Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Aalqebaiti

Drives: LS3 bolt-ons
Need advice

Recently I bought custom cam 228/240
LSA 113 For my LS3 camaro , I just want to know should I change my lifters and what pushrods size , I've heard 7.4 is good for someone who didn't change heads etc... also I'm thinking to buy oil pump Melling brand high volume (96).
Need some advice what I should do also and what are the things I shoud buy it?
Aalqebaiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:17 PM   #2
sinisterlsx510

Drives: 14 ss camaro summit white
As far as lifters.. i would spend the extra 100 bucks for new ls7 lifters .. cheap insurance..as far as pushrods its always good to get a length checker as to everyones set up is different.. get the rocker triunion upgrade..

2019 sierra duramax 2500 all terrain x

2001 trans am
Lsx 408 ci rebuild in progress(dead project)

1967 camaro
Sbc 327.
sinisterlsx510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:16 AM   #3
Aalqebaiti

Thanks bro
Old 09-25-2017, 07:15 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
If your using a cam on a engine with more than a few miles you might want to change out the lifters, and the Baskets which hold them needed also along with the head gasket and the TTY bolts...not so cheap all together, and if going Forced Induction in the future the few extra bucks for a ls9 head gasket would help....and yes pushrods need to be measured yet the shop selling the cam usually knows the right size.... hopefully. And if your not good at high level of difficulty install and have a lot of tools you will use some you most likely don't have you may want to have it installed. And BTW the thread pitch of the threads on the bolts equals .047 for one turn, one turn equals .077 in movement as the rocker is 1.7 ratio 1.7 times .047 = .077 more preload than even the ls7 calls for so most are 1/2- 3/4 turn area for preload on the stock lifters to be in the .040-.060 area for less Typewriter sound..... And so much more..........You should read about 1000 cam install threads.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Awesome information, Christian.....just leaves me out of breath after I read it!
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Aalqebaiti

Thanks Christian for awesome information
Old 09-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
Awesome information, Christian.....just leaves me out of breath after I read it!
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
cliff notes...buy a Comp Cams pushrod length checker. It comes with directions. Use the right tool for the job, not guesstimating rocker bolt turns.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Many with lower mile engines just go with the stock front ,( chain and tensioner); stock pump as I did on my first build..,a stock ls3 dampener even though they are more trouble prone than a ls2/7 style dogbone is the low cost way; as to remove the chain tensioner you have to drop the pan on a ls3 and the chain ;and many have squeezed pumps in with luck setting up the pickup tube and its O ring and some have had trouble doing it, my Tuner drops the front cradle to do a pump and does not want to bend over...its a area of mixed success for people on here over time as some have not tightened the pickup tube enough or ruined the o ring installing in such a tight space, and ran the engine with crap oil pressure. Just so you know. The preferred upgrades are a C5r corvette racing timing chain ..ours stock are single roller BTW, a ls2 or 7 style dogbone dampener and mostly a high volume pump not so much the high pressure...

I use BR30 driven racing oil for a 20-30 minute break in even with having a roller I know I am obsessive but hey I do it with a 8620 core or the regular core I used to run before they made the 8620. I know people say hey you don't have too, yet your spring pressures are not what the car stock handles and your pushing the limit more with springs with a limited life of about 25k if your lifts higher than stock range which is astronomical for a flat tappet hydraulic cam.

Many opt to do the pump though as the LS3 dampener as I said can grenade being that its design makes the chain run along a plastic bow and its been shown to collect the bits in the oil pan by the pick up screen, and install the dogbone which is more of a slack blocker for the chain rather than a constant contact piece of plastic taking up slack, and of course your going to get a three bolt cam with the need for the tree bolt gear with the cam, places like TSP offer kits with the three ; cam , pushrods, and springs for a good price as do others. I upgraded my trunnions with comp cams kit; but plan on doing bushings for the trunnions as others have when I have to change springs as even the comps fail with their roller bearings as in stock falling out if the snap rings break or lack of lube. I believe in protecting my engine and use a FULL Synth oil I buy through Baxter autoparts here LS30 made for modified LS engines and its 5w-30 the correct grade for the way our oiling systems are designed. Anyway the c5r chain is a simple roller but has never broke in corvette racing. good luck, don forget a 160 degree thermostat, and some NGK tr6ix plugs, or stock plugs. If you don't have headers or a good CAI you may want them also as a custom tune with the right AFR and options picked such as limiting severely the torque management is needed and best on a dyno.

Last edited by christianchevell; 09-25-2017 at 07:17 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote