning towards buying mine as a manual but you have spent so much time in a ZL1, I would like your perspective why you would choose the auto over the stick without giving away any trade secrets. Thanks

Last edited by OldJedi; 06-19-2011 at 09:23 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
I too would like an explanation as to why you would consider and auto over a manual. I own a manual 06 GTO and my dad owns an auto 06 GTO. We are both bone stock down to the ac delco air filters and my car is 2 tenths faster. I have taken both of them down the track many times and the best I can squeeze out of the auto is a 12.8 and the manual a 12.6. I know the auto 06 GTO just has a 4 speed auto versus the ZL1 most likely having a 6L90E, but as is the case with most manual's, they tend to transfer just a little more power to the rear wheels than a auto. So, I too am curious as to why an auto over a manual?
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I absolutely LOVE your posts...why must you toy with our emotions all the time?

And as I wait PATIENTLY for my car to be done...you hit me with ULTRA GRIN and now I have the buyers remorse.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Scott, can you please elaborate as to why YOU would choose the automatic over the manual. I am still leaning towards buying mine as a manual but you have spent so much time in a ZL1, I would like your perspective why you would choose the auto over the stick without giving away any trade secrets. Thanks

Sorry about the double post guys, Mods you can delete the the above post.

Let me say this - have I led you wrong yet???

Of course I can tell you why.............

But then there are these:

All in due time, my friend......all in due time.........

But Trust me -

ULTRA-GRIN..........
Old 06-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Hmm, wonder if that "other team" would happen to be the "Shelby team" at the 'ring?
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
MG

Drives: 2011 Camaro
The auto in the CTS-V has been criticized for not being able to keep up with the LSA.

I'm guessing the ZL1 would have an improved version?

Or maybe we are in for a surprise hmmmmm.......
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
Well, Thank you Scott! every little bit of info helps. It was awesome to meet you in person last weekend, no matter how busy you were you still took a minute of your time to speak to my wife and I (future ZL1 owners). I think I speak for us all when I say thank you for everything you do and your a true inspiration to us all!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
Z_Rocks

Drives: everyone crazy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........our engineers simply removed the racing seats from the Zs -- put 'em in a suburban - and put the stock seats back in the Zs -- and off they drove into the sunset - after a full-day of development work.....
Hey Scott, speaking of seats, are you going to offer Recaro seats as option?
Z_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Nice teaser! And only Fbodfather can make me seriously consider an auto with his comments. As much as I would like to be faster in an auto, I don't know if I can bring myself to do it. Hmmm....
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
The choice is no easier after those comments

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote