Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Cornflakes'Camaro
Counting down the days...

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
newbie question about lowering and wheels

Hey guys, i'm currently deployed and will be getting a Camaro 2SS when i get back. my question is, first off, what is a decent size for wheels? (20,21,22?) and when i decide to lower the vehicle (as low as humanly possible) is there a limit on how big a wheel i can have w/o having a rubbing issue or anything else go wrong? Thanks guys
Cornflakes'Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
The best wheel size is subjective. I think 20's are the max size that looks good. But you can fit up to 30"if you want. If you want to go super low you pretty much have to buy coilovers.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
Tshepp
Show & Go

Drives: '10 Camaro 1SS LS3
This is a very relative question depending on your personal preference, taste, and parts. There really is no specific "decent" size wheel for an SS. I personally love the stock 20s so wheels will be the last thing for me to mod on my Camaro. I have a very extensive resume of custom cars that have all been modified in every aspect of suspension, wheels, engine etc so I can only give my opinion on what I would do. I think the biggest wheel I would do on an SS is 22s to maintain functionality and classy look. I have 24s on my Dodge Magnum which on that car looks awesome but on an SS would look silly. I also went with 20s and big tires on my Hummer rather than 24s, 26s or larger like most other owners because I felt it fit that truck better. My two cents; I would look at a set of staggered 20s or 22s if you wish to change to aftetmarket wheels. There are tons of pictures available for you to get an idea as to what youll like. Your wheel size and offset will also determine how low you can go without issues. I personally will be using 1" drop springs on the stock 20s and then throw on a set of staggered 22s I'm the next couple years once all other parts of my modding list is complete. I'm more focused on engine performance at the moment....
Tshepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
HaddadMotorsports

Drives: Camaro
20"x9.5" with a 275 front
and 20"x10.5" with a 295 rear

you can fill up the wheel well with this combo and go as low as you like with no rubbing, assuming the offset is right.

THanks
Mike Haddad
HaddadMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
20" are a great size for these cars, especially after lowering they fill out the wheel wells without adding too much extra weight over the already extremely heavy stock wheel and tire combo. When ever you get new wheels offsets are critical, your local wheel and tire shop should be able to do some test fitting to verify whats gong to look and perform best.

Like Mike just mentioned, 20x9.5 - 275 front and 20x10.5 - 295 rear seem to be popular sizes that should work at a variety of ride heights without too much issue.

--
Jarrett
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
Cornflakes'Camaro

Thanks guys. I believe i will be sticking with a 20" wheel size, along w/ lowering 1" I believe it should fill out the wheel-well nice and perform good. it's hard to know what i want, considering i don't have the car yet, but as soon as i get it, the mods are going to start being put on, so i want to know what will work and look good before i even buy it. like i said, thanks and you guys are awesome.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:34 AM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Shoot a PM to Tony, Nine Ball here on Camaro5. No one has as more experience putting wheels on these cars. He will be able to spec out as set with the proper dimensions for you.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
Hey guys, i'm currently deployed and will be getting a Camaro 2SS when i get back. my question is, first off, what is a decent size for wheels? (20,21,22?) and when i decide to lower the vehicle (as low as humanly possible) is there a limit on how big a wheel i can have w/o having a rubbing issue or anything else go wrong? Thanks guys
Cornflakes’Camaro – thanks for serving our country! On our F-11 Camaro project we have BBS’s (20x9 front and 20x10 rear). They are a great size and with our 1-inch drop springs front and rear we don’t have problems driving it on a daily basis.

Wheels Page: LINK

Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
STEALTH_MODE
I have a V6, so what?

Drives: Top Secret
Get 20s.. I personally think going any higher than that kills the car, and since you want to lower it.. It won't look low if you bump up the wheel size unless you get low profile tires... I have 20s with H&R springs and it's pretty low.. It's a 1.4 inch drop.. There's another set Of springs out there that are like 1.6.. But if you have the money, go with sets coilovers and you'll be able to drop and much as you want without killing ride quality..coilovers can be pretty expensive compared to lowering springs but everyone has thier preference
STEALTH_MODE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
Cornflakes'Camaro

thanks fellas. i'm going to go with 1.4 in lowering springs and 20"x9 in the front and then 20x9.5/10" in the rear. the wheels will be something like the BBS wheels above, (10-12 spoke) and i plan on gettin them black w/ an orange lip (prolly have to get that powdercoated). but thanks fellas and i'll be sure to post up some pictures of the car and the wheels when i return!
Old 06-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
FYI -- 2010 Camaro with 20x9.5, 20x11 Forgeline 20" fitment

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Jay_LHD3

Drives: 2019 F150 RCSB Abyss FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornflakes'Camaro View Post
To answer your question on how big can you go without rubbing... You can go up to 24s without any rubbing issues, but your tires are going to look like rubber bands around your wheels. Your tire height will be the same, so this will not be affected by lowering. Keep in mind that this all depends on wheel widths also. If you're going to go extreme, I'd recommend going through one of the vendors here that sell wheels for the new Camaro. This will hopefully reduce any headaches.

Jay_LHD3 is offline   Reply With Quote