Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Question What can the stock LS3 bottom end handle?

I'm sure i'll get many differenct answers here, but i'm looking for multiple opinions. I was around 610-620 whp for about 6 months before my CAM install (today)...between CAM and a few other updates, i'm expecting to be 660-680. I was planning to pulley down to get 700+, but i'm concerned about my bottom end if i break the 700 mark.

At the moment I have stock bottom end, clutch, drive shaft, axels & diff. The clutch is the only thing i'm changing proactively (sitting in my garage), although the stock clutch has served me fine the last 6 months.

I've heard 600 is the safe mark, but i know a few folks who have past that w/o issue (so far)...

If you are at or over 700 whp on a stock bottom end, i'd be curious how long and how often do you race/WOT pulls? On a side note, i'd also be curious to know if you broke a drive shaft, axel, etc...
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
My advice would be don't pulley down. Leave the power where its at after the cam. Also think your in dual fuel pump and ID-850 injector territory. As long as you have enough fuel supply, good tune and octane I think mid-high 600's will be good. PD blowers like the Whipple put more strain on everything plus they eat up more power than a turbo or centri setup. Over 700Rwhp WITH a centri is probably like mid 600's with a PD. What people can get away with on those blowers is probably not the same as what you can get away with on a PD blower. I would think a 9inch, 12 bolt, or ZL1 rearend is in your near future. Really surprised you have not broken anything already with that kind of supercharger and power. Good luck and remember dont skimp on fuel delivery..
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
I can't say personally (Til March) but you can look up scottywheels setup on here. He was at about 750rwhp, with a centri. I agree with the above.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
ginsberg2@hotmail.com
Account Suspended

Drives: ls3 camaro
jannetty racing and don have a 800 rwhp stock bottom end car. it runs nines. and they have many many passes on it.
it can do so and live, only because of ted's tuning.
ginsberg2@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
I went through similar hp gains. I had problems with the syncros in the tranny. I have a manual with aftermarket 4.10's. the after market gears had to be replaced. I proactively switched the axles. All in all I rebuilt the tranny, switched to a DSS 9 inch rear, dropped the gears down to 3.70. Also upgraded injectors and went to a dual fuel pump. I run a little over 650 rwhp and most of this stuff had to be done. I built up my block as well, this is highly debatable if it was necessary. Stroke kit add a lot of torque and you get piece of mind knowing you have forged internals
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

The bigger fuel injectors will allow to raise the rev limiter. Please keep in mind my opinions are for a manual. I waited/expected for things to break and they did. I am pulley down to 2.8 My car is actually being finished up this week, I should be around the 700rwhp mark
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Old 01-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Last comment lol. Stroke kit adds torque but more importantly it drops peak torque into the useable range ... over 600 at 4500 rpms wasn't getting that before
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If you can perfect the tuning where you're at, I wouldn't mess with more boost. Be thankful it hasn't grenaded yet. The tuning is the key to survival. Not longevity. That went out the window when you boosted a motor with flat top cast pistons. You can't add big boost and hundreds of additional hp to a stock motor and expect OE like reliability/longevity. But top quality tuning can make it survive for quite a while.

If tuned really good, the motor can handle quite a bit of mods. Clutch, driveshaft, diff, axles... may be a different story. I'd do upgrades there. Trans internal upgrades too if the budget allows.

The problem is there is no safety margin. A cast flat top piston not designed for boost has no safety margin if it runs into detonation under boost. It will fracture the upper ring lands or blow a hole through the top. It will beat up the small rod bolts.

Compare an LSA piston side by side to an LS3 piston. The LS3 takes advantage of the flat top design, great for power for N/A. The LSA piston is dished, upper ring lands are moved down, piston top designed to handle the load in the dished center instead of the fragile edges. Then an LS9 piston even takes it one step further being forged. Plus...improvements all over in strength... head gaskets/bolts, crank, rods, piston squirters... non of that in an LS3. The piston squirters are a big deal for a boosted motor to control hot spots from forming on the pistons. Keepin the pistons cool, another key to avoiding detonation. Pistons are very application specific. At high boost, it is way out of the comfort zone of a cast flat top with no oil squirters. But it can survive with really good tuning.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
So how much boost can I do on a Stock bottom end

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
I was told by a pretty good shop after they paid through the nose to get an SS for testing early 2010 that 10 psi on the stock motor and any more always destroyed a piston. I know a lot has been learned in all areas since then. Here is what I have learned from all the knowledge I've seen come across this forum.

1. Octane is the limiting factor(Mr. Jannetty)
2. Fuel supply and tuning properly is a must
3. Eliminate potential problems-Cats-trunion failure-dual valve springs
4. Axels break and Trans brake around 630 RWHP after that everything else
5. If you're going to double the power on a motor not designed for it you better have 10-12K for a quality shortblock install (or do it yourself)

Man, make that power and run the crap out of that thing! It'll be fun and it's not going to last forever anyway. So enjoy it, get tuned by the best possible and don't worry about it. One thing is for sure. When it goes , you're gonna know it. Good luck , let us know some feedback for the future on your success with the project.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #11
SS_Diaz

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2SS
Send a message via Yahoo to SS_Diaz
There was a thread on here somewhere covering this same question. Can't find it but in a nutshell, it broke down the recommended parts needed for 600hp, 650, 700 and so on. If i find it i'll link it
Old 01-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
MS7

Drives: 2011 camaro LS3 supercharger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Diaz View Post
There was a thread on here somewhere covering this same question. Can't find it but in a nutshell, it broke down the recommended parts needed for 600hp, 650, 700 and so on. If i find it i'll link it

very interesting.. i would like to know what is necessary things to upgrade my parts.
i try to google it but i can't find the thread!!!:(:(
MS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS7 View Post
very interesting.. i would like to know what is necessary things to upgrade my parts.
i try to google it but i can't find the thread!!!:(:(
I believe this is the article that you were looking for:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...e/viewall.html
ECS base supercharger (NOVI 1500SL), ECS AlKY control kit, 92mm TB, ARH 1 7/8" LT's non-catted, Borla 3" exhaust, ID850 injectors, Squash fuel system, ECS Big Blower Cam, MGW short throw shifter, DSS 1000hp axles, LGW differential cover, billet caps, Tech AFX heater hoses, Pedders differential bushings, Eaton TrueTrac differential, PRC dual valve springs, Katech C5R timing chain, ATI balancer, Meilings oil pump, Pfadt Trailing Arms, Pfadt Tie Rods, Pfadt Sway Bars, Pfadt End Links, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft

811RWHP/719RWTQ

UNDER MAJOR OVERHAUL!!
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #14
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

ahh the what breaks on 2010 camaro article ... that article is deadly accurate ...