Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-30-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
Asylum
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Black on Black Manual 6
Long Tube Headers, 02 Simulator ect..

The Long Tube Header Package.
-----------------------------------
Header Package, 1-3/4" Long Tube 2010 V8 Camaro w/Installation Kit/High-Flow Cats/PowerFlo-X Crossover Pipe Assembly
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=30213

?? The Question ??
Since tuning the vehicle will result in a complete loss of warranty I am trying to choose mods that wont ruin my entire vehicles warranty. This means that tuning the car is simply out of the question for the next little while....

I know a lot of you guys are running Long Tubes and the package I've decided is listed above. My question is how do you guys get around the 02 Sensor? I've been told that Long Tube Headers ''remove'' the cats, and some ''push'' the cats further down the car.

I believe the headers linked above don't remove the cats, just push them down further, will this throw a code, and if so do I need an 02 Simulator?

Thanks for the help guys!
Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
The Long Tube Header Package.
Header Package, 1-3/4" Long Tube 2010 V8 Camaro w/Installation Kit/High-Flow Cats/PowerFlo-X Crossover Pipe Assembly
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=30213

?? The Question ??
Since tuning the vehicle will result in a complete loss of warranty I am trying to choose mods that wont ruin my entire vehicles warranty. This means that tuning the car is simply out of the question for the next little while....

I know a lot of you guys are running Long Tubes and the package I've decided is listed above. My question is how do you guys get around the 02 Sensor? I've been told that Long Tube Headers ''remove'' the cats, and some ''push'' the cats further down the car.

I believe the headers linked above don't remove the cats, just push them down further, will this throw a code, and if so do I need an 02 Simulator?

Thanks for the help guys!
Moving the cats down further moves them further from the heat source therefore taking longer for them to get up to operating temps of 500+ degrees the Rear O2s are Cat Monitors to see if the cats are working properly with in a certain time frame dicatated by the EPA.

A couple things work to prevent P0420 and P0430, Start your car and GO, don't sit there and dilly dally, the cats won't get up to temps fast enough and will set the code, secondly a set of modifyed spark plug antifoulers can also reduce the chance of setting the codes by spacing out the rear O2 sensors from the exhaust stream, High Temp Ceramic coating also helps keep the heat in the pipes.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
g-townmach
I FARTED

my question is why nobody comes out with a set of MIL eliminators just like what us previous mustang guys used for the last decade when running off-road mid pipes.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
blueallie

Drives: Abm 1ss/rs 6m
I know right. I had o2 sims on my lexus when it had headers.
blueallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-townmach View Post
my question is why nobody comes out with a set of MIL eliminators just like what us previous mustang guys used for the last decade when running off-road mid pipes.
Because Casper electronics got crusified by the EPA in a lawsuit.

Google O2 sims lawsuit

Ted.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
g-townmach
I FARTED

That's stupid. So there are no O2 simulators or MIL's available these days???
Old 12-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
66DeuceLS1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS SIM M6 Hockey Kit
Asylum - with LT's it does push the O2 sensors back, but if you are picking up a set new then any reputable company will have the O2 sensor extention harnesses included. It is your option to use or not use high flow CATS that are offered by the same company or to have some other brand added. If you opt not to use CATS, then yes you do have to program out the P0420/P0430 codes to keep them from setting your Service Engine light.

I just completed the install of a set of Kook's last night on my LS3 and it was very easy and straight forward. I used their HF CAT's which bolted directly up to the existing pipes using the factory clamps too. I have had no codes trip last night or today and have read on a number of posts that no one seems to be having any code issues.

Cheers!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
GNVenom
Turbos. Turbos. Turbos.

Drives: 2010 SS Yellow/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Because Casper electronics got crusified by the EPA in a lawsuit.

Google O2 sims lawsuit

Ted.
Yep, we sure did. No simulators available, since August 2005. Ask me how I know...

Caspers Electronics Inc.
Loveland CO
2010 2SS/RS Yellow/Black > http://www.bummlbe.com
GNVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNVenom View Post
Yep, we sure did. No simulators available, since August 2005. Ask me how I know...
Well I am glad to hear your still Kickin, I hope you recovered well from that disaster.

Ted.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #11
GNVenom
Turbos. Turbos. Turbos.

Drives: 2010 SS Yellow/Black
Thanks Ted.

It wasn't fun and wouldn't want to repeat it. Good 'ol Uncle Sam at its finest.

Caspers Electronics Inc.
Loveland CO
2010 2SS/RS Yellow/Black > http://www.bummlbe.com
GNVenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
matt55

Drives: CTS-V
Cheap po420 fix , Spark plug non-fouler.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66DeuceLS1 View Post
Asylum - with LT's it does push the O2 sensors back, but if you are picking up a set new then any reputable company will have the O2 sensor extention harnesses included. It is your option to use or not use high flow CATS that are offered by the same company or to have some other brand added. If you opt not to use CATS, then yes you do have to program out the P0420/P0430 codes to keep them from setting your Service Engine light.

I just completed the install of a set of Kook's last night on my LS3 and it was very easy and straight forward. I used their HF CAT's which bolted directly up to the existing pipes using the factory clamps too. I have had no codes trip last night or today and have read on a number of posts that no one seems to be having any code issues.

Cheers!
Did you do a fuse pull or battery disconnect after you installed? How does she feel now? I am debating on doing Kooks or ARH longtubes with the highflow cats, paired up with my already installed Borls S-type. My biggest worry is passing emissions hear in PA with the high flow cats.
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
Jason@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Jason@Phastek
I have used this Company since Casper was forced to stop making theirs. DAMN EPA!!!
http://www.o2simulator.com/?gclid=CN...FQ8eDQodfUIwmA

Good luck havent tried them on the new 2010's yet.
Jason@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote