Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
relapsing

Drives: 2011 Silver Camaro SS
Skip Shift Problem

I recently brought my car to a shop to have new tires put on + adjust the height of the coils. The mechanic went ahead and resetted my check engine light.

For the past 2 weeks when the skip shift screen pops up (1-4), i'm locked out of 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gear......FOREVER! I've had my car since 2011 and whenever the skip shift screen comes on, I get locked out for a couple seconds and then it lets me back in. The first time this happened I pulled over, turned off the car and turned it back on and it let me back into all gears. However, this happened again yesterday and I was locked out for about 15 minutes. The skip shift screen popped up again while I was locked out and when it went away, it unlocked the gears...

I've gone ahead and ordered a skip shift eliminator, but i'm not sure if it's going to work. http://www.amazon.com/SLP-Performanc.../dp/B002WBRRHE

Anyone have any idea why this happening? Any help is appreciated!
relapsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
That should prevent the lock out from being able to physically activate but there seems to be a deeper problem. CAGS is definitely not functioning properly.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
relapsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
That should prevent the lock out from being able to physically activate but there seems to be a deeper problem. CAGS is definitely not functioning properly.
Do you think it's possible that when the mechanic got rid of the CEL, something might've affected the CAGS?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #4
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
What was the code for the check engine light before it was cleared? Before my tune, it would lock out 2&3 for a few seconds, but not 5th and not forever. If your not out of warranty and not heavily modded, take it to the dealership.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
relapsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
What was the code for the check engine light before it was cleared? Before my tune, it would lock out 2&3 for a few seconds, but not 5th and not forever. If your not out of warranty and not heavily modded, take it to the dealership.
The CEL was for the 02 sensors since i'm catless (according to the mechanic).

Only mods I have are:
1. K&N Intake
2. Ark N-II Exhaust System
3. JBA Mid-Pipe
4. BC Racing Coilovers

I have 7 year warranty so i'm good but a friend of mine told me the dealership could void my warranty for the mid-pipe and coilovers
Old 01-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
If they void you for those mods, they would just be total a$$es. Unless when the shop that installed the exhaust damaged some wiring or the exhaust is in contact with the wiring and melted the insulation. Doubtful though. The CAGS wiring is up high on the trans, iirc, but never know.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by relapsing View Post
Do you think it's possible that when the mechanic got rid of the CEL, something might've affected the CAGS?
I don't see what he could have done to cause it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relapsing View Post
I have 7 year warranty so i'm good but a friend of mine told me the dealership could void my warranty for the mid-pipe and coilovers
That would be illegal under federal law. Neither the dealership or GM can outright void your warranty due simply to the presence of aftermarket parts. They can only deny a warranty repair claim IF the issue is question is a direct result of the modification.

Will This Modification Void My Warranty?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #8
AG1LE

Drives: '14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
They can only deny a warranty repair claim IF the issue is question is a direct result of the modification.
In theory I believe this is true, but in practice it may not be as easy as it sounds. A good dealership will be reasonable and work with you, but a not-so-good dealership may just throw their hands up and blame the problem on your mods because that's the easiest solution for them. Be prepared to push them a bit (respectfully) if they start claiming a direct connection to your mods that doesn't make sense, or that they can't fully explain. At the end of the day they can do whatever they want (reasonable or not), but given the issue you're having, I think it's worth a shot.
AG1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
relapsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
In theory I believe this is true, but in practice it may not be as easy as it sounds. A good dealership will be reasonable and work with you, but a not-so-good dealership may just throw their hands up and blame the problem on your mods because that's the easiest solution for them. Be prepared to push them a bit (respectfully) if they start claiming a direct connection to your mods that doesn't make sense, or that they can't fully explain. At the end of the day they can do whatever they want (reasonable or not), but given the issue you're having, I think it's worth a shot.
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to install the skip shift eliminator and see what happens first. I'd like to stay away from dealerships as much as possible!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWNERW View Post
No doubt, there are dealerships that try to take advantage of their customers ignorance. But it is your responsibility to know better and stand up. You have the law on your side. If they try to claim that your air intake is causing your driver's side window to not operate or something outrageous like that you need to speak to a manager. If that doesn't get you anywhere you need to get in touch with GM customer service. You also need to notify them both of your intentions to contact the state attorney general office if the matter is not resolved.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
Edge1

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
this same scenario just happened to me today. I became completely locked out of 2nd and third gears for a couple of miles. guess it is going back to the dealership. car is completely stock. Did a CAGS eliminator fix the OP's problem?
Edge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge1 View Post
this same scenario just happened to me today. I became completely locked out of 2nd and third gears for a couple of miles. guess it is going back to the dealership. car is completely stock. Did a CAGS eliminator fix the OP's problem?
Edge1,

Sincere apologies to hear about the transmission concerns. Though you're seeking opinions, I'd be happy to communicate this with the designated Customer Experience Manager (CEM) at your preferred dealer if you feel an official diagnosis is necessary. Feel free to message us privately if you'd like to proceed, or discuss this situation further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
The skip-shift eliminator will only allow you to go in second. So you'll have access to 1st, 2nd, and 4th. AFAIK, you'll still be locked out of 3rd as the connection is only severed to the second gear lockout solenoid.

EDIT: I'll check when I get home! Great excuse to go out for a drive!
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
The skip-shift eliminator will only allow you to go in second. So you'll have access to 1st, 2nd, and 4th. AFAIK, you'll still be locked out of 3rd as the connection is only severed to the second gear lockout solenoid.

EDIT: I'll check when I get home! Great excuse to go out for a drive!
It shouldn't lock you out of third after putting in a skip shift eliminator.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote