Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #29
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Drives: '97 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to helmincamaro Send a message via Yahoo to helmincamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
We have three 16E8's, and one 16E9. The E8's have the blowers, and the E9 has a turbo charger...

Guess they have different model names for those, The ones I worked on had the number of cylinders, size in cubic inches per cylinder etc in it. (like 16-645E3)... those are some of the older ones, I've worked on some 567, 645 and 710 cubic inch (per cylinder) engines. What a monster when you got 710x20
helmincamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #30
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
Guess they have different model names for those, The ones I worked on had the number of cylinders, size in cubic inches per cylinder etc in it. (like 16-645E3)... those are some of the older ones, I've worked on some 567, 645 and 710 cubic inch (per cylinder) engines. What a monster when you got 710x20
Same engines, that was our rig specific short hand... We have the MD 16-645E8 and MD16-645E9... The E8's are 1950 HP and the E9 is 2800...

I couldnt imagine a 710X20...

I'm the Subsea Engineer, not in the mechanical dept... If they call me for help, it's to build a hose or supply them with fittings... It's too noisy and hot to work in the motor room... Actually I do help if they ever ask for it... It just isn't my cup of tea...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #31
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Quote:
Same engines, that was our rig specific short hand... We have the MD 16-645E8 and MD16-645E9... The E8's are 1950 HP and the E9 is 2800...

I couldnt imagine a 710X20...

I'm the Subsea Engineer, not in the mechanical dept... If they call me for help, it's to build a hose or supply them with fittings... It's too noisy and hot to work in the motor room... Actually I do help if they ever ask for it... It just isn't my cup of tea...

The 16-645E3's were made back in the 70's and are still out there.... they make 3,000hp at around 950rpms! They also made a 20-645 years ago, that thing was a torque monster.... it was horrible on fuel and was notorious for crankshaft failure.... I saw one snap a crank first hand... what a sight! The 20-710's have a twin turbo on them to top it all off..... 6,000hp at 900 rpms. I remember a while back they had one at the proving grounds they revved up to around 6,000 rpms! It put out about 40,000hp.... but it sure wont last long at those speeds. The 16-645's built in the 70's are still out there running, they're just starting to rebuild them now .
Old 05-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #32
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

You ought to come to work with us... Obviously you know what you're talking about...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 05-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #33
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Quote:
You ought to come to work with us... Obviously you know what you're talking about...

really? I could use a good job, and I think I could fit in with the Texas lifestyle .
Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #34
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I can ramble off some random numbers just as well as the next guy. Can I gave a job too?
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #35
helmincamaro
Official Lounge BAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I can ramble off some random numbers just as well as the next guy. Can I gave a job too?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:23 AM   #36
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmincamaro View Post
really? I could use a good job, and I think I could fit in with the Texas lifestyle .
There isn't anything Texas life stylish about my job, I work on an offshore rig in Brazil... There is no residency requirement... If you are seriously interested, I'll pm my email addy to you and we can talk there... I can pass your info to several mechanical supervisors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Sure, random numbers about what.... Time slips and hp? Supporting that monster of yours tells me you probably all Ready have a good job..