Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 01-27-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Any ordering tips?

Just got off the phone with my longtime dealer and should be going in to order my new ZL1 this week or next.

Does anyone have any ordering tips?

Things they wish they would have done either with the ordering process or not?

At this point only things I can think of are:

- I'd like to be there when it arrives
- I don't want the front license plate bracket drilled (I'll use the hide a plate or do something else

What about all the accessories - make sense to get them before or put them on myself after? (console lid, floor mats, cargo organizer etc.)

What about convertible windscreen? Does it work? Any better options?

Still undecided as to whether to go black or crystal red but that's another thread.

Thanks . . . .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited to bring all items to top post - thanks for thoughts:

1. Make a note if you'd like to be there when it arrives

2. If you don't want front license plate mounted (drilled front bumper) make note on order

3. Make sure that you are getting the car at a competitive price.

4. Ask your dealer for the order number shortly after the order is placed, so that you can track it on chevy's website.

5. Do not go overboard with accessories, since they will be priced higher on your order as opposed to buying them separate. Check Chevy's accessories or Shopchevyparts.com for availability of accessories. You can pick up things like floor mats, cargo mat and net and a few other goodies.

6. Do not put down a large deposit for the car (since its sight unseen). It will be easier to collect your deposit if an unforeseen event occurs that may result in the order cancellation (either by you or by the dealer).

7. Take the time to take care of a few odds and ends (insurance, garaging, etc.) while you wait.

Last edited by Highland Ranger; 01-27-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: bringing all suggestions to top post
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
1. Make sure that you are getting the car at a competitive price.

2. Ask your dealer for the order number shortly after the order is placed, so that you can track it on chevy's website.

3. Do not go overboard with accessories, since they will be priced higher on your order as opposed to buying them separate. Check Chevy's accessories or Shopchevyparts.com for availability of accessories. You can pick up things like floor mats, cargo mat and net and a few other goodies.

4. Do not put down a large deposit for the car (since its sight unseen). It will be easier to collect your deposit if an unforeseen event occurs that may result in the order cancellation (either by you or by the dealer).

Take the time to take care of a few odds and ends (insurance, garaging, etc.) while you wait.

Good luck, and good waiting!

Edit: Remind the dealer several times that you do not want the front plate bracket mounted.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:28 AM   #3
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Color is everything

I am also getting ready to order, the Color is the real hard one for me, also I am waiting a few more months to order the 15.
Good luck with your order
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Highland Ranger

Quote:
Make sure that you are getting the car at a competitive price.
What's competitive?

(His initial offer was $200 over invoice plus whatever incentives in place at time of delivery.)
Old 01-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Ranger View Post
What's competitive?

(His initial offer was $200 over invoice plus whatever incentives in place at time of delivery.)
You should check several dealers in your area (or at a 100 mile max. distance from you) and see what they are willing to price a new ZL1 order at. You could save a lot if you do the leg work. I turned down two dealers that I previously bought cars from because I was able to get a better deal from competitive shopping (ironically the dealer that beat out my other choices was in the same building that I ordered my first camaro).

The price could be different depending on your area, but IMO you should be looking at offers at or below invoice, just as a hint.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
BlemsBumble

Drives: '13 ZL1 #662; '10 SS; '99 SS
Get a copy of the order submitted by the dealer so that you can ensure that the car will be built the way you want. I learned this the hard way.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
I can't help you with the accessory questions, but I can help with the price. You can use truecar.com (boring) or do it like I did, which was a blast. Go onto the chevrolet website, build the car you want with all the options you want. At the end, ask for quotes from local dealers, pick as many as possible. Do everything on email, in writing, no phone calls, or in person visits at all. Start a bidding war between the dealers. I had an absolute blast doing this. Get the best quote from one, and fire off the price to the others, and so on and so on. Make them WORK for your business.
2012 2SS 45th Anniversary, Hurst short throw shifter, Stainless Power LT headers, high flow cats, SW Retro Chambered 3" cat back, CAI, Heritage grill, tinted windows, red/silver hash stripes, AAC LED sidemarkers, blacked out turn signals/tail lights, splash guards. 402RWHP

scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
2014v6

Drives: 2014 black 2 LT
Dont put a dime down to order...
Watch dealer installed options the cost is almost always to high... understand private offers and ones u can get...
TPW 7-22-13(6-14-13)
3300 status 6-28-13
3400 status 7-18-13
3800 status 7-20-13
4200 status On its way home
6000 status 7-31-13 first camaro ever...
Sold 7-5-14.. thank you oshawa assembly
2014v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Ranger View Post
What's competitive?

I have just finished negotiating a factory order. The best number I got on the new car only was $1100 below invoice on a convertible with MSRP of $47,470.

Keep in mind that invoice ain't what it used to be. What used to be a 9-9.5% gap with MSRP is now about 4.5%. so, the OEs are finding other ways to funnel profits to dealers so that the layman can't see it. The offer above is about 7% off MSRP.

Where you really see the collusion is in pricing trades. What a ripoff! They all look at auction prices so they know they can dump the car for a profit without even trying to sell it. My dealer trade value per KBB was around $14,000. I checked retail prices on Autotrader to confirm and yes, it looked like I could get $15+ if I wanted to go that route (and I really don't). Every one of six dealers in my area offered me $12,000 or less. I finally agreed to a deal with a difference of $31,500 which, depending on where the dealer wants to 'hide the pea' can be looked at as invoice and $13,700 for my trade or $1000 below invoice and $12,700 for the trade. I really worked this deal hard and am convinced that I just wasn't going to get a deal any lower.

Final hint if you're trading...get a supplier price code. I just so happens that I work for one but if I read the rules correctly, they can be transferred to anybody. This requires the dealer to sell the new car at the "supplier price" which is shown on the invoice and in my case was $150 above invoice. The dealer will get money from GM for every car sold under a supplier price agreement (I'm told about $500) which they can turn around and apply to your trade deal if so inclined. The dealer can also pad the trade price to make up ground on the difference as long as they attest to selling the new car at supplier price. Don't use one of these on a new car only purchase because you should be able to negotiate a much lower price on this type of transaction.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014v6 View Post
Dont put a dime down to order...
Watch dealer installed options the cost is almost always to high... understand private offers and ones u can get...
It depends what you're ordering. In my case, I am ordering a fairly rare color combination with a manual trans and all the major options so it's probably not a car a dealer would look at and think, yeah, I can move that right away. So, I have no problem putting something down. $500-$1000 should do it.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Highland Ranger

Do I need to specify anything about delivery? Someone said something about paperwork that comes with the car?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
Indydriver

NJ is a front plate state, right?

Here in flyover country, we don't bother with such nonsense so, whenever I order a car I haven't seen, I am very adamant that the deal is OFF if my front bumper is drilled! The front plate just ruins the look of any car in my not so humble opinion.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
Highland Ranger

ZL1 Production open tomorrow . . . . . wanted to get to the dealer this weekend but weather not cooperating.

Any other thoughts out there . . . . will hopefully get there tomorrow.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:30 AM   #14
Highland Ranger

Ordered yesterday. Thanks for all the tips. Now to start a delivery thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk