Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #113
DarkFox1

Drives: 2012 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Nope, only the auto V8. At least the V6 is always firing on all cylinders. With AFM, the V8 is basically a 4-banger a large percentage of the time.
yes but it's a 3.1L 4 banger. That's pretty big for a 4cyl!
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #114
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFox1 View Post
yes but it's a 3.1L 4 banger. That's pretty big for a 4cyl!
True

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #115
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEAN View Post
And the worst of it is, in our old Impala SS and current G8 GT, the transition is absolutely imperceptible. But in the Camaro, boy, there was never any doubt, and it intruded ALL the time in city driving. Highly annoying. Ended up trading out of it for a Corvette (no AFM and a better transmission tune BTW). While we definitely will be getting another Camaro (there were other issues w/ our first one), if it's an automatic, I WILL be getting AFM tuned out and will just live with the consequences. For me, the car isn't worth having w/ AFM in it's current form.
Amen! That's why I made this post. If you are one of those people who don't notice AFM (like my wife), then enjoy! But if you are planning to purchase an auto, please drive it on a lengthy test drive. Just realize if you notice hesitations, odd exhuast notes and the gear shift vibrating at low speeds... it not your imagination and I doubt you will just "learn to ignore it". But a tuned L99 is a different car!

Honestly, I would pay a gas guzzle tax for LS3 Auto, and if people could drive both at a dealer I think a lot of people would too. The tax would be equal to a couple of options or about the same as the RS package.

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 AM   #116
SS_BONE_'MARO

Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS/RS L99
Older thread but always relevant. I could not stand the AFM with a GMPP axle back. Eventually had Solo MACH XL w/ J-pipes installed, hoping for better sound and less annoying AFM, but it did not help at all in my opinion. Yeah on the highway it was better, but around town, it was still there mocking me. I was so irritated by the AFM when driving I couldn't enjoy driving the car. So I decided I go with the JRE SCT tune. Now I love driving my car. It's great. I must admit, this whole AFM problem does make me sometimes wish I would have went with the M6 LS3; I drove one and loved it too, but thought the daily stop-n-go traffic would be miserable (it's my DD by choice). But as others have already stated; with the tune, my L99 is great. In my humble opinion, if anyone is considering aftermarket exhaust for an L99 they should really consider whether or not they are willing to tune off the AFM first, because I am willing to bet, it will ruin your experience to some degree (more or less depending on your tolerance). Just got tired of trying to convince myself it was okay (for example, "that sound is saving me MPGs" or "it's not that bad" or "what if my engine blows up and I needed the warranty"). The risk-to-benefit ratio for me favored benefit. Last thing, my overall average MPG without AFM improved by 1 point; I think it was because I used drive more aggressively to try to beat or suppress the AFM, this didn't work of course. My 2.2 cents.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #117
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_BONE_'MARO View Post
Older thread but always relevant. I could not stand the AFM with a GMPP axle back. Eventually had Solo MACH XL w/ J-pipes installed, hoping for better sound and less annoying AFM, but it did not help at all in my opinion. Yeah on the highway it was better, but around town, it was still there mocking me. I was so irritated by the AFM when driving I couldn't enjoy driving the car. So I decided I go with the JRE SCT tune. Now I love driving my car. It's great. I must admit, this whole AFM problem does make me sometimes wish I would have went with the M6 LS3; I drove one and loved it too, but thought the daily stop-n-go traffic would be miserable (it's my DD by choice). But as others have already stated; with the tune, my L99 is great. In my humble opinion, if anyone is considering aftermarket exhaust for an L99 they should really consider whether or not they are willing to tune off the AFM first, because I am willing to bet, it will ruin your experience to some degree (more or less depending on your tolerance). Just got tired of trying to convince myself it was okay (for example, "that sound is saving me MPGs" or "it's not that bad" or "what if my engine blows up and I needed the warranty"). The risk-to-benefit ratio for me favored benefit. Last thing, my overall average MPG without AFM improved by 1 point; I think it was because I used drive more aggressively to try to beat or suppress the AFM, this didn't work of course. My 2.2 cents.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #118
TopoffSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convert
Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMarySS View Post
Amen!! I love my Camaro but HATE that damn AFM. When it drops into 4cylinder mode I get pissed. My fault for not researching it before I bought it. I naively thought that both auto and manual came with the LS3. Never again!!

Same......... Didn't want to shift, but if I could do again 6 speed 4 sure.
Paddle shift seems worthless.......
Sounds like if you give up warentee you can fix issues?
I put the Borla Touring on to fix the 6 cyl sound, but won't go louder with the AFM.
TopoffSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #119
JewelSS
Norcal Camaros

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS L99
All this makes me want to get mine tuned out and enjoy my car more. I paid extra for an extended warranty and now wish i hadn't just so i could get rid of the AFM. As many of you have said a little more research before i bought my L99 and would have looked for an LS3 for sure. For me it was the Color and eye candy of the car that got me hooked on this one and then the mods started to jump in my head and now torn on what to do.....
JewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #120
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
have l99 tuned by tampa tune
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #121
trickortreat

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black, IOI
Sounds like I'm in the minority, but I enjoy the AFM. Power when I want it or gas mileage when I don't. All based on how I drive. Being able to turn it on or off at the flip of a switch instead of a computer deciding would be nice though.
trickortreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #122
kokadjoboy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS SIM/CG Inf orange.
Jannetty tune is the way to go.. drove down there the other day and Ted did his magic. My 2010 L99 is absolutely an animal now. Had I known it was going to be that big of an improvement I would have done it two years ago. We shut off the AFM and I got the same mileage (22mpg at 70-80) on the 150 mile drive home as I did on the way down.
kokadjoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #123
tntss

Drives: 2018 ZL1, 2016 ATS-V,2016 GMC 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcfiddy1 View Post
Stop your whining, Either convert it to a ls3, tune it or sell it. BUy a mustang and be like every other girl that like ponies.
tntss is offline   Reply With Quote