Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
old motorhead

Drives: Maggie blown LS3 vette
What are your goals? Do you want big boost or big power? They're not the same. If you're after big boost, leave the exhaust alone. A free flowing exhaust with effecient LT headers would get in the way of big boost. Not sure why anyone would want that, but everyone's tractor is cranked a little differently. To each his own.

If, however, you're after big power and don't really care what the boost guage says, LT's and free flowing exhaust are essential. Boost does not = power. It's simply a measure of restriction of air through the motor. Plain and simple.

LT headers won't help a bit if you have a restrictive exhaust system behind them. I would imagine that's why some of the high dollar installers say that LT's don't help. They won't or can't mess with the stock exhaust system behind the headers. Probably voids a warranty.

I'd bet that adding long tubes and exhaust upgrades will make more power on a blown LS3/L99's 100% of the time if done correctly. The boost WILL go down. That's good! Means your engine if more effecient than before. Less restriction. It allows timing increases if you don't pulley down to get the boost back up to where it was. Either way.....more timing or more boost will make more power. If anyone argues that point, they might not understand how these things work.

As an example, my TVS2300 blown LS3 vette is north of 650rwhp on a measley 8.5psi. It has a 2.9" pulley on the blower, healthy blower cam, and a very free flowing exhaust. If you put that same pulley on a stock LS3, because of increased restriction in the motor, boost would be well over 12 psi, timing would have to be pulled, and power would be way down.

It just comes down to where you want to be power wise. You can leave the exhaust alone and make way more than you had pre TVS. If you want more, it's easier on the engine if you do the things it takes to make it breathe better.

Last edited by old motorhead; 09-13-2009 at 10:46 AM.
old motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #16
rharon

Drives: 2010 Yellow 2SS/RS
I haven't dyno'd it yet. I am going with a smaller pulley and then I am going to have it tuned.....pretty much done after that.....
Old 09-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #17
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post
They include their CAI in the 570 package - it is actually the RotoFab CAI with a modified tube for the maggie. I didn't go with a headers but I did do the Borla cat-back exhaust and it sounds perfect. It has a very deep rumble which is not loud and annoying.
Which part number did you purchase from Borla? Want to take a listen to the tone if I can find one with the Magnuson installed.

Motorhead..My goals? Well, I do not plan on tearing up the track but I want a Camaro that handles awesome, sounds great and has respectable power.

Maybe track once in awhile. I have a close friend who works for Roush and my GF is an exec. asst. there. I have free access to their track when open. I would like to really enjoy it when I need it, whenever and wherever.

I planned on listening to what Lingenfelter recommends, but we ALWAYS know the $11k initial pricetag always increases with the little stuff..

How much did you guys go over the $11k pricetag and what did you get (engine components aside)
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
old motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Which part number did you purchase from Borla? Want to take a listen to the tone if I can find one with the Magnuson installed.

Motorhead..My goals? Well, I do not plan on tearing up the track but I want a Camaro that handles awesome, sounds great and has respectable power.

Maybe track once in awhile. I have a close friend who works for Roush and my GF is an exec. asst. there. I have free access to their track when open. I would like to really enjoy it when I need it, whenever and wherever.

I planned on listening to what Lingenfelter recommends, but we ALWAYS know the $11k initial pricetag always increases with the little stuff..

How much did you guys go over the $11k pricetag and what did you get (engine components aside)
Just beware that mufflers that sound semi civilized behind a stock motor will be noticably louder with higher hp and less restrictions up stream. It never shuts up. Can get old quick.

For $11K, you sure better get more than just a blower, install, and tune. The kit from Magnuson should come with everything you need for under $7K. Installing a TVS kit from Magnuson isn't rocket science. The parts and install on my vette was $11k, but that included a new hood and paint , new blower cam, new crank pulley, boost guage, wide band AFR guage, and vacuum guage. If you think you need to spend the extra jack with LPE to feel comfortable, by all means, do it. If you know a good shop in your area, it's totally unnecessary.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #19
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Just beware that mufflers that sound semi civilized behind a stock motor will be noticably louder with higher hp and less restrictions up stream. It never shuts up. Can get old quick.

For $11K, you sure better get more than just a blower, install, and tune. The kit from Magnuson should come with everything you need for under $7K. Installing a TVS kit from Magnuson isn't rocket science. The parts and install on my vette was $11k, but that included a new hood and paint , new blower cam, new crank pulley, boost guage, wide band AFR guage, and vacuum guage. If you think you need to spend the extra jack with LPE to feel comfortable, by all means, do it. If you know a good shop in your area, it's totally unnecessary.
The Borla S Type cat back on my car sound awesome. Definately know it is not stock but not annoyingly loud. Let me find my video from in the car on acceleration. I will post it up later.

Here is what LPE gives with the 570 package.

Package includes:
- TVS2300 intercooled supercharger system
- Black powder coated finish
- Based on OEM Eaton supercharger unit
- Properly sized fuel injectors
- Fuel system upgrades
- 160 Degree thermostat
- Boost bypass controller
- Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump fuel pump voltage booster
- Lingenfelter High Flow Air Intake
- Professional installation, testing and calibration
- Chassis dyno report before & after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter fender badges
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity

The warranty covers the engine as well. They have a base kit that is just the supercharger & install. The warranty for me was a big thing - just in case something did go wrong with the motor.

Your corvette sounds like it is a beast
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:30 PM   #20
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Here is the accelration video that I have. There are a few videos from others that have it on their stock cars and it doesn't sound much different, if at all. I watched a lot of videos with the Borla S type on Corvettes before I decided on it.

Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #21
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
I LOVE MY MAGGIE!!!!

oops...sorry...I can't help myself.

The stock exhaust on the GTO is high flow already...my car is totally stock except for the Magnuson blower...IT SCREAMS
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #22
old motorhead

Wm....haven't you been dead for a decade or two. Nice looking ride though!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #23
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by old motorhead View Post
Wm....haven't you been dead for a decade or two. Nice looking ride though!
Not according to my MOM!! LOL!!

Thanks!
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 AM   #24
slapshot13

Drives: black
I just picked up my loperspeed camaro from arizona. It has Magnuson 2300 supercharger with B&B longtubes and full 3"stainless exhaust with computer being reprogrammed and tuned.. Eibach lowing kit and dyno showed 582 rear wheel H.P. and 770 HP to the flywheel. Check out my pics on slapshot13 s garage this is one mean fast car. They siad never to tune this motor to exceed 600 rwhp and that is right from the vp of general motors
slapshot13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #25
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post

I have the 570 kit from LPE.

My extra's were ported and polished intake and Throttle body, and port matched blower manifold.
I added the Borla "S" exhaust (same as Speed74SS) and LPE installed the MTI shifter.

The 570 kit is complete. CAI, tune, crank pinning, pulleys, belts are included. You really don't need to add anything else engine wise.. LPE takes there time on the tunes so it comes out perfect!

If you are a standard trans, you will want to opt for a HP clutch. The stock one won't last...

People are adding suspension, shifters, cat back exhaust, wheels/tires.

The 570 kit on my car makes 526 RWHP (630 flywheel).

Worth every penny I spent...
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #26
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot13 View Post
dyno showed 582 rear wheel H.P. and 770 HP to the flywheel. They siad never to tune this motor to exceed 600 rwhp and that is right from the vp of general motors
What? I think you are off by 100 flywheel HP - you are not losing almost 200hp in your drivetrain - for an M6 you should factor about 15% loss and A6 about 17-20%.

As well, there are huge amounts of people running well over 600rwhp safely - I think that your tuner has provided you with some bogus information.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #27
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
What? I think you are off by 100 flywheel HP - you are not losing almost 200hp in your drivetrain - for an M6 you should factor about 15% loss and A6 about 17-20%.

As well, there are huge amounts of people running well over 600rwhp safely - I think that your tuner has provided you with some bogus information.

Um... they (GM exec's) were probably saying with the 'stock' lower end.

700+ Flywheel HP on Cast pistons is asking for trouble.. Doesn't mean it doesn't work... it just won't be reliable, especially if you are racing it. Start hot lapping and the engine probably won't like it.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #28
barrylnv

Drives: 2010 2SS IMB LS3/M6
I've had the drivetrain loss conversation with LPE and another builder. Both confirmed what the math says. On a DynoJet, you figure about 13% for the M6 and 19-20% for the A6.

For example, Ted Jannetty and many others on here will tell you the long term average of all the LS3/M6 they have dyno'd will run 370-375 RWHP on 93 octane. If you figure the stock really is 426, that's only 12-13% loss. I think most are confirming the stock LS3 is a bit stronger than 426, so safely figure 13%. If your car is 582 RWHP, that is closer to 669 BHP (13%) than it is to 685 (15%) or the 770 BHP number stated above. Maybe that was a typo and 670 was what they meant - that is about right on.
ZR1 Clutch / LPE Flywheel
LPE IBM Coil Covers
Thorley Shorty Headers
Borla 140280 Cat-back
ADM Boost Gauge
MTI Shifter
Hotchkis Sway Bars
LPE Floor Mats
SRP Heel-Toe Pedals
barrylnv is offline   Reply With Quote