Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #29
SS ORANGE CRUSH SS

Drives: Inferno Orange 2SS RS Convertible
A F M...........Hmmmm!!

A Faster Manual (;0)

A retuned LS3 without left leg cramps and right arm frustration!!!! (watch the tach)

L99 all the way!! (great for cruising without the cursing) grind to second"""" oh first to fourth???

And no drone with top down and sport mode with the Boston's booming!!!

L99...........Tapshift to 99??
Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #30
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
LAME this topic AGAIN?? just manually shift it and AFM will never activate..

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #31
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
There isn't anything worse than Cherrybombs and TSP header drone and when AFM kicks in,forget about it. Thankfully ,there is a cure for that. Jannetty tune!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #32
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I felt exactly the same way but I did not LIVE with the torment. I drove the car for 3000 miles, took the car into my GM performance service center and had them do a complete look over and got a thumbs up and that was all i needed.

Most major issues that are covered by factory warrantee will generally happen in the first 3000-5000 miles of use from my experience. After that, if things go wrong, generally its because of how the car is maintained or used by the owner so its all on you anyway for the most part.

Anyway, once I got the OK, it was time for a tune and the add ons started to make my car into my dream car.

I would agree, its the best car I have owned.

My question is have you needed your warrantee in the three years you have owned your car????

Now being a brand new car when you ordered yours, I can see some hesitation. All new model cars have some issues, you never know what could happen when your first in line for a new car design but I could have never waited 3 years before getting rid of that weak exhaust and tuning out the AFM and Torque management system for that matter.

Your next time around you state that you would look for a used vette or used ZL1. A new ZL1 would probably not cost any more then most used Vettes that aare worth buying anyway.

To be honest, after seeing them put the automatic behind the same engine as the manual in the ZL1, it is disappointing that they did not offer the A6 with the LS3 for an option. Does not make much sense really but it is what it is.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #33
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquash1984 View Post
Active fuel management soft ware programmed into the ECM of the auto camaro with the l99 motor to turn off 4 cylinders under low loads
What are low loads, drive it like you stole it and the AFM doesnt come on, I cant honestly say I have ever felt the AFM on and I dont think I am an agressive driver, maybe spirited, LOL, In chicago with out streets and traffic I dont think the AFM is that noticeable.

Love the car, but your right had I known about the AFM beforehand that it could not be turned off without voiding the warranty, I may have opted for the stick, Its just alot more to deal with when you got a coffee in one hand a phone in the other and a good looking girl sitting next to you to add to the distractions.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #34
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
What are low loads, drive it like you stole it and the AFM doesnt come on, I cant honestly say I have ever felt the AFM on and I dont think I am an agressive driver, maybe spirited, LOL, In chicago with out streets and traffic I dont think the AFM is that noticeable.

Love the car, but your right had I known about the AFM beforehand that it could not be turned off without voiding the warranty, I may have opted for the stick, Its just alot more to deal with when you got a coffee in one hand a phone in the other and a good looking girl sitting next to you to add to the distractions.
could not tell you as I had all this changed within 2 months of getting my car almost a yr ago all I know is it was annoying
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #35
KBruno

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
GM had/has a good reason for that ~1mpg that the AFM gains in EPA testing: MONEY. Millions & millions of $. It along with the Volt among others allows them to make a supercharged corvettes, supercharged camaros, supercharged cadillacs that in the real world guzzle fuel like it's going out of style.

Come on now, a 2 ton 400HP camaro with an automatic that gets around the gas guzzler tax for both the consumer & GM under C.A.F.E. standards. Damn, that's really something and it's innovation like that that's going to keep GM afloat and making some really cool cars.

Now we just have to use the same kind of thinking and go buy a tuner to turn the thing off and start saving gas since we won't be driving WOT all the time just trying to get the tires to chirp. Just make sure the tuner is made in america to offset the camaro being made in Canada.
KBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #36
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Ive had an l99 for 2 months now and i honestly am not bothered by AFM ... the only time i can even tell its on is when im driving at low speeds with one hand on the shifter ... The one thing i will say i absolutely hate is the hesitation when stepping on the gas that is annoying as hell and i do feel like im damaging the powertrain when it happens
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #37
blades

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS2
Don't see the problem with tuning it. Used the SCT from Ted and its great now. But if a issue came up for the warranty then just flash it back to the stock tune and done. AFM is crap but get it taken off of it and its like a new car. Love the tune period.
blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #38
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by blades View Post
Don't see the problem with tuning it. Used the SCT from Ted and its great now. But if a issue came up for the warranty then just flash it back to the stock tune and done. AFM is crap but get it taken off of it and its like a new car. Love the tune period.
That won't work...
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #39
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6

Drives: 2012 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by blades View Post
In regards to the warranty .... If it were that easy everyone would of already done it... The dealer can see that u flashed in back
Im_Fly_Like_A_V6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #40
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGUNNER View Post
Love my L99. Don't mind the AFM but that's what's holding me back from getting an exhaust.
Just what we need, Another bash the Auto thread- NOT !
I never could detect the AFM on my SS and can't hear it now.
I waited for a drone free exhaust and got it with the Solo J-Pipe axle back system.
Nothing but a deep aggressive rumble.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #41
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
AFM comes on even at low speeds, and once you know what to listen for, it's very obvious. I'm talking cruising around at 25 or 35. And you can't constantly floor it to keep it off. What do you do when you want to maintain a constant speed? You have to ease up on the gas. As soon as you do this, Whammo! AFM kicks in. They should've found another way to meet their precious EPA standards. AFM has no place on a muscle car.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #42
Globemaster

Drives: 2010 2SS Bumble Bee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Stop your whining, Either convert it to a ls3, tune it or sell it. BUy a mustang and be like every other girl that like ponies.
Globemaster is offline   Reply With Quote