Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
5thGENv6

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
Exclamation Cure for the CEL ?!

read these and tell me what you think.. it might be a simple fix to the dreaded CEL from LT headers with high flow cats!!

It started when my local dealership installed my new front ss fascia with fog lights and they forgot to reteach the comp in the car that the fog lights were there.. so i took my car home installed the headers and drove around with a cel for a few weeks.. then i tried the non foulers and they worked off and on.. the next week i brought my car in again for them to fix the fog lights and not only did they fix the fog lights but they also fixed the tire light that had been on since i switched out my ls wheels for ss wheels with no sensors. maybe they fixed the CEL also.. i have no idea though

[qoute] mike.nite

Hmm, very interesting.

I went to my dealer last week for updating my radio and BCM (I upgraded to a 2LT leather steering wheel with bluetooth/audio controls).
He saw that I have a CEL on my DIC. He also saw my BBK headers . BTW he was impressed and loved the sound of the BBK+Borla.
He told me that the trouble codes (Which release the CEL) are stored in more than one place. This means that you have to reset error codes in more than one place.
So a cheap "iPhone App Codereader/diagnostic tool" probably resets error codes only in the DIC and not on the particular module.
Probably 5thGENv6s dealer cleared all his codes everywhere. And now togehter with the doubled up nonfoulers it seems to work.
...just a thought.

So i gave my dealership a call and was told that they cleared all the codes.. i think you are right that after the codes were cleared the doubled up non-foulers worked.

PN is 42009 i think...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108515

5thGENv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
What do you mean by the non foulers working on and off? The light would turn on and off by themselves?
Old 10-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
I think he was pointing out what most have found out with the non-foulers and that is that it'll keep the cel away for awhile, but sooner or later it pops up.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
5thGENv6

what i meant by on and off is that one day i would start my car and the CEL would be on, the next day it would be off.

yes as you put it most other members have found that the non foulers by themselves work sporadically but, i took my car to the dealership and when they cleared the tire sensor light and fixed the fogs they also cleared the CEL from the headers. since they cleared it the non foulers have been working and i have been CEL free for over 3 months. about 5 k miles ...
Old 10-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Give it some time...they'll come back on...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
yea... i've already tried something like that. I have a dashhawk like some of us here, and you can Clear your CELs... but if the problem isn't actually fixed, the CEL comes back. Pointless lol.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:08 AM   #7
WHIPPLECHARGED

Drives: 2011 1SS
Very interesting: One of the scan tools I checked for trouble codes was giving me a B2AAA, which I was never able to find any information on. All that I know is that the B stands for code in the Body Control Module. A generic scan tool can not clear codes in this module, but was under the impression that disconnecting the battery for a few minutes would clear all the modules.

The code P2097 criteria for setting shows that the rear sensor has to be above the maximum threshold value of .8 volts for only 8 seconds to set a code. This criteria is very easy to achieve with mods done and without a tune.

The only other factor I can think of is weather. Maybe your not getting a CEL because of the climate in which you live. Vehicles will run better in cooler temps and lower elevations. When I was over in California I cleared my CEL and it did not come back on until I was back into hotter temps and higher elevation.

I do know for a fact that the Non Foulers will get rid of cat efficiency codes P0420 and P0430. I had these codes before installing the foulers and have not had them since installing. Its just the P2097 code that Long Tubes and even JBA shorties seem to have an issue with.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #8
mike.nite

Drives: 2011 2SS L99, 2010 LT RS
5thGENv6 - thanks for taking time and answering my questions. Good to hear that you're stil CEL free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGENv6 View Post
since they cleared it the non foulers have been working and i have been CEL free for over 3 months. about 5 k miles ...
When I reset my trouble codes the CEL disapears for some miles. I noticed that it normaly comes back after the first few hard accelerations. So you could probably try to accelerate harder a few times. I'm wondering if you can repeat this on different days and still don't get a CEL. Let's go!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
yea... i've already tried something like that. I have a dashhawk like some of us here, and you can Clear your CELs... but if the problem isn't actually fixed, the CEL comes back. Pointless lol.
Jagan, I do also have diagnostic tools (a handheld and a OBDII Wifi dongle - both with different software). But as already told I am not shure if they are realy able to clear codes everywhere. Are you shure that your dashawk gadget has the same code reading/reseting possibilities like the professional MDI diagnostic interface has?

Whe I got my BCM and Radio updated I was able to follow the update procedure on the shops computer (connected via MDI and then acces via TisWeb). After the installation was done there appeared a finish screen on the computer and there I saw a message. It was something like: "By reseting trouble codes please keep in mind that they are stored in different modules....and you have to reset every single module"
mike.nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Uh, my dashhawk can clear codes everywhere =/ I'm near 90% sure of that. But clearing the code isn't resolving any issues... that's all im saying =o. The Dashhawk is supposed to be a pretty handy ODBII scanner device. Which is why it costed so much o_O.

I might be wrong though =p
Old 10-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
PoorMansCamaro

Actually, clearing the code and keeping it off would solve the issue. There is nothing else wrong. The engine is doing what it's supposed to do with LT's and high flow cats.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:21 PM   #11
mike.nite

Drives: 2011 2SS L99, 2010 LT RS
Okay - I'll give it a try. Is this what you're using:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...artNumber=true
mike.nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #12
5thGENv6

it is either 42002 or 42009.. i cant remember lol i know the thread is 18mm

OUR BEE - its worth a shot to head down to your local dealership and ask if they can clear the codes for you.. maybe it will work

and yes clearing the codes is the whole issue lol
Old 10-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I'm late to the dance again. So can I use these plug foulers with my jba shortys it might stop the code I'm getting?
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.nite View Post
Okay - I'll give it a try. Is this what you're using:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...artNumber=true
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
I'm late to the dance again. So can I use these plug foulers with my jba shortys it might stop the code I'm getting?
That's a huge might. But it's only $4. Give it a try