Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
Hobgoblin42

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th Anniversary edition
Send a message via Yahoo to Hobgoblin42
Blizzacks and no sand and I am driving through the worst Buffalo NY can throw at me.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=1

Hobgoblin42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Pirelli Scorpions on the wheels and just an ice scraper in the trunk. Driving experience is better than weighing down the trunk.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #17
skittleoncrack

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (LS3, 150-Shot N2O)
My buddy had an 03 G35 Coupe 6spd-MT. We drove it after an ice storm one time and it did Fine.. (except for when he though it would be a bright idea to turn traction control off...) traction control and easy clutch use work great.. I would rather take a MT out in the snow or ice any day over an AT.
skittleoncrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #18
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
Pirelli Scorpions on the wheels and just an ice scraper in the trunk. Driving experience is better than weighing down the trunk.
I think those Scorpions have something to do with it....
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:38 PM   #19
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
My car is usually 57/43, f/r weight distribution. Too little weight in the back makes oversteer harder to control, like a Mustang or truck. If there is weight in the back and you slowly, but surely, go around a corner you have much more control. Like a pickup truck with an empty bed versus with weight in it. Also the weight in the back makes it more stable when going a steady speed in one direction, versus wildly fishtailing if you steer one direction slightly ?
What you just said goes against the laws of physics. But what do I know anyway?
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
08-G35s/6MT

Drives: racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
What you just said goes against the laws of physics. But what do I know anyway?
Sorry, but(for example) a truck has no weight in back yet it fishtails like no one's business, which contradicts your arguement that having weight in the back will make it more likely to fishtail than not. A heavier car wins in a crash just about every time, that's basic laws of physics, equal and opposite reaction. A heavier car is less affected by factors such as crosswinds or any other forces enacted on to it as well, which is basic physics and part of my arguement too. Yeah sure if I go around a corner like a bat out of hell I will go tail first, without or with the sandbags I would anyhow.
08-G35s/6MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 AM   #21
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I put 4 bags (4X40# = 160#) of water softener salt pellets in my trunk and it did help traction on ice. I have the Scorpion Ice & Snow tires. This Camaro is the best in snow of any of my previous cars, and at least as good as the front wheel drive cars I've had. Only my 4WD SUV (with good tires) was better in snow.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #22
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I drive totally stock, no weight in trunk (except for a jacket). I use Continental Extreme DWS tires, and they rock.

I've driven in 2-4 inches of snow several times this year, with no problems.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #23
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
Then why the hell are you driving the Camaro in the snow??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GbrilliantQ View Post
The P-zeros. I know thats the problem, but I have a beater for the winter now.
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #24
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Best solution - don't drive in the snow. The Camaro wasn't made to drive in the snow.
Not true...Camaro is just fine in the snow with the right tires. Traction control is awesome.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #25
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
JFTR if you notice the OP is driving a G35, so all the comments pertaining what works/doesn't work, or needs/doesn't need in a Gen5 Camaro are somewhat irrelevant.

I drive a '00 2WD S-10. Three tubes of tube sand (around 200lbs or so)seems to get the job done without having a 1/4 ton back there to lug around. So IMO you've got over double what would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
I have NEVER used sand bags in ANY of my vehicles and I live in Iowa. Drive like you're supposed to and you don't need them.
Boy I wouldn't get anywhere in my 2WD S-10 pick-up in the snow without some weight over the rear axle.

P.S. Something to consider when it comes to using salt for weight in the trunk. My sister was a big believer in this. She was unlucky enough to get in an accident. The salt bags were thrown around and ruptured which got salt way down in all the inaccessable nooks and crannies. Boy did that car ever rust out fast!
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #26
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Couple of issues here:

Sand is primarily to equalize weight distribution. This is why it's so popular with the pickup truck crowd--especially in light pickups with long beds, there truly isn't enough weight for decent traction in the rear, especially with an open differential.

The Camaro has a very good weight distribution, and I would *not* advise adding weight. Not to mention, it probably makes a mess out of your trunk if any of the bags, tubes, or whatever leak sand.

I would also not advise to drive in snow with traction control ON. Turn it OFF. Contrary to popular belief, traction control does not give you traction, it only cuts power. This is detrimental, say, when you are trying to go up a hill and your only chance of making it is if you keep even pressure on the gas pedal and allow the wheels to spin a bit.

What the Camaro needs in snow is a good set of tires; studded, or winter/all season. Most of all, it needs a confident driver.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'd recommend no more than 1 bag of tube sand, keep it in case you ever get stuck. Otherwise, don't bother.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08-G35s/6MT View Post
My car is usually 57/43, f/r weight distribution. Too little weight in the back makes oversteer harder to control, like a Mustang or truck. If there is weight in the back and you slowly, but surely, go around a corner you have much more control. Like a pickup truck with an empty bed versus with weight in it. Also the weight in the back makes it more stable when going a steady speed in one direction, versus wildly fishtailing if you steer one direction slightly ?
Typically, a pickup is designed to handle best with a partial load in its bed. This is because the trucks are meant to be used as trucks.

In general, adding weight to the back does two, counteracting things with regard to handling. First, its adds rear grip which counters oversteer. Secondly it changes the centre of gravity which, if pushed too far back, will cause the car to be inherently unstable in the corner. It will want to swing out, particularly if there is a single lump of mass in the back (ie, an engine or a lot of sand).

That said, practically every single car on the road today will understeer when pushed, and that includes driving in the snow. In fact for a new car, you usually you have to actively try and induce oversteer by doing things like turning off traction control. If you are encountering oversteer in the winter, drive slower and wait until the wheel is straight before hitting the gas. And get some snow tires.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 PM   #28
Cyber/Orange10
Cyber/orange10

Drives: 2010 2SS 96 CE LT4, 12 CRUZE ECO
Send a message via AIM to Cyber/Orange10
20" Scorpions, scraper and.............awesome,.......never any trouble. Better than my '93 Z/28 with snows!!! DRIVE IT DON'T HIDE IT !
Cyber/Orange10 is offline   Reply With Quote