Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Ford Boss 302

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2955

Ford announced at the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) show that it is reviving the legendary 5.0-liter 302 cubic inch V-8 engine for the aftermarket with a new line of BOSS 302 crate engines, which will go on sale in early 2007.

Making its debut in 1969, the original BOSS 302 powered a limited production Mustang model sold for two years, which was known as the BOSS 302. The car got its name from the legendary engine that powered the Mustang to a Sports Car Club of American Trans-Am series win in 1970.

''The original BOSS 302 was a race winning engine. Sharing the DNA from the original BOSS 302, the new BOSS 302 begins with a block designed with racing in mind from the beginning,'' said Jamie Allison, manager, Ford Racing Performance Group. ''Whether racing in a sealed engine class, building an all-out drag racing engine or looking for a street performer, the BOSS 302 block and engine family meets the needs of all Ford 302 enthusiasts at a price that is comparable to a performance-prepped stock 302.''

The new Ford Racing Performance Parts BOSS 302 line was conceived because there was an unmet need for engines built from a block stronger than original regular production 302 blocks but more affordable than full race-prepped blocks. The new BOSS 302 engine block features greater strength than most race blocks and offers a street-capable cooling system design, something that race specific blocks tend to sacrifice.

Despite its strength and capability, the new BOSS 302 line is surprisingly affordable because of its high volume production. And since it was designed within Ford Motor Company, the engine also benefits from the improved quality and durability that comes with a production type engine.

''The original BOSS 302 delivered less than 300 hp. Today, enthusiasts are making 500 hp street cars and they need a robust block. Race-specific blocks offer the strength required but cool poorly for street use and are very expensive for the average enthusiast,'' says Allison.

Built from the all new BOSS 302 block, the BOSS crate engines feature performance and packaging that accommodate displacements from 302 to 363 cubic inches. Entry level engines feature the Ford Racing GT-40X Xtra Performance Turbo Swirl aluminum heads to retain stock exhaust locations and are rated at 340 and 345 hp. Higher performance versions include Ford Racing's ''Z''-head equipped 302 and 347 cubic inch engines rated between 360 and 450 hp, depending on configuration. The BOSS engine series is capped by a 500 hp 331 cubic inch engine that showcases the capability of the new block by breathing through all new ported Z-heads.

The suggested retail price for the BOSS 302 block is and affordable $1,759, with BOSS engines ranging from $4,650 to $10,000 for the 500 hp BOSS 331 cubic inch engines. The engines come with a 12 month/12,000 mile limited warranty.

Like the original Boss 302 that was engineered for Trans Am racing, the new BOSS 302 features trickle down performance from racing in the American Speed Association (ASA) Late Model circle track series. A sealed circle track version of a 347 cubic inch BOSS engine will be available both for ASA and NASCAR circle track racers in time for the 2007 season.

Someone getting a little worried over here???
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392

Not bad. A little too "boy racer" for me though.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
did it say they had to use forced induction on that 500hp engine? I mean I think it might have been in fine print but that's the only way to get good hp out of them fords. lol.

Last edited by boxmonkeyracing; 12-08-2006 at 04:41 PM. Reason: I said car instead of engine. dumb arse.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I see the blue Boss Mustang Moose posted. Is that the actual boss concept? I was told that there is an original "boss green" (don't know what the green color was actually called) concept picture floating around the internet. Ford, I was told by my Roush owning co-worker, is coming out with two new concepts to compete with the Camaro. The boss is one of them and I can't remember what the other was called. I'm looking for info on the net about it. Personally, I like the looks of that blue Boss pictured above. Too bad it's going to be near impossible for any Ford fan to get their hands on one at a reasonable price. I'm sure it'll end up just like the GT500...a $50k vehicle marked up to $70k. I sure hope that these dealers get screwed over when the following year model comes out and they can't sell any of the first years. I'm sick of the price gouging all the way around.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
I have seen a couple of the Boss Mustangs in Roush’s Parking lot in Dearborn. From what I have been told the boss was going to be an appearance package only. With all the competition soon to be released you never know what could happen…

Plus, it was not going to be called a BOSS 302 because Ford does not have a 302 modular engine.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:16 AM   #6
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
I really like that car, all of the looks of the original with a current touch.
As much as I'm tired of all of the tuned Mustangs available right now, this one in those colors really stands out for me
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote