Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 03-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
jammer174
Luke 14:23

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Send a message via ICQ to jammer174
Pic's of Aftermarket Shift Knob on Stock shifter stalk

Barton Industries has some great shift knobs that will fit the stock shifter on the 2010 Camaro and I have one ordered from them for myself. In my opinion, they have some of the best shifter knobs on the market and I would recommend them to anyone who is considering a shift knob. Anyhow, I had a Hurst pistol grip knob in my garage and thought I would tinker with it and see if I could make it fit my stock shifter until my other knob comes in from Barton Industries. I wish I would have taken some pic's along the way, but my instructions are straight forward and should be simple to understand. Here is how I did it.

1. Remove the stock shift ball by applying straight upward pressure, lifting the ball from the stalk. Remember, it does not screw off, it lifts off.

2. Your hurst shifter should come with several adapters to mount the knob on a threaded shifter, but since your shifter isn't threaded you won't be using any of the adapters or other hardware.

3. Put the Hurst shifter knob on the shifter stalk and with a fine tip magic marker measure where you will drill and tap a hole in the back of the shifter knob near the bottom to secure your shifter knob to the shifter stalk.

4. Remove the Hurst shifter knob.

5. Drill and tap the knob where you marked it. The aluminum knob is easy to drill and tap, but you have to be careful when you tap it (thread it) because it's easy to mess up the threading process due to aluminum being much softer than steel or other hard metals. Initially, I was going to use a small set screw, but after considering the possibility of racking the gears with firm pressure in a race or competition I decided to go with a much larger screw. It may not be as hidden and discreet as a small set screw, but at least I know it is secure and won't be falling off in my hand when I'm shifting! You will notice from my pictures that the large screw protrudes from the back of the knob and this is only temporary for me. I will be removing it later to countersink the hole so the screw will be flush with the knob and will be using a flat head screw instead of the round head screw you see in the picture so that it will be completely smooth and flush in the back of the knob and will look much better cosmetically. If you decide to use a small set screw, I would recommend adding two or possibly even three of them just to make sure the knob will hold tight. Also, I used thread lock on my screw to make sure it doesn't back out and I recommend that you do the same.

6. The bottom of the stock shifter knob is contoured to match up with the chrome plastic housing on top of the shifter boot, but the bottom of the Hurst shifter knob obviously will not match up perfectly...it's close, but not perfect. Addtionally, as opposed to the stock shifter knob, there is nothing on the bottom of the Hurst shifter knob to connect it to the shifter boot to hold them both together so here's what you have to do....

7. You will need a rubber gasket to slide down over the shifter stalk that will hold the shifter boot up to the bottom of the Hurst shifter knob. The diameter of the shifter stalk is .558 so you will need a gasket that is slightly smaller in diameter to ensure that the gasket will hold snug to the shifter stalk. Here's what I did. I went to Wally World and purchased a rubber golf club replacement grip. You can find them in the Sports section. It's just a rubber grip that you would slide on your golf club to replace the old rubber grip. The grip is hollow which makes it perfect for sliding over the shifter stalk. Now it's time to cut off a section. The thickness of the rubber gets larger as you go from the bottom to the top of the grip. If you cut off a section closer to the top of the grip it will be too thick to slide over your shifter stalk. I cut off a section near the lower half of the grip and it worked fine. Cut off a section about 4 inches long and slide it on the shifter stalk (it should be a very tight fight so that it won't move over time as you change gears).

8. Slide the Hurst shifter knob down onto the shifter stalk and then adjust the rubber gasket until the top of the rubber gasket meets flush with the bottom of the shifter knob.

9. Apply lock tight to your set screw(s) and then tighten screw until the Hurst shifter knob is securely fastened on the shifter stalk.

10. Pull the shifter boot up and over the rubber gasket until the top of the shifter boot rests flat upon the bottom of the Hurst shifter knob. You may have to use firm pressure as you twist and pull the shifter boot up, but this is good because you want a tight fit.

11. This is the final and most important step, so pay close attention. Start your car, pull onto the road and enjoy your new Hurst shifter knob!

The whole install from start to finish should only take about an hour. It doesn't look like a factory installation, but it was good enough for me!
Attached Images

Last edited by jammer174; 03-03-2010 at 08:16 PM.
jammer174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
rightnwrong

Drives: blue
Nice inside of the car! How about the outside body of the car?
rightnwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
that looks awesome
Old 12-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #4
jammer174
Luke 14:23

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Send a message via ICQ to jammer174
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnwrong View Post
Nice inside of the car! How about the outside body of the car?
I have plenty of pictures under my Pictures and Albums folder.