Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: ZL1 or GT500, Which one would you get?
ZL1 5 35.71%
GT500 9 64.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #2045
SVT Murrocket
Banned

Drives: SHELBY GT 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
the shelby has ran 12's in the wrong hands. But a quick search for the ZL1 side and youll find that one vid with the guy running mid 13's in the zl1.
Yep. The track was cold as well. Gotta throw those out.

I personally ran 11.19 and 13.98 on the same night! Wish I could blame it on the track - it was all driver error - and traction control in the ON position. Car fell FLAT on ts face off the line. I looked like a TOTAL SQUID! LOL!
SVT Murrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #2046
Barracuda
Banned

Drives: '71 'Cuda, '87 GN, '13 Shelby GT500
Quote:
what do they (sae certifiers) say about the overrev feature on the GT500? and how does that affect the ratings?? links?
is it at all possible the 662hp rating is at the designated "redline" and the "overrev" rpm range isnt part of the sae certification since its technically limited?? sources please.
The "overrev" doesn't come into play in the certification at all. The engine is certified on an engine dyno. It makes what it makes. As long as the engine can operate at that engine speed in-vehicle, the manufacture can advertise it. In the case of the GT500, it makes peak power at 6500 RPM. The fact that it can run at, and be shifted beyond, that point makes the advertising legitimate.

NOTE: When I say it doesn't come into play at all, what I mean is it doesn't limit what can be advertised. It obviously comes into play in allowing the vehicle to operate at and above the engines peak power point.
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #2047
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT Murrocket View Post
Yep. The track was cold as well. Gotta throw those out.
Don't forget dusty too...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #2048
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
say what you want, but 600+ of those horses are consistently finding their way to the rear wheels which is about 100rwhp more than the 580hp zl1

since youre so versed in sae ratings, what do they (sae certifiers) say about the overrev feature on the GT500? and how does that affect the ratings?? links?
is it at all possible the 662hp rating is at the designated "redline" and the "overrev" rpm range isnt part of the sae certification since its technically limited?? sources please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post
The "overrev" doesn't come into play in the certification at all. The engine is certified on an engine dyno. It makes what it makes. As long as the engine can operate at that engine speed in-vehicle, the manufacture can advertise it. In the case of the GT500, it makes peak power at 6500 RPM. The fact that it can run at, and be shifted beyond, that point makes the advertising legitimate.

NOTE: When I say it doesn't come into play at all, what I mean is it doesn't limit what can be advertised. It obviously comes into play in allowing the vehicle to operate at and above the engines peak power point.
Well, if Automobile magazine has it right, the 662hp rating is WITH the over rev feature. From the article:

"Seven grand from a huge stroker of an V-8 means piston speeds approaching those of a NASCAR engine, so all of the rotating masses are forged for lightness. And strength: at maximum load, the supercharger takes some 150 hp to run, so the engine block is actually supporting more than 800 horsepower. The high revs and enormous power output come with a corresponding buildup of heat, and for that reason the GT500's engine can be revved past 6250 rpm for only eight seconds at a time. Each second spent over 6250 rpm must be redeemed with a second under 6000. If the full eight seconds are used up, the engine computer will lock out the overrev function until the engine has been under six grand for fifteen seconds and has ventured once under 5000 rpm.
Since the 662-hp rating occurs within this overrev band, you can technically have all 662 hp only for eight seconds at time. That would be a problem except that the only gear in which you'd be able to exceed 6250 rpm for more than eight seconds would be fourth while going uphill -- as you approach the shift point into fifth at 173 mph. The GT500's top speed is reached in fifth just below the 6250-rpm limit. In other words, the eight-second limit is irrelevant."

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...#ixzz1vvT8aDlM
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #2049
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda View Post

cool, i see. Well hp at the wheels is way more important than flywheel since thats what the tires see. 600rwhp+ is an awesome number
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #2050
MauriSSio
Banned

Drives: 1968 Ford Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
..."Seven grand from a huge stroker of an V-8 means piston speeds approaching those of a NASCAR engine, so all of the rotating masses are forged for lightness.
huge stroker of a v8??? wow they sure know how to embellish things over there. Its only a 5.8L engine. even the 7.0 LS7 is only barely mid sized by todays stroker engine standards.
MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #2051
SIRLOIN
Banned

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
huge stroker of a v8??? wow they sure know how to embellish things over there. Its only a 5.8L engine. even the 7.0 LS7 is only barely mid sized by todays stroker engine standards.
Thought that was funny as well...
SIRLOIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #2052
Barracuda
Banned

Drives: '71 'Cuda, '87 GN, '13 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
Well, if Automobile magazine has it right, the 662hp rating is WITH the over rev feature. From the article:

"Seven grand from a huge stroker of an V-8 means piston speeds approaching those of a NASCAR engine, so all of the rotating masses are forged for lightness. And strength: at maximum load, the supercharger takes some 150 hp to run, so the engine block is actually supporting more than 800 horsepower. The high revs and enormous power output come with a corresponding buildup of heat, and for that reason the GT500's engine can be revved past 6250 rpm for only eight seconds at a time. Each second spent over 6250 rpm must be redeemed with a second under 6000. If the full eight seconds are used up, the engine computer will lock out the overrev function until the engine has been under six grand for fifteen seconds and has ventured once under 5000 rpm.
Since the 662-hp rating occurs within this overrev band, you can technically have all 662 hp only for eight seconds at time. That would be a problem except that the only gear in which you'd be able to exceed 6250 rpm for more than eight seconds would be fourth while going uphill -- as you approach the shift point into fifth at 173 mph. The GT500's top speed is reached in fifth just below the 6250-rpm limit. In other words, the eight-second limit is irrelevant."

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...#ixzz1vvT8aDlM
Exactly!
Barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #2053
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
As fenderaddict was a fan of Cougars, back in the day, the CTS-V is kinda the "Cougar XR7" to the Camaro's "Base Stang", a comparison our Ford friends can hopefully acknowledge...

Nice to have choices...and we now have several...
True actually. Might explain the pull the Caddy Coupe has on me.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #2054
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I have an Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul for sale. Mint condition if you're interested.
Funny. I've actually owned a bunch of Les Paul's. Great sounding but I always end up selling em for something else. Still have an '03 R9 though. Les Paul's are like Camaros. Look great, perform well but are too heavy. LOL.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #2055
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger1982 View Post

Anyone notice the ZL1 @ 1:15 in the background? Why have these cars not been tested against each other?? They can get a Bugatti and a Aventador together but they can't get a Mustang and Camaro
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #2056
2ndCamaro79

Just to lighten things up

Old 05-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #2057
2ndCamaro79

Neat piece on Shelby and the GT500

Old 05-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #2058
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
Anyone notice the ZL1 @ 1:15 in the background? Why have these cars not been tested against each other?? They can get a Bugatti and a Aventador together but they can't get a Mustang and Camaro
Lol good point!
I fail,,,I loose,,,I will admit ,,I will not deny. Your mustang is unquestionably the best and fastest thing on god given earth. ,,,,,,please,it hurts me when you say the deny and fail thing. ONE MORE TIME,,,,I HAVE FAILED,,,,,I DRIVE A BIG FAT SLOW LS3 CAMARO THAT WILL NEVER,NEVER,NEVER IN ANY WAY OUT RUN A MUSTANG. AND MY CAMARO IS VERY UGLY !! YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND FORTUNATE TO HAVE THAT COYOTE.
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote