Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #43
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
I'm probably one of the few that is actually planning on putting a power-adder on my Z/28 after I take delivery. Of course, I'm going turbo versus supercharger.
Why?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #44
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
I'm probably one of the few that is actually planning on putting a power-adder on my Z/28 after I take delivery. Of course, I'm going turbo versus supercharger.
You might want to wait until you get it and drive it before you do something like that. This thing is being very fine tuned and developed by some incredibly talented performance people. There's a good chance that right out of the box it's performance ability will exceed yours so before you start upsetting the power balance, drive it first. On the track. At the max your skill can handle. Then have a pro instructor drive it with you in the passenger seat and see if there's a difference. If there is (which there probably will be) then spend some money going to a reputable performance driving school like Bondurant's so you can learn how to really use what the Z/28 is already capable of. It's that kind of car.

How many road course tracks are available to you where you can go faster than the Z/28 will already be able to go? The shocks, damping, sways, handling balance is currently being fine tuned to the power the car already has; upsetting that balance is something I'd do very cautiously and only if I really knew how to improve it (which I don't). It also means having the testing facilities to do so (which I don't) and the money to burn through tires, brakes and gas while rebalancing the car after adding more power.

Unless you seriously know what you're doing, mod this car VERY carefully when it comes to power and handling. This car isn't being developed by amateurs, nor is it being balanced/tuned for street use so the standard things you may have done for your SS won't apply here.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #45
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Why would I do it? That's simple. I want more power available from the car than what it will come with from the factory. My Z/28 will see street, track and, very likely even a drag strip if the mood hits me. My car will not be a garage queen, track/HPDE-only vehicle.

Yes, I know that it may not be what the car was specifically designed/engineered for, but that really does not matter to me.
Just know that the Z/28 won't come with the HD rear end or half shafts so you probably will have to change that as well. Adding that much weight will throw off the suspension tuning.

Why not just mod your ZL1?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #46
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
You might want to wait until you get it and drive it before you do something like that. This thing is being very fine tuned and developed by some incredibly talented performance people. There's a good chance that right out of the box it's performance ability will exceed yours so before you start upsetting the power balance, drive it first. On the track. At the max your skill can handle. Then have a pro instructor drive it with you in the passenger seat and see if there's a difference. If there is (which there probably will be) then spend some money going to a reputable performance driving school like Bondurant's so you can learn how to really use what the Z/28 is already capable of. It's that kind of car.

How many road course tracks are available to you where you can go faster than the Z/28 will already be able to go? The shocks, damping, sways, handling balance is currently being fine tuned to the power the car already has; upsetting that balance is something I'd do very cautiously and only if I really knew how to improve it (which I don't). It also means having the testing facilities to do so (which I don't) and the money to burn through tires, brakes and gas while rebalancing the car after adding more power.

Unless you seriously know what you're doing, mod this car VERY carefully when it comes to power and handling. This car isn't being developed by amateurs, nor is it being balanced/tuned for street use so the standard things you may have done for your SS won't apply here.
All very true, but you know that firms such as Lingenfelter and Hennessy will be releasing turbo packages for the Z/28 asap, just as they have for the Z06. Even at a low 5-6psi, that's 150hp that's passing power in between turns 5 and 6. I agree with you on the braking and suspension components/hardware...probably not a lot of room for improvement there.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #47
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
No need for forced induction. LS7s respond well to all of the standard NA power adders, real long tube headers, ported heads, and a nice cam. I'm real interested to see how the power train holds up or if improvements have been made. I'm talking about clutch and the hydraulics, tranny syncros, diff, and half shafts. And the dam axle cv boots. I've had issues with all of those.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #48
TrueStreetMotorSports.com

Drives: 2010 F450
Sounds great
TrueStreetMotorSports.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #49
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
I don't know what they've done to the Z/28's exhaust but not only does it sound different from the Vette but it sounds quite a bit better! Man what a gorgeous sound!
Yes it has a very deep almost "true" big block sound with less rasp then the Z06...IMO
Old 09-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #50
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I don't think that's the case here. Or even in the Z/28 threads. The ZL1 is a great car. It does it ALL. We regulars in the Z/28 threads have wanted a car that was track oriented "only". That's the only reason we're not more focused on the ZL1.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #51
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

If you can have both a track focused car and the ability to drive it on the street why not? (Porsche GT3RS) Just numbers alone will make it possible for more ZL1's than Z/28's to be tracked.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #52
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Al O all but confirmed they're working on a new manufacturers championship series which will require the car be street legal to qualify. Which explains why Dodge and Ford are jumping in at this (expensive) level.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #53
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Al O all but confirmed they're working on a new manufacturers championship series which will require the car be street legal to qualify. Which explains why Dodge and Ford are jumping in at this (expensive) level.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #54
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...posting before watching the clip, there's been quite a delay. Rationally, I don't see a reason why there has been such a long time inbetween testing footage. Me thinks there are things still to be sorted out. October price and information release?
Old 09-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #55
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...posting before watching the clip, there's been quite a delay. Rationally, I don't see a reason why there has been such a long time inbetween testing footage. Me thinks there are things still to be sorted out. October price and information release?
Surprising how long it's taking for any info.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #56
pgviper

Drives: 67 Pro Touring Camaro
Send a message via AIM to pgviper
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
It's like ketchup on a filet mignon.
Nobody would be able to say it any better haha.
pgviper is offline   Reply With Quote