Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Waterboy2b98
Waterboy2B98

Drives: 11 2SS M6.
Anybody ever had clutch come halfway out?

Just put my new Mickeys on and did a launch. Clutch came halfway out and car barely moved. Smelled like I left half of it right there. Did not slip driving home. Checked the cylinder, dirty all hell with specks in it. Sucked it out and filled it. It got brown again?? This ever happen to anybody?? Clutch going out even though it did not slip?? Was going to the track tomorrow.
Waterboy2b98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy2b98 View Post
Just put my new Mickeys on and did a launch. Clutch came halfway out and car barely moved. Smelled like I left half of it right there. Did not slip driving home. Checked the cylinder, dirty all hell with specks in it. Sucked it out and filled it. It got brown again?? This ever happen to anybody?? Clutch going out even though it did not slip?? Was going to the track tomorrow.
Check the fluid in the reservoir every time before you go to the track. If it is brownish at all suck most of the fluid out of the reservoir and replace it with Motil 660 brake fluid.

After pushing on the clutch pedal a few times, if it looks dirty still, repeat until the fluid looks fresh in the reservoir.

Then get the seperate clutch reservoir.

Then get the Tick clutch line.

Then the stock clutch will be as good as it gets until you wear it down to the rivets. Then get a better clutch.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Stock clutch doesn't like DRs. Common for mine to stick to floor at high RPMs and slipping the clutch out. Smells awful and the run goes south. Suck, refill, pump 25x, repeat until fluid clearer. Takes me about 3-5 flushes to get there. They say separate reservoir helps but I haven't received the benefit other than dirtying the clutch fluid and keeping the brake fluid clean. I've tried a return spring and that may help a little. I haven't received the promised benefit there either. Twin-disc in the works; that'll be the solution here.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #4
Waterboy2b98
Waterboy2B98

I do have a seperate reservior. I will suck it out a few times and replace. And try taking a launch in the street. Just wondering if the throwout bearing went bad. I have a clutch replacment savings plan in place. I just dropped $1000 on my DR and rims, so I am broke!
Thanks for the advice guys!!
Old 10-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Yep. Time for a performance clutch.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy2b98 View Post
I do have a seperate reservior. I will suck it out a few times and replace. And try taking a launch in the street. Just wondering if the throwout bearing went bad. I have a clutch replacment savings plan in place. I just dropped $1000 on my DR and rims, so I am broke!
Thanks for the advice guys!!
Don't just suck it out, flush it all the way through the blender on the slave. You won't get but about 30% of the fluid if you just do the rezzy.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
Don't just suck it out, flush it all the way through the blender on the slave. You won't get but about 30% of the fluid if you just do the rezzy.
I never had to do this. But OP, if you let it get too bad this should be the plan. I change out my reservoir every time before I go to to the track.

One other thing. I once had the sticking problem with clean fluid. A guy in the staging lanes asked if I overfilled my reservoir. Sure enough I did. Apparently the fluid pressure can back up and cause pedal stickage when things get warm. I didn't think that was possible, but it's the only explanation I have.

Even after all of the above, the clutch can just give up on a hard launch, especially with more than stock power. Time for a new clutch. If you get close to the end of the clutch, you may want to hold off drag racing until you save up enough for the clutch. Then you can start saving up for a diff/axle replacement.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Fraxum

One of these clutch problem threads should be a sticky.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Waterboy2b98
Waterboy2B98

I have 475 RWHP. And installed a posi mod and 1000 HP axles when I changed my gears. I will start paying more attention to the clutch fluid and flush the hell out of it. I wont go to the track yet, but will try it a few times on the street and see how it does. It sure scared the hell out of me. First time that happend!